back to article Apple iPad 3 Sim-only contracts compared

Many of you may have already purchased your new iPads directly from the Apple store, and as such will probably be looking for a Sim-only deal to make the most of your device on the move. We've compiled a list of the deals out there for you to consider. While Three again offers a commendable data package, with 10GB for £15, T- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Audrey S. Thackeray

'Fair use policy'

What happens when you exceed T-Mobiles ungenerous 1GB limit on its unlimited tariff?

Does it throttle? If so to what extent?

1. Only me!

Re: 'Fair use policy'

It cuts off steaming and uploads, you can still email, surf........I think that is about it....but of course go over too often and they will want to change your deal, not sure how active they are about it all.

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Thanks, Only me!.

Leaving aside the whole issue of the definition of 'unlimited' this seems like an unusually low fair use limit - you'd expect most people going for an unlimited tariff to hit that amount every month (otherwise they'd go for a deal like 3's which either has the same limit but is cheaper or provides a lot more headroom for a small extra outlay).

So I am not sure who they are trying to attract with that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err

Is this the same iPad3 that will never work on the UK's 4G network because it uses the wrong version of LTE??

I wonder how many of the 10 people camped out to buy one knew that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Err

Yay downvoting because that makes it less true....

Ok then...

FACT: The LTE chipset in the iPad3 is worthless, it won't ever work on European LTE 4G networks...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Something that we might get rolled out to us in five years time, by then most people would have upgraded anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I didn't buy one for the LTE, I bought one because it's a significant upgrade and a really good tablet.

Down voting this won't change the facts either

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ohh looky a google fan slagging off apple

any chance of you posting into a google story to defend them?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/16/regulators_probe_google_over_safari/

Nah of course not. What a wonker you can only attack apple

3. Jeebus

But which is the coolest to loudly talk about in a coffee shop full of other tits?

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

A grown up attitude that. Just because you don't like the device, you follow the Samsung line of trying to apply an offensive stereotype. Yeah. Really constructive.

Now, if you'd made a valid technical or financial point (Which there are some valid Android benefits in either), then you'd have my respect, maybe even an up vote, as although I have an iPad and an iPhone, that's because they suit my needs, not because I'm blinded by Samsung/Google/Microsoft/Sony/Apple advertisements.

4. John Riddoch
    Thumb Down

Someone needs a dictionary...

"Unlimited Wi-fi" and "limited to 10GB/month" are contradictory. If you're putting a limit on something, surely it's false advertising to call it "unlimited"?

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Someone needs a dictionary...

You know that.

I know that.

Most of the people who read El Reg will know that.

The ASA, however, don't.

5. Pete Burgess

bit pissed that the data tethering announced only appears to be on Verizon is the US, hopefully it'll be enabled in a future software update...

6. Steve Potz-Rayner

Alternatives to the Big Five

What about giffgaff?

They do tablet plans, which are truly unlimited and run across the O2 infrastructure. Ten quid a month I think, no contract.

Ok their site is down right now (!) because of something on the fritz but their data service is still running fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Alternatives to the Big Five

giffgaff do not offer unlimited usage in tablet and dongles so no, in this case giffgaff isn't suitable,

not to mention at all usable at this present moment in time.

7. DominicT
    WTF?

Unlimited on 3

It seems a bit much not to mention the 15 quid rolling monthly contract on 3 which gives you genuinely unlimited data. That has to be the best bargain.

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Unlimited on 3

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband/iPad/The_new_iPad Can only report on what the company claims.. There is only mention of 10GB for the £15 rolling contract.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why sell a 4G version where there is no 4G?

Surely that is Fraud or breach of trade descriptions act or something?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why sell a 4G version where there is no 4G?

No

From apples Website

Built with the latest in wireless technology, the new iPad lets you connect to fast data networks around the world — up to 4G LTE.2

2. 4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details.

It's in the small print, but that's all the law requires

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iFad?

As these clever clever gods (who us mere mortals we can only bow before their greatness) point out the new iPad is totally rubbish. Wow it's just as well we have these same guys posting on EVERY SINGLE iPad thread pointing out how bad it is so the folk reading here are warned off it....

Gee it must be so bad that they feel compelled to tell us on every single article. I'm sure their extensive knowledge of previous models / the current model and specifically it's LTE capabilities is up there with the best...

These Android tablets and Windows 7 / 8 tablets are eating it alive!!!

10. Cleverfiend

I just buy the 3month/3Gb sims on Three from Amazon/Ebay. You get 3 months of service or 3Gb depending on which runs out first - average around £12 a sim. I use less than half of the allowance but it still works out a bargain at £4 a month (you need a sim cutter if you follow this route).

11. Fuzz

t-mobile

Why would you sign your life away for 18 months? Just buy yourself a prepay dongle, £29.99 gets you 90 days of "unllmited" access and a dongle. At the end of the 90 days just buy yourself a new dongle or have a look around for a better deal. Sell the dongles on ebay to recoup some of the money.

To anybody suggesting giffgaff, give me a break. I have a giffgaff sim in my phone and the data service is appalling.

12. Alienrat

Giffgaff data plans are £7.50/1GB, £12.50/3Gb

I still have an existing £7.50/3GB data service from 3, so I think I will hold onto that one!

13. Sklar

Cleverfiend knows the score, £11-£12 for a 3gb 90day Three sim. When depleted just get another. If you're handy with a knife or have a sim cutter they're a no brainer. Hell even Argos sell them for £20 already in micro sim format, still not a bad deal.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cleverfiend knows the score, £11-£12 for a 3gb 90day Three sim."

It's a good option for low(ish) usage but still only 1Gb per month or £4 per Gb whichever way you look at it.

The Three £15 for 10Gb would work out cheaper if you were using more than 4Gb per month.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like