back to article Apple Store staff outnumber queues as new iPad goes on sale

Braying hordes of fanbois hungry for new iPads failed to turn up outside Blighty's Apple stores today despite months of rumour, hype and speculation. Although slab shoppers were nonchalant in London, they were positively wet in Scotland. A queue of hundreds swiftly ebbed away outside the fruity tech titan's Regent Street …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

What kind of div would stand in the rain...

...oh wait, an El Reg photographer!

1. LarsG

Re: What kind of div would stand in the rain...

Well they are now being sold on for over £1000!!!!!

Order one on the Apple site now and the wait is only two weeks. My delivery date 5th April.

What mug is stupid enough to buy it for that price.

Not me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

just out of interest

Do they get free laser etching in the store?

1. Ian McNee
          Gimp

Re: just out of interest

Yes - on the forehead: iMugged

2. mfraz

Re: What kind of div would stand in the rain...

£1000 for an ElReg photographer? I'll take 3!

2. thesykes

the numpty who queued 4 days for one must've been just a tad pissed off at the bloke who arrived at nine and just walked in and bought one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think young Mr Ali has way too much time on his hands and obviously more money than sense to boot!

1. mraak

Come on...

You don't have to be really rich to afford a gadget like iPad.

1. Alan 6

@mraak

You may not have to be rich, but I'd say at least 80% of the population couldn't spare the sort of cash needed to fund an Apple addiction...

2. TheFirstChoice

Re: Come on...

No, but you do need more money than sense...

2. Gary Riches

Have you never realised people who more money than you could possibly have _more_ sense than you?

The Reg hasn't covered it so no one is to know but the guy at the front is brain damaged. He does amazing things considering his disability and he was queueing with the help of his friends and family.

1. Paul_Murphy

I have just read up on him, he has aspergers, likes Apple products a lot and goes to apple in-store tutorials since he has finished school - so apple is where he is learning now.

We wants to work at Apple some day

Good luck to him.

1. Arctic fox
            Thumb Up

@Paul_Murphy:Re. "We wants to work at Apple some day..........

.............Good luck to him."

Despite the fact that I and my good lady do not have a singe Apple product in the house (and have no desire to), I heartily agree - we wish him nothing but the best.

2. Simpson
      Thumb Up

Zohaib needs more practice on giving a thumbs-up.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hello.. Apple Store, how may I help?

What time do you open, I want to buy an iPad 3?

What time can you get here?

I'll get my coat...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The TNT driver who delivered mine this morning had his truck full of them.

Tesco selling them at 00:01 possibly also helped keep the queues low.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Tesco didn't honour their accidentally low advertised price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

would you, if it meant you were losing money?

2. tommy060289
        Big Brother

cynical maybe

But I doubt it was accidental...

nothing like a bit of controversy to remind the public that 'hey, we sell iPads too ya know!'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who paid

for the barriers - must have had local council/police OK - obstruction of the pavement is an offence.

PS - the look of those Apple staff doesn't fill me with confidence in their skills. I did say "look" though. does anyone know any good questions to see if the staff are up to speed (or to wind them up?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who paid

Apple probably paid for the barriers, this is normal with a 'sales' like event.

Westminster Council are very fussy about the pavement being blocked, especially across the road in Soho where they will impose the most draconian measures and threaten to shut the business down, whereas their contractors can get away with blue murder.

2. PaulR79

How to wind up Apple staff? Ask them what version of Android it runs perhaps.

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@PaulR79 "Re: Who paid". Indeed,the temptation to ask them when it............

...........will get it's ICS update would be irresistible!

-:)

AF.

2. Nuke
        Thumb Up

Apple Staff Wind Up

Bring up a full screen bash terminal session on one of their demo laptops, type a random comand like "ls -al" and leave it that way. It won't fit their image.

3. Brezhnev's Shadow
      Holmes

Ask them what a MAC address is ;)

6. Paul Renault

"Apple Store staff outnumber queues". Well, of course!

Just how many queues do you need? Do you really need more than one queue?

Anyway, from what I could tell from the photos, even if there would have been more than one queue, the store staff would STILL have outnumbered the queuees.

Unless you count empty queues.

1. P. Lee
      Headmaster

Doesn't "staff" cover all the employees?

In which case, there would be an equal number of queues and staff.

Unless the purchasers get out of hand and start forming queues in different places. Is there a One True Till in an Apple shop, or are their many paths to Purchase?

I suppose one or more of the staff could have brought a staff into the shop, but that might mean they meant to go to a WoW convention. It does seem unlikely though - would you bring the Staff of Weirdness [+2 Clapping] to work? Oh wait...

I'm not sure what happens if the staff have a staff infection.

It's time to get my coat.

7. tmTM

Fanbois?

The terms seems to get some peoples backs up. But when they turn up to buy the item 4 days before it's released I think all of the mocking is appropriate.

The lack of normal stupidity is a good sign, perhaps people have finally realised that queuing at midnight to buy the next, slightly updated version of what you already have is a complete mugs game.

1. Kevin 6

Re: Fanbois?

Nah doubt people learned "that queuing at midnight to buy the next, slightly updated version of what you already have is a complete mugs game."

I think its more along the lines of Steve Jobs being dead. Without anyone doing huge press reviews, while wearing a black turtle neck to look different, telling them it was the newest most revolutionary device ever made that would make their life complete they obviously didn't queue up.

2. ThomH
      Joke

Re: Fanbois?

In this case the term fanbois would offend me since only exactly one person turned up four days early. What are you going to do next? Split the infinitive?

8. Mondo the Magnificent
    Happy

To quote the last "sensible" iPad 3 article...

IT'S JUST AN iPAD, FFS

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most sensible people either pre-ordered, or bought from other retailers that either opened early (PC World etc) or ordered from John Lewis to take advantage of the 2 year warranty instead of the usual 1 year warranty.

1. Tim Parker

Warranty

"or ordered from John Lewis to take advantage of the 2 year warranty instead of the usual 1 year warranty."

The European Directive 1999/44/EC says all EU countries have to ensure a retailer can be held liable for all "non-conformities" which manifest within two years from delivery, and the Sale Of Goods Act should cover faults in the goods themselves (for the thick end of the six years given the premium status and price associated with Apple). The John Lewis route would most likely be the more convenient route however, but not the only one.

1. Jon Press

Re: Warranty

They can, but under the Sale of Goods Act the responsibility is on the consumer to prove the "non conformity" after 6 months of ownership in the event of the retailer not cooperating. A two year "no questions" warrant is more than just "likely" to be more convenient than paying an independent expert to prove the fault and then attempting to recoup that from the retailer.

1. Tim Parker

Re: Warranty

"A two year "no questions" warrant is more than just "likely" to be more convenient than paying an independent expert to prove the fault and then attempting to recoup that from the retailer."

Of course - "in the event of the retailer not cooperating" as you say - but the 'likely' was taking into account those retailers for which this would not be an issue, as well as those that would. My own experience with taking goods back to high street retailers for faulty goods outside of the usual one year warranty has so far been very good (although perhaps not a huge sample size) - which suggests that some of them, at least, tend to understand the intent of the law - and/or the potential issues of nick-picking the letter of it.

I'm not knocking the extra convenience of John Lewis' warranty - it's something I use when judging purchases myself, even if it's not (in reality) a 'no questions' one - I was merely try to highlight certain rights for those that might not be 100% aware.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No - most sensible people wouldnt buy one

3. tommy060289

judging by the state of the iMac at an apple store that had been 'repaired' by JL

I'd rather give my iMac to the cretins on Jeremy Kyle to repair.

A girl I met at an apple store a few months ago had brought in her iMac as John Lewis had sent the thing back worse than what it was sent in. Covered in gunk, issue not fixed and a chipped stand.

4. Mage Silver badge

... pre-ordered, or bought from other retailers ...

Or didn't and won't buy one at all.

10. Lord Lien

@ Mondo the Magnificent....

... its more than just an Ipad... its..... its..... OK, your right its just an iPad.

11. g e
    WTF?

Blimey

Must admit to being completely amazed - I expected hordes of braying fanbois (and gurlz) to be taking up entire blocks of pavement, all a-twitter about how they're queueing for a V3 via their V2 tablets with their V1 as a backup in case the battery died.

But no. It's like some kind of crazy outbreak of common sense or something.

Maybe everyone mail-ordered this time round? Perhaps bosses got wise and wouldn't allow any annual leave on a launch day to improve their own chances!

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Re: Blimey

Even fanbois had to get it sooner or later.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Simple...

If you're sleeping Rough the best place is outside an Apple Store, you just tell the Fuzz you're queueing for the latest iWhatever and you don't get moved on, there's also a good chance of getting your face in the paper and (maybe) a free cup of Coffee.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Co incidence

One of our execs has just returned his iPad2 to the service desk with a massive dent in the side and unresponsive controls.

Funnily enough his iPad1 screen mysteriously shattered on the launch day of the iPad2.

I'm pleased his bad luck won't mean a long queue for whichever wonk has to head over to Apple's shop with a corporate credit card.

1. DrXym

Re: Co incidence

I don't see any reason to tolerate someone doing this even if they are an exec. Send his iPad off for repair and tell him it will take two weeks before he gets it back or give him a refurb.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why is his business case for a Hi-Res screen? He'll get a v2 unless he geniunely has a case for a V3.

No-one has the bollox to say it tho.

1. P. Lee
          Trollface

He needs the better camera for marketing videos of himself for the intranet.

2. Tom 35

I had that problem where I used to work with BlackBerry. I kept some old models (had one B/W one that I threatened them with) and that soon put an end to Opps I slipped, oh I hear there is a new model. Same for Laptops a nice D800 tank while we get yours serviced.

1. Vic

> a nice D800 tank while we get yours serviced.

Don't suppose you've got any D600s, have you?

Mine has started to fail quite badly...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Happened twice now?

Time to sign him up for the "Caring for our IT equipment" course. I'm sure BOFH could think up some of the course content.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More retailers selling them and the two I ordered (via the Apple Store) turned up separately by Syncreon and then TNT - both drivers said their vans and the other drivers leaving their depots were stacked high with iPads.

15. DrXym

Let's all think different...

... by queueing in single file for hours in the rain to buy an electronic gadget.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's all think different...

....till thinking differently means NOT purchasing Apple!

All of these individuals being individual...........

W O W The STUPIDITY of people is off the scale!

2. craigj

Did you even read the article? Turns out very few people actually did that

1. DrXym

It said the queue went around two sides of the building so probably a hundred people, all queuing up before the doors open in the rain.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least Samsung won't shoot themselves in the foot again slagging off potential customers by ridiculing them for queueing.

1. Tim Parker

Re : Samsung

"At least Samsung won't shoot themselves in the foot again slagging off potential customers by ridiculing them for queueing."

They're just jealous - I would imagine Samsung customers are not allowed to queue for fear of infringing Apples patent on 'A System And Method Of Managing Customer Units Intending To Purchase A Superfluous Mobile Electronic Device In Any Of A Plurality Of Weather Conditions'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Of course

they weren't ridiculing them for queuing per-se, they were ridiculing them for queuing because of Apple hype..

"How will people know it's a 4s, it looks the same as the old one" should have been the clue that it's not about the product it'self, it's about what people THINK of you owning one...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Of course

To the down voter..."Boo Hoo" thats the way it is, sorry! Everyone does it, not just 'cause you own a device that's deemed fisher-price thick and looks so out of date, but also 'cause of the way you look, the colour of your skin, your "fashion", your footy team.....etc......Pick one!

Get over it. Be seen with one, be labeled (usually thick tw t).

1. Tom 38
          Stop

Re: Of course

Why is it only the fandroids who like to decide precisely every thing about a person simply from their choice of phone.

You may label me a thick twat, but Obviously, you are an obnoxious twat.

17. PassiveSmoking
    Stop

Given that one of the biggest new features doesn't work in the UK and probably won't for years to come (LTE), this isn't that much of a surprise.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Did you not see that Orange (Everything Everywhere?) are being given the chance to launch it this year?

1. PassiveSmoking

Yes. I also saw the total poop storm the other operators are kicking up over that announcement and their intention to complain to Ofcom

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry fanboys, bad news.

LTE in the iPad3 is not compatible with European LTE, so even if Orange do launch soon, it's not going to ever work on your iPad3...

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44814/at-t-4g-ipad-not-work-uk

Ouch, that's gotta hurt, makes you look a little fucking stupid I would guess. Still I don't expect your barista friends will know what LTE or 4G is, and you can always pretend it's an iPad2...

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Eh?

The iPad 3 still has improved GSM 3G support, including all the more recent HSPA-related acronyms. Some of those are actually being touted in some countries as "4G" too. (Quite legally, I might add. There's no official definition of what "4G" actually means anyway.)

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Quick..

Get some PR out that says how many Apple shipped and how it's GPU is a gizillion times quicker than Tegra3 devices blah blah blah...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quick..

Did your parents used to beat you with an iBook or something?

19. RainForestGuppy
    Holmes

Like the story goes...

'Then one boy cried out "The Emperor has no clothes on, and the crowd gasped, then one by one they all cried "The Emperor has no clothes on" and they laughed at how foolish they had been'

Nothing wrong with Apple technology (but I wouldn't use it because of the Apple's absolute control of content business model) but maybe people are waking up to the fact the the refresh of an existing product is nothing to get all excited about.

1. fandom

Re: Like the story goes...

"they laughed at how foolish they had been'"

That's the point where you can tell that the story is a hoax, in real life nobody would have listened to the little boy.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

"'Then one boy cried out "The Emperor has no clothes on, and the crowd gasped, then one by one they all cried "The Emperor has no clothes on" and they laughed at how foolish they had been'"

This, from the country that not only worships "reality TV", but played a rather large part in making that genre such a staple of Western entertainment today?

Also, say what you will about Apple, but at least they're up front about their aim: to make a profit. They don't "accidentally" steal your personal data while claiming to be doing "no evil" either.

1. O RLY
        Big Brother

Google are precisely why I won't buy an Android phone. The phrase "Don't Be Evil" always struck me as honest and genuine as "Ministry of Love".

20. Le Dao

I bought one!

Mainly out of surprise, thought I would wait until April and the rush had died down. Then walked past Albion an Apple Reseller on the Strand who had them in stock and no queue. So choice was buy one with no fuss, or walk into Covent Garden and join the Queue, which was 4000+ I was told, easy decision.

Strange Apple said they were doing a lot to get the product out unlike previous launches and now we criticise them because there aren't queues and lots of people are actually getting them. Lets see what the sales numbers look like as I don't think anyone thinks this is a flop launch. As a product its a big improvement for displaying photo's which is my main reason for the iPad, which the 2 didn't massively improve.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I bought one!

I haven't read any comment in here so far criticising Apple for not having queues. Mostly, people are criticising the people who line up in these queues, and a few wondering if a little bit of common sense is starting to prevail.

So no need to get your knickers in a bunch - nobody's slagging your beloved iPad

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I am!

And to justify your purchase clearly highlights the inner shame burning inside you.

And rightly so, ......purchased for displaying photos..... yeah right! Not clever enough to purchase a digital photo frame, or are you’re going to continue justifying your stupidity with more nonsense reasons as to why a photo frame isn’t sufficient........ PLEASE!

1. Richard 116

Christ. Give it rest.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Fine, I'll give you one reason: show us the "photo frame" that has a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution display with excellent viewing angles. And which can also double as a general-purpose tablet.

No?

Thought not.

You are certainly entitled to your opinions, but we are not obliged in any way to either respect them, or their source.

After all, you're the one who persists in trolling comment threads on Apple-related stories. At least those queuing Apple customers are outside, not sitting in their mother's basement having a smug sneer, while crying inside over your lack of social skills.

If this sort of this is what your entire life has come to, I pity you. Maybe you have Aspergers. Maybe you're just a dickhead. Either way, you're a sorry advert for whichever "cause" you think you're on.

2. Nuke
      WTF?

Were we criticising Apple in this context?

I thought we were criticising the dicks who would queue for up to 4 days so that they could have one a bit earlier than other people.

21. Valerion

2 major reasons

1 - You could pre-order and get it delivered without having to go anywhere (mine arrived at midday...)

2 - 8am. Getting to a queue for a product that goes on sale at 6pm is not a hassle. Getting up at 5am to get there a couple of hours early most certainly is.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Similar situation in reading

Popped into John Lewis @10am - they had 2 tills set up specifically for iPads. No queue but both tills continuously had punters. 16gb 4g white had already run out. Rest were physically stacked behind the tills 50 odd I reckon. Did the deed for mine and walked out.

Wandered past the reading Apple store 10 mins later no queues about 1/2 the crowd you would expect on a Sat. About 1 punter every 2-3 mins leaving with an iPad.

The staff were cheering them out **shudder**

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar situation in reading

"The staff were cheering them out"

There's a reason for not buying from an Apple store.

Or having bought one, walking back in and asking for your money back because they made themselves (and you by association) look a burke.

Or walking back in and smacking one of them. "Honestly, officer, I thought they were taking the piss..."

23. Anonymous John
    Joke

"No, no, first I'll go home, relax and then I'll take it out"

Yes, but what about the iPad?

1. stanimir
      Thumb Up

Re: "No, no, first I'll go home, relax and then I'll take it out"

haven't heard such a good joke in a while

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two things I'm not surprised about

1) Barry Shitpeas with a red comment icon (usually FAIL)

2) No queues at the iPad launch.

When there were huge queues for the iPad2 El Reg et al berated Apple for not having enough staff/stock/foresight.

Now they get their act together El Reg et al berate them for being over prepared.

25. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I would NEVER

queue for ANY product - no matter how good it claims to be.

1. Gary Riches

Re: I would NEVER

What super market do you go to? It must be amazing!

1. Cazzo Enorme

Don't know about the other poster, but I haven't queued in a super market since they started doing online ordering with home delivery. There again, even when I used to go into super markets it tended to be very late evening in order to avoid most of the mouth breathers and their squealing brats, with the bonus of rarely having to queue at the tills.

1. davemcwish

I live just round the corner from mine (supermarket - and it's *that* one unfortunately) so it's not cost effective to have home delivery. Even going in the evening there are much less staff (if any) manning the tills than there used to be with always a queue at the self service checkout. I also don't tust the staff to properly pick fruit/veg.

2. Nuke
          Thumb Down

@ Cazzo Enorme : Re: I would NEVER

Wrote : -

"I haven't queued in a super market since they started doing online ordering with home delivery"

Tried that.

The fruit and vegetables you get are the inferior ones that customers on-the-spot would leave.

If you chose something that is on offer and they [claim to] have run out of that line, they substitute an "equivalent" that will be dearer, and maybe one you simply don't prefer.

Then they can simply cock-up the order. Once I got six big cabbages which I certainly did not order - I hate cabbage.

1. Vic

Re: @ Cazzo Enorme : I would NEVER

> The fruit and vegetables you get are the inferior ones that customers on-the-spot would leave.

This is what the Distance Selling Regulations are for.

If you don't like what they deliver - you ring up and complain. They refund those items.

They are technically entitled to send the van back round to collect them - but they haven't done that to me yet.

> If you chose something that is on offer and they [claim to] have

> run out of that line, they substitute an "equivalent"

You can tell them to send no substitutes. But if you haven't - you can reject them on delivery.

> Then they can simply cock-up the order. Once I got six big

> cabbages which I certainly did not order - I hate cabbage.

Ring up. Complain. Get a refund.

I had a problem with Sainsbury's for a while - they changed their policy such that anything that was in-date when delivered was considered acceptable - even if it would be out-of-date within a couple of hours. I got lots of refunds. I suspect a lot of other people did too, because that policy didn't last very long...

Vic·

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll probably be queuing at the chip shop tonight...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have you noticed...

The people pictured at the front of the queues look exactly like the kind of person you would expect to see at the front of the queues.

27. Rob Beard
    Trollface

I find it amusing...

... that The New iPad doesn't seem to have as many people desperate for one as the Raspberry Pi :-)

I think if I was going to buy one (which I'm not, not interested in any tablet) I'd probably just buy the discounted iPad 2.

Surprisingly I haven't seen any updated from my Apple owning friends about buying the new iPad either, and they always buy the latest Apple stuff when it comes out.

Rob

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I find it amusing...

The Raspberry Pi’s initial run was 10,000 units. I have an inkling Apple may have sold a few more ‘The New’ iPads than that

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: I find it amusing...

But which one has the greater geek/technophile cachet?

28. Steve Evans

"One bloke, who had waited for five hours from 3am for the doors to open, decided to hang around the shop for a while afterwards rather than race home with his new slab. He hadn't tried his iPad yet, adding: "No, no, first I'll go home, relax and then I'll take it out." "

What? You sat about in the cold since 3am, for what? To socialise with the staff? Can't you get any real friends of your own (don't answer that)? There are going to be people who arrived at 9am who are going to have used the thing before you!

The dictionary definition of sad has just got a new example.

1. Cazzo Enorme

For the sake of decency, El Reg edited his response. In full it reads:

"No, no, I only get the chance to feel this urge once in a while, so I plan on delaying gratification. First I'll go home, relax and then I'll take it out, stroke it for a while, before rinsing it under a tap and putting it away till next year."

2. Nuke
      WTF?

@ Steve Evans

He is sad for queing since 3am, but maybe he hung around because he does not get to see inside a store like thet very often, so wanted to look at their other stuff.

I tend to browse around tech stores (Maplin, Jessops, PC World - not that I'd buy from PC World) to see what new kit is around. I even browsed round an Apple store once - I'd never buy their stuff but wanted to see what the hype was about.

As for possibly opening a box in the store - what sort of idiot does that? Maybe dropping guarantee cards, instructions and little accessory bits all over the floor. I open all my buys at home, and carefully keep the packaging too, in case I need to return under guarantee

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

proof, money doesn't buy taste

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...is a serial queuer..!

Glad to hear it. Nothing we hate more in this country that parallel queueing.

PS. And yes..I too did a double-take on 'serial queuer' :-)

31. hugh
    Trollface

the queues were short

because Starbucks wouldn't let their baristas have the time off.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is there another angle to this story?

Seems to me that a fair majority iPad owners are actually using laptops instead.

Why else would they suffer the ignominy of having last years model?

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The voice recognition is good, apparently - so they tell me in the wine bar.

Apparently if you say "I'm a really creative barista who got his first" it adds "yes dude, you're cool, and you've proved it by sitting in the rain for four days. All those people who just walked by while you were sitting there, looking at you like you were a pointless geeky currant, and aren't lucky enough, like you are, to have "gotten" an underpowered, connectiveless toy with a slightly better screen than the last equally constraining great pisstake of the fashion victim; well they're just so envious it takes your new screen to show them in the right shade of green. They really should get a life shouldn't they, going out with their friends and meeting people, and not queuing. I mean, they really should find out what life is for, the tw@ts."

34. John A Blackley

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Thousands of people around the world are stupid for waiting in line/ordering and waiting/walking in and buying the latest Apple product.

Only the sages who spend their time hanging out on The Register have any wisdom about anything.

They have a saying in Scotland that goes, "Everybody's out of step except our John." For the wise ones on the Register it means John's an idiot.

1. Glenns
      FAIL

Re: Yeah, yeah, yeah

nice one John

35. defiler

One of two things:

Either Apple have got their supply and distribution in order after the debacle of the iPhone 4S, or purchasers have realised that it's basically the same thing as before with a few upgrades and haven't whipped themselves into a frenzy...

Frankly, etiher option is good.

36. Tom 35

Best buy Toronoto

There were only about 20 lined up across the street from my office in the morning. Long gone now, I could walk over now and buy one if I was willing to pay that much for a toy. The iPad 2 was much longer but they still didn't sell out.

I can see lining up if your favourite band in in town one night only. But for a gadget? Even if they do sell out they will get more a few days. Even better wait a week and see if any kinks appear when people start using them.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Zohaib

...needs to get a life.

He seems to spend it queuing for the release of new products.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a367176/playstation-vita-out-now-london-launch-in-pictures.html

He seems to have no problems with his autism when he's camping out in public for days at a time, being snapped by the media and giving comments.

Also, LOL at the thumbs up (or sideways).

38. guvna

It's just another tablet, just like their phone is just another phone.

Will there be the same media coverage of stores when the Samsung S3 goes on sale?

Somehow, I think not.

39. IHateWearingATie
    Go

Had a fondle with one today

Chap at work got his delivered to the office this afternoon. Whatever you think of apple, the screen is very very nice.

1. Mike Judge
      FAIL

Re: Had a fondle with one today

problem is, the screen is a Samsung screen, so it's likely the graded panels not good enough for the raft of forthcoming Android tablets with similar or better screen res, like the far superior Asus Infinity 700....

1. the-it-slayer
        Devil

Re: Had a fondle with one today

Shame that Asus device has a personality disorder and has one major flaw... And-floppy-droid is installed on it. It needs a keyboard + mega battery to get it going past it's 3 hour battery life without it.

Love to see the anti-Apple elite have been out to play over the last few days. I know you'll go back under your rock, ever tweak your Android devices with countless unreliable custom ROMs and be happy you have control over an unreliable device.

Down mark me all you want. Every single one plastered on this post gives me an every bigger grin that I'm happy to keep using my original iPad. Oh, and another thing. I love El-Reg's jokey journalism, but does not one forget not every iPad requires an upgrade anymore and the 3rd gen will keep rolling over all the competition with new customers regardless of the queue outburst we normally see on launch day? I'd be more worried if the ridiculous queues appeared again. Proves the iPad line is a durable one and as long as my original iPad is still functional, I will keep abusing it.

1. FrankAlphaXII
          Trollface

Re: Anti Apple Elite

I seriously cannot believe that you called the Fandroids elite. Wow. Not very bright are you?

1. the-it-slayer
            Happy

Re: Anti Apple Elite

*sigh* I know it wasn't very funny, but could you not see the irony in using the word elite? Fandroids should put their tools down at the end of work rather than using their elite knowledge to battle fathomable devices. I know they use that to boast their supposedly pre-acclaimed superiority for owning an android device. I personally don't wanna have to fight with Windows/Android on the way home/at home because I have exclusive control over it.

Anyway, Apple have already said they had a record weekend so any fandroid theorists can calm down and get back to their complicated gadgets =).

40. Spud2go
    Pint

I wonder - would a sheep icon...

..be too provocative for El Reg to add to its existing selection? Could be useful!

Just a thought.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I ordered one online

and it came to my work on Friday 16th, as promised. No queuing for me, I am in new fondleslab heaven.

42. bwrl
    WTF?

Total mess

Well I'm far from being a fanboi but I found myself in Regent street yesterday and decided to get one.

Two things struck me, both making the whole experience pretty painful. Firstly, they had a ticket and queuing system in place but none of the staff could tell me where the queue was. There were no signs, nothing. One member of staff told me to go upstairs, someone else told me to go straight back down again. Geez. This was nearing 5pm and they were acting like they'd not sold a single ipad that day.

Secondly, the chirpy, cheeky and over familiar behaviour of the salesman that sold me the unit. Sorry. I don't know you, I don't want to be treated like a child and no, we are not on first name terms. Just give the ipad, take my payment and send me on my way.

1. the-it-slayer
      Pint

Re: Total mess

Had the same experience at the same shop when replacing my iPhone. Although I had pre-booked a slot with a genius earlier in the day, I still had queue up in a ridiculous fashion around the glass lift once a staff member at least attempted to organise an ever increasing crowd.

Shame the Apple store experience has been forgotten about a little since the popularisation of the iPhone, iPad and iPod.

43. Scott 19

Maybe it was the fool rule

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, thrid time your just taking the piss (In HD, wow HD).

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd ignore the queues or lack of - they sell them much more widely these days (supermarkets, other retailers, mobile phone companies). I wanted the new iPad but not the queue - so ordered it online as I expect most people have. I know about 10 people with iPads - some of which had queued in the past to get it on the first day - this time they ordered online.

So wait for the actual sales figures to be released before 'guessing'.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"problem is, the screen is a Samsung screen, so it's likely the graded panels not good enough for the raft of forthcoming Android tablets with similar or better screen res, like the far superior Asus Infinity 700..."

Yeah right - Apple dumped Sharp to go to Samsung - most likely Apple get the best panels and other devices would get the rejects. Otherwise Samsung must have a huge reject rate as Apple are likely to outsell the Asus Anything-You-Like about 20:1.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Either Apple have got their supply and distribution in order after the debacle of the iPhone 4S, or purchasers have realised that it's basically the same thing as before with a few upgrades and haven't whipped themselves into a frenzy..."

What more / exactly were you expecting - let me guess pop out legs and arms and it transforms into a car - then clicks into a base unit and hoovers your house then makes dinner?

I recon a faster CPU, 4x the screen resolution, a better camera, bigger battery are all pretty good - and all for the same price as the previous model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like