back to article Aussie fatties tell fewer porkies

Australians are less likely to lie about their height and weight than was the case in the past, and exaggerate less about their dimensions, according to a new analysis by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). But we still tell an unhealthy amount of fibs about our bodies, leading the ABS to a strict regime of statistical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Aussie fatties tell less porkies" should be "Aussie fatties tell fewer porkies".

2. jake Silver badge

What the hell does this have to do with the bloody useless BMI?

"Body Mass Index" has no relation to actual physical health.

1. frank ly

Re: What the hell does this have to do with the bloody useless BMI?

If you're a medical worker carrying out health screening of a large number of people and you don't have time to give each of them a detailed prodding and poking, or do further tests; then BMI is a useful indicator of the possibility of weight related health issues.

Doctors know that heavyweight boxing champions, international-level rugby players and similar types of people have a large BMI, due to the great big slabs of muscle they develop and doctors know that they have to analyse other measures and other factors besides BMI.

For the general population of 'normal/ordinary' people, BMI is a good first stage indicator of possible obesity related issues.

1. jm83

Re: Re: What the hell does this have to do with the bloody useless BMI?

Presumably your down voters were suffering from a case of chubby fingers?

3. Timmy B
    WTF?

Why is it ok to be insulting to people at all?

So saying "fatties" in a way that is clearly designed to insult people is totally ok is it? Going to start using a whole load of insulting terms are we? Reported to editors as this is clearly wrong.

Btw - I'm not overweight but have family members that eat a perfect diet and exercise far more than me are overweight because of type 1 diabeties. So thanks for insulting them - you stupid childish fools.

1. Yag

?

Is it your first visit on El Reg?

I'm a fatty, I'm aware of this fact, and I don't feel offended by the truth.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. jake Silver badge

@Timmy B (Was: Why is it ok to be insulting to people at all?)

I think you'll find that Type 1 folks have a tendency towards being skinny. The Type 2 folks are the more hefty segment, and probably show the Type 2 symptoms because they over-eat and don't exercise enough. Yes, there is a genetic component.

Enjoy your reporting, mon frère, but I suggest growing a thicker skin instead :-)

1. Timmy B

Re: @Timmy B (Was: Why is it ok to be insulting to people at all?)

Tendancy... some are different. It's a horrid thing that affects people differently. Sadly some ignorant people refuse to look further than a pettiness that has to insult, because the real truth is they need to feel better than somebody because they know they really are not better than anybody.

1. Dan 63

So you're one of those whiners who gets offended on behalf of others then? For that reason I am better than you.

Any way it doesn't matter why someone is a fattie, they are still a fattie. It's only an observation / statement of fact.

Hmmmm, no fattie icon.

1. jm83

re: dan 63

Im actually on your side, though i think your reasoning is slightly off.

Else some of those lovely terms to describe race would be ok.

LIke I say, I'm on your side though, people shouldnt be so sensitive.

2. Timmy B

Did you read anything I said. I said it was a family member. Somebody I see every day. Somebody whose life I am involved in. Get offended when I insult a member of your family would you?

Hmmmmm, no "you are a dick" icon!

1. jm83

Its not really that insulting tho is it.

And no theyre not insulting youre family member personally. Calling someone a dick is an insult tho. But dont worry im not bothered.

4. The last doughnut
    Stop

Oh Jeez

Register comments now reduced to empty moralising and slanging matches.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like