back to article iPhone/PS3 hacker Hotz arrested in pot bust

George Hotz, aka geohot, has been arrested by Texas police on drugs charges while on his way to give a talk to the annual SXSW festival in Austin. Hotz, who shot to fame when he was sued by Sony for cracking his PS3 gaming console, was arrested at a notorious police checkpoint in the West Texas town of Sierra Blanca, and found …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    WTF?

$800 for 3/8ths of an ounce?

Remind me NOT to find out where these plod score their gear... (Other than helping themselves to other people's, obviously.)

1. Code Monkey
      Windows

Re: $800 for 3/8ths of an ounce?

Jeebus! Things have certainly changed since I was into that sort of thing.

2. kain preacher

Why

Why did he enter Texas with weed on him ? This is the same state that use to give life for a joint . $200 for an ounce maybe but $800 . Hell no.

3. Red Bren

$800?!!

The Texas plods wouldn't be over-estimating the value of the stash to get GeoHot a harsher sentence, would they?

1. kain preacher

Re: $800?!!

If think they are singling him out the are not. Rest assure they would rail road me and you just the same.

2. SteveK

"Police found a 1/4 oz of dope and edibles containing a further 1/8 oz, but the police booked him for the entire weight of the stash, "

I interpreted that to mean that they included the weight of the 'edibles' containing that extra 1/8 and came up with a value based on that total weight?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

standard practice in many us states.

have 0.5 grams of cocaine in a solution of water weighing a kilo?

You will get done for having a kilo of cocaine which obviously means you are a dealer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Cocaine isn't soluble in water... Err, so I've heard...

1. Vic
            Holmes

> Cocaine isn't soluble in water

Yes it is.

See icon for reference...

Vic.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
        Thumb Down

"they included the weight of the 'edibles' containing that extra 1/8 and came up with a value based on that total weight?"

Yes, that sounds right. Cops do that all the time, for example when weighing a plant they include the whole thing, roots, stem and all, even though roots and stem (a) account for the majority of the plants weight and (b) have no psychoactive chemicals.

That's what happens when cops are incentivized to hit target numbers for arrests, seizures etc, and when they are using millions of dollars worth of equipment intended for homeland security to catch some pure schmucks with a couple of joints.

Oh and yes I agree with whoever mentioned it above that it's extremely unlikely they specifically targeted Hotz, they'll screw over anyone who they can. Arseholes!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Thinks...

Pot? Check. Rebellious? Check. Bad photos as a Youngster? Check. Can hack an iPhone? Check.

Early Apple experiment with the iClone?

1. FrankAlphaXII
      Black Helicopters

Re: Thinks...

All he has to do is go on an Acid fueled trip through India and then start Phreaking.

Then he's officially unveiled next to the iPad 5, which will have the exact same specs as the preceding three but another new radio which uses real 4G instead of this LTE hogwash and a higher resolution screen that has a biological marketing slogan, this time its the Cornea screen.

Then the lights in the hall will dim as the iClone takes the stage and his place in the Apple pantheon as the iResurrection, well upon the way to global dominance with his fruity mindless minions.

Hell, knowing Apple they'll transfer Saint Steve's experience, memories and consciousness into the iResurrection onstage at MacWorld. And yes, thats a patented product coming soon, which will fully integrate with iOS and the MacOS. And yes, the EULA states your consciousness and very soul belong to Apple as soon as you upload them.

Time to move to the Big Cypress with a truckload of very heavy weapons and optics. Robots and Mac users wont work well there.

5. Nights_are_Long

I think they value it like this -

They take the known average street value, they then add the officers time then, investigation and court costs and then destruction cost (normally incineration) to come up with the $800 total.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wrong.

You didn't RTFA.

>"Hotz has a medical marijuana license in California, where he lives, our source says. In the car’s glove box, Hotz apparently had 1/4 oz. of marijuana and chocolate edibles equivalent to less than 1/8 oz. of the drug.

>The border agents allegedly said they would turn Hotz over to the local sheriff and he would get a citation. Not a big deal, right? But our source explains the local sheriff took the whole weight of the chocolate as the proper measure (as if the candy were made entirely of pot). Law enforcement then valued the “special” chocolate truffles at $800, instead of the $15 our source says Hotz paid for it. "

In other words, a deliberate knowing lie by the police.

1. The BigYin

Re: Wrong.

Ah, but the police are doing their job. Geohotz upset the rulers of the USA (the big corporates) and so must be repeatedly punished for this offence. The next time he is in California and lets one rip, he'll be done for air pollution.

USA citizens need to learn to obey their corporate overlords.

Only through consuming, can they know freedom.

2. Semihere

Re: I think they value it like this -

"...and then destruction cost (normally incineration)..."

I'm sure that's a fairly standard way for most people to get rid of their weed - and it can easily be done in leisure time to avoid costs ;)

3. YouStupidBoy
      Holmes

Re: I think they value it like this -

I'm positive that incineration is actually the plods preferred disposal method of reefer. Just need to wrap it in paper, first and remember to send Joe down to the 7-11.

Speaking of...

6. Richard Bijster
    Big Brother

Ridiculous nonsense

Thank God I live in Holland. This sort of idiocy and total waste of police time and money searching for minuscule amounts of dope simply would not happen here.

1. David West
      Holmes

Re: Ridiculous nonsense

'Currently' that wouldn't happen in Holland...you've been reading the news though right, this crazy right wing government want this place to be renamed New Holland and be a State of the US, thats the only reason I can see them pushing the health care system and other things down the same path the US has taken. Private memebers clubs to get your pot will push it on the streets again and then police will start arresting.

1. The BigYin

So "New Holland" will be the 52nd state? The UK is the 51st, which is why we do whatever the USA ask us without question, even if that is surrendering our own citizens.

1. Hans 1

The US have hefty oversees bank accounts full for those who "obey", acting pro-actively doubles your reward.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

51st state? I would have thought the District of Columbia or one of the territories would be more appropriate for that title.

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I used to live in Amsterdam and really appreciated that the cops seemed to understand their role as keeping the peace. They weren't bothering people over minor matters, and could be real hard-asses when they really needed to (I remember a football riot by Ajax fans on Leidseplein being cleared up quickly, effectively and safely).

Same where I now live in Switzerland, where also from January this year in French-speaking cantons it's OK to grow up to 4 plants for personal use. The cops should just chill out and concentrate on serious crimes

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rage against the machine

I hope he doesn't start rapping again!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$800

That's perjury and perverting the course of justice. Prosecute and jail any lying pig bastard who dares to claim it in court.

1. Aaron Em

Oh yeah

that's going to fly in front of a Texas judge. Are you thick?

9. JaitcH
    WTF?

Texas 'Justice' - Not the Best Place to be Caught

American law is tough in Texas and since they are country 'folks' who don't understand city folks, it is NOT the place to be stopped.

Perhaps the conveners of the SXSW festival should lean on the Texas convention agency to remind them that brain dead cops could cost them a lot of lost income.

1. MacGyver
      FAIL

Re: Texas 'Justice' - Not the Best Place to be Caught

Why hold SXSW in Texas in the first place?

If they don't "recognize" his medical MJ card from California, then the rest of the country shouldn't "recognize" his Texas felony. It's the United States, not "The United States and Texas", he shouldn't have the rest of his life ruined because one state doesn't recognize the laws of an other. I agree he should get a fine for having it in Texas, but a felony will follow him FOREVER.

They may have just pushed him into a downward spiral of crime. Don't be surprised if he goes from hacking PS3's and iPhones to hacking ATMs and credit card machines rather than only being able to work at McDonalds due to his felony.

2. Aaron Em

Re: Texas 'Justice' - Not the Best Place to be Caught

They understand 'city folks' just fine -- and don't like them even a little bit, mostly, and it's hard to blame them unless either a) you're 'city folks' yourself, or b) you've got an agenda.

You do realize, don't you, that SXSW is in Austin, and that Austin is an enclave of East Coast progressivism in what is a very reactionary state? No one between Austin and Manhattan is going to be upset by this; on the contrary, ordinary Texans who have heard about it probably like it just fine.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's lucky they didn't shoot him

In Texas they execute people so he is lucky they didn't shoot him in both knee caps to teach him a lesson. His photo above epitomizes the clueless generation.

1. Turtle_Fan

Re: He's lucky they didn't shoot him

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but I think you're talking nonsense.

Outliers like him can be very bright but also difficult to understand to us "ordinary folk". I however have enough self confidence to admit that I can't quite match his intellect as repeatedly demonstrated by cracking all sorts of stuff.

So while he maybe quirky and not quite subscribing to all the norms "we" do this by no means diminishes his stature or makes him clueless. But then, looking at Turing's suffering and all the vitriol poured on him, it's not difficult to see where the attitude comes from.

I think the world needs more "clueless" people like him.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you can tell all you need about a person from a single snapshot taken on a mobile in piss-poor lighting? You know what, you epitomize all I need to know about typical morons today who are obsessed by images who make snap judgements based on first impressions instead of getting to know or finding out more about a particular person!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised he didn't end up floating in the river. TX don't take kindly to dopers. No tears for this loser.

11. kain preacher

In California if you get caught with less than an oz it's a ticket. For a 1/4 I'm not sure they would even do the paper work.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Yea, but he wasn't in California

The bottom line is

"Don't be so arrogant at to think everyplace you travel through has the same laws & customs as where you live. Educate yourself first."

12. Daveedmo

The good ole US of A

Keeping up the tradition of jailing their brightest young talent just because they're not conservative enough. No wonder they're becoming less and less relevant in the world today.

13. Rovindi

Sheesh

Slightly off topic, but surely he was aware of this checkpoint? Hell, I live half-way up a frikkin`mountain in Southern Spain and I`m aware of it! There were two articles in the British press about this very checkpoint last week.

Bottom line, if you`re prepared to travel with a little bit of gear, knowing the long arm of the Texan lawman is going to go medieval on you, if stopped, then why bother with the risk in the first place? Surely you can score some puff at your destination and avoid all the shenanigans in the first place. Hell, there is probably an app for that!

Where I live, everyone smokes the good stuff and people give it away ( I kid you not), but I won`t travel in the car with any, as the Guardia Civil on the motorways are much more severe than the local plod in the villages. It`s simply common sense.

1. Aaron Em

Seriously!

How fucking hard can it be to score at SXSW of all places? And if you can't stand to stay sober long enough to drive from California to Texas, you've got other problems...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The US justice system is broke

Putting people in jail is PROFITABLE for the government and private institutions.

Additionally, since most are threatened with very harsh jail terms unless the plead guilty prior to trial, most go directly to jail without trail - even those unjustly accused.

15. Confuciousmobil

Young Mr. Hotz is probably the most intelligent person I have ever had the pleasure of talking too, and I speak too many very intelligent people. I learned a lot by being a sounding board for him (I'm sure he learned nothing from me, just wanted someone to bounce ideas off).

He probably didn't even think about the dope in the glove compartment, silly? Yes. A felony? Seems a bit harsh to me, but that's the good ol US of A for you.

He did, of course, make the conference and the audio (unfortunately no video ) of his talk is available.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares?

I'm sorry, but Hotz should have known better given the fact every US citizen knows TX is not the place to screw around in .I see this way too often with people coming from out of state to visit Austin for whatever reason. Austin is not another part of California as mistakenly thought in the minds of college kids and it amazes me that SXSW is even held in TX to begin with. Say what you will about TX laws, but many califags have tried and failed miserably challenging the pot laws here in Christfukistan err Texas. Please, no tears for an idiot who can't be bothered to check the map and realize where hes at .

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He knows now

If at first you are in denial, the law will educate you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like