back to article Adobe Photoshop Touch

Annoyingly for us iOS fans, Photoshop Touch actually made its debut on Android, late last year. You can download it from Google Play. However, it has now arrived on the iPad 2 and the ‘new iPad’ – but not the first-generation iPad or any other iOS device – just in time to bump pixels with Apple’s own iPhoto. They’re not really …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me
    Happy

Love em or hate em ?

Whether you love apple or loathe them you have to admit that one thing they have done with their app store is get some very good software out onto the market at a very reasonable price.

7 quid for this ? Stunning really. Theres a lot of dross in the app store but there are some very reasonably priced excellent apps.

And although apple charge 30%, they dont set the price for the apps. So the market really can be competitive.

Note to trolls and anti-apple-tards. I posted about apps, not e-books.

:-)

1. Peter 48

Re: Love em or hate em ?

This is the same price as on on Android, so Apple's share has nothing to do with it. It is a choice by Adobe to set all their "pro" apps at that price level.

2. Peter 48

Mac's Killer app?

How is Photoshop a Killer App on the Mac seeing as it is just as available and capable on Windows as well (some would argue even more so)? As for the 1600x1600 px limitation, this was chosen by Adobe intentionally to keep things speedy and seeing as it is the same on the Android platform where the tablets mostly have more RAM than the iPad and iPad2, I suspect that this limitation could easily be exceeded if they wanted to. This is the main reason why I haven't bothered downloading it. I wish they would give users the choice to either run the app smoothly at 1600x1600 or accept slowdowns and allow them to go much higher.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Mac's Killer app?

Because

1. For many years there was no complete colour-space management on PCs... to many different manufacturers of graphics cards, monitors and printers etc. Therefore it was far harder to get your intended colours on your finished work if you used a PC. You'd use a Mac, your printing agency or publisher would use a Mac... easy!

2. Photoshop is usually used hand-in-hand with Illustrator- this came on Macs first because it used Postscript. Macs had good graphical abilities at the time, because it was key to their UI... a side effect if this design choice was the emergence of DTP

Regarding max image size... yes, this does seem puzzling, especially if you remember that Photoshop allowed editing of images far larger than the available RAM back in the 386 days, by opening just parts of it.

But yeah... 1600 x 1600? 1:1? Or does it allow the same number of pixels in a different aspect ratio? You'da though an A4 print would be the size to aim for!

1. Peter 48

points 1 and 2 ceased to be an issue as far back as1997, so that still isn't a reason, just like Office can't be called Window's killer app, as it is also available on the Mac.

2. Guy 3

The subtitle doesn't make any claim to timeframe - Photoshop _was_ a bit of a killer app on the Mac. Arguably, PageMaker was _the_ killer app for the Mac (i.e. people would buy into the platform merely for the software), but Photoshop was a big draw to the platform in the early 90s for photography studios, movie studios and the like. The first version released for Windows was released ~ 3 years later.

3. Alex Rose
    Facepalm

"It’s a pretty modest resolution, especially for professionals, and might well mean that the app just gets used for doing quick visualisations and mock-ups before doing the real work on one of those old-fashioned computer thingies."

Really! You mean professionals won't all dump their huge monitors and blindingly fast machines with graphics tablet input devices to work on a 10" screen with their fingers?

You mean that Adobe haven't chosen to cannibalise the sales of their hundreds of pounds flagship product by offering all the same functionality in a £7 tablet app.

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hmmm

even pros are on the run sometimes, travelling somewhere. the ipad has a lot of power and it <IS> a graphics tablet. It's coming, that is the future, seamless working on the workstation in the office, jump on the train, continue working on the same image. I would do mostly photography so without RAW and 8Mp+ support it's no go (Photoshop Touch doesn't support it yet).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmm

I thought that but bought this anyway last year, just to see what it could do more than anything. The size so far hasn't proved to be a limitation, in fact I would say Ive ended up with more business than ever just because I could take a quick shot and make a mockup for any potental clients.

8mp would be kind of pointless, too - still a tiny portion of the original image and the interface isn't really up to doing fine detail work in any case. For that sort of thing, when mobile without a laptop, remote connect to a PC and you can use your RAW converter of choice and full photoshop etc

As always, the best results come from the right tool for the right job - Photoshop Touch seems to be like many tablet apps (and indeed tablets), a tool to fit a job we weren't doing before.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: hmmm

Ideally I'd use a wifi sd card in the camera, download to ipad through wifi, immediately work on it. So 1600x1600 wouldn't be enough then, since the camera does more than that.

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

Whats missing...

is the ability to use the iPad hand-in-hand with a Mac, as part of proper Photoshop's interface. Mouse in one hand, iPad beneath the other hand for pan, zoom, sliders and selecting tools, layers and masks.

It just seems so obvious, I don't why Adobe haven't jumped on it.

(Could it be latency? Can anyone technical guess at the minimum latency this sort of set-up would have?)

1. cliff 2

Re: Whats missing...

<<It just seems so obvious, I don't why Adobe haven't jumped on it.>>

They're working on it....

CJ

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whats missing...

> It just seems so obvious, I don't why Adobe haven't jumped on it.

Already did. We've been able to remote-control the tool and color mixer for a desktop instance of Photoshop using a network-linked iPad for a while now - visit photoshop.com and look at "Nav" and "Color Lava". I can't comment on timescales for Android support, but it's on the radar.

5. thecresta

It's may not be perfect, but...

I've been using this on Android for a little while now, and I've found it can be a bit of a chore to use at times.

But I don't care - I'm using Photoshop on a tablet for Pete's sake! It's one of those things I've been dreaming of since I first started using Photoshop 3!

6. RAMChYLD
    Unhappy

So it's starting then

Apps are starting to drop support for the first gen iPad. Now, I know that I've had mine for almost two years now, but the iPad 3 isn't even released in this part of the world yet!

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: So it's starting then

>Apps are starting to drop support for the first gen iPad<

Ipad 1 - 256 MB RAM, Ipad 3 - 1 GB RAM

Photoshop...

You do the math.

The Ipad 1 still does all the things it did, brilliantly, but new apps are gonna demand more hardware. It's the nature of the beast.

Sidenote: That extra memory really improves web surfing too - now if Apple could add a touch UI to Safari - a back button, really Apple? in 2012?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like