back to article Atari pings Pong Apple champion wannabes

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell will judge entrants in a $100,000 competition to bring iconic ball-fondling game Pong to Apple iGadgets. Forty years after he scored his first hit with the arcade version of Pong, Bushnell will help oversee the Pong Indie Developer Challenge to “re-imagine” the primitive game for iPhones, iPods and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl
    Thumb Up

New hardware opportunity

Bluetooth paddle-controller wheels!

2. stucs201
    Joke

No coding required

Just one iPad per player and a ping-pong ball. An additional iPad to track the score is optional.

Also supports cross-platform play with android tablets. iPhone players may be at a disadvantage when playing against larger tablets.

3. Muckminded

World of Pongcraft

Level 71 arcane paddler ftw.

4. leeeeeb
    Stop

Interesting version of history you have there. Pong was invented by Magnavox not Atari.

http://www.pong-story.com/odyssey.htm#P8

1. ThomH

The article doesn't say Atari invented Pong (the game, not the brand), merely that it's iconic, that Bushnell and Alcorn produced the first successful arcade game and home console game with their versions of Pong and that they're looking for an iOS successor worthy of the brand (which, obviously, Atari did invent).

1. leeeeeb

The article neglects to say several things, inaccurate my omission. Nolan Busnell invented the word "Pong", this man invented the game http://ralphbaer.com/

Chutzpah indeed.

5. Wombling_Free
    Meh

Pong? Apt name.

If there was ever a game that did NOT need a reboot Pong would have to be a contender.

Since Neverwinter Nights was published by Atari (or at least it's Raised-From-Dead zombified corpse) I've been hanging out for a good port of NWN to the iPad; maybe they could consider that?

The iPad is in dire need of some serious games instead of the horrid steaming pile of refuse that fills the App Store. Galaxy On Fire 2 is the only game I play on my iPrecious; it's the only decent game. I had high hopes for Civilization, but it is the Nintendified cartoon version rather than a slick reproduction of Civ2 or Civ V.

The old Bioware Baldur's Gate engine would run like a dream on the iPad; I'd pay good money for the Baldurs Gate series & Torment!

1. sabroni Silver badge

Nintedified

Oh No! Did they make it fun? Bastards!

6. jai

US entrants only?

damnit

Quote: THE CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (THE “ELIGIBILITY AREA”),

Plus, you have to have successfully submitted a game already to the iOS Store.

And i had such a good idea for rebooting Pong in the mould of Zork.... :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There were three....

It was Bushnell AND Ted Dabney with Alcorn. Amazing how Ted keeps getting left out of these things.

This topic is closed for new posts.