back to article Jester hacker brags of mobe attack on Anonymous, baby-kisser

A hacker known as The Jester claims to have siphoned personal information from prominent members of Anonymous, a US politician and other assorted "enemies" after running a mobile malware-based attack that relied on the curiosity of his intended victims. The raid is unconfirmed. In a blog post reminiscent of the penultimate act …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

Is there really such a charge as "hacking the mobile phone of an elected politician" or is this Dan Gordon guy a bit up his own backside with his own importance?

1. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: Hmmm...

US politician Robert_Bork created the "Video Privacy Protection Act" after having his dodgy video rental history published!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Hmmm...

Probably in the same league as hacking Sarah "I can see Russia from my home" Palin's e-mail account.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

I'm looking forward to Barry Shitpeas telling us how great and secure Android is and how this was in no way an Android problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

I'm waiting for Barry Shitpeas to tell you to go back and RTFA and note it is /easier/ to exploit iOS.

1. asdf
        Happy

Re: Hmm...

LMFAO Barry Shitpeas, had to google that one. Same concept as Jack Handy here in the states.

3. El Presidente

Anyone who uses a QR code

Is leaving themselves wide open to all sorts of problems.

When QR codes were first popularised I .. erm .. someone I met in the pub theorised that a few well placed QR code stickers on a bus stop or shop windows, ideally within view of the pub, would be a very easy method to subvert someone's curiosity and get them to visit a website like tub girl or goatse. We could then laugh at the expressions on their face as they saw the horror. For a laugh, like.

Malware is the obvious extension to this idea.

1. Fuzz

Re: Anyone who uses a QR code

The same could be said for any url shortening service.

1. El Presidente
        Facepalm

The surprise and delight effect would be somewhat delayed as they typed the URL in to their device, wouldn't it ? So the same could not be said for any url shortening service, could it ?

2. dogged
      Meh

Almost nobody uses QR codes. Hate to tell you.

I checked around the Android and iPhone users in the office here - only one has ever used a QR code and that was for booking concert tickets.

Also, nobody cares enough to scan a QR code put up J3st3r because nobody has any time for that prick.

1. El Presidente

"Almost nobody uses QR codes. Hate to tell you."

There were even fewer people not using QR codes when the idea was first floated - five years ago.

4. Gordon 10
    Thumb Down

About time

The Jester was thrown into the same cell as Lulzsec.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: About time

Can't argue there. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't such a bullshitter.

5. Bakunin
    WTF?

"iOS has a default username/password combination of root/alpine ..."

Hang on? Back up there.

Is that really a know default user/pass combination on iOS devices or is old El Reg trying to fan the flames a little? I've never used an iOS devices beyond a quick play so I'm not that familiar with them. Is this only on jail broken but not correctly configured phones or is it an out of the box thing?

Don't want to start any fanboi wars, just curious.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: "iOS has a default username/password combination of root/alpine ..."

That's the default login for jailbroken phones that have enabled SSH access - by default iOS devices aren't vulnerable to this.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Gordon made it onto The Jester's hit list for his comments on Twitter referencing Anonymous in what The Jester saw as a sign of approval for the hacktivist group."

I'm guessing Jester or his daddy work for the US Security State, ripping off the taxpayers via phony wars. I'm guessing the FBI will do nothing about his attacks on journalists who speak favorably regarding transparency. I think our corrupted establishment has many similar thugs on its payroll and will hire countless more as it continues to turn against the 99% and ramp up massive frauds like subprime (i.e. Aaron Barr, Jester, etc.). For those that do not see the pattern, ask yourself, what did you expect to occur after Obama ordered the DOJ to fail to prosecute over subprime, the largest fraud in the history of humanity? Do those frauds just evaporate when Obama fails to prosecute them, or does that illustrate that corruption has our Nation in a death grip?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your nation, maybe. Personally, I think that J3st3r is just a massive arsehole and that you should leave your racist politics at the door.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What did that poster say that was racist?

And Obama stopped the prosecution for subprime because it was him who made the banks lend to subprime.

7. Crisp
    Flame

The worst thing about this is

All those blackberry users are looking pretty smug compared to iPhone and Android users right now.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: The worst thing about this is

I'm currently testing a build of Cyanogenmod 9, which breaks the camera on my HTC, so I guess I'm safe too :)

8. 8tpercent
    Black Helicopters

You know you want to...

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=8&d=http://www.theregister.co.uk/

9. Peter Stone

A Funny thing

In Wolverhampton there is a lampost I pass everyday, with an A4 piece of card fastened around it, which has a QR code on it & nothing else. I've often wondered just where it leads, (I don't have a phone capable of utilising it), & how many people have accessed it. Has anyone tried something like this? Thing is, it's scary just how gullable some people are.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds fishy

And it ends up a story to spread across the mainstream media? Sounds government sponsored to me, or he bit off more than he can chew.

This topic is closed for new posts.