back to article TalkTalk takes broadband to 80Mbps

TalkTalk has doubled its broadband speed, offering customers up to 80Mbps through a new fibre optic setup. For an additional £15 per month, the telco will double a punter's maximum download rate from the 40Mbps introduced last year to a whopping 80Mbps. The peak upload speed is 20Mbps, TalkTalk said. Punters considering …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul 181

Should be a free upgrade

I am surprised this is not a free upgrade

I have BT Infinity and this almost certainly means it will be an extra £5 for their 80/20 as well

I will probably pay the extra though unless it means signing up for another 12 months.

2. Nathan 13
    Unhappy

I wouldnt go near Talk Talk

If the speed was 1000000Mbps per nano-second.

Their customer service is so bad it makes Three's look OK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wouldnt go near Talk Talk

Me neither.

I'd call them absolute shite, but they've not improved enough..

I even have an email from techsupport@talktalk.com (and I'll say that again: it's TECHSUPPORT@talktalk.com), which says - and I quote - "However, we are unable to help you from this helpdesk regarding technical issues." <facepalm>

If they had anything like decent support, they would stop burning off money (and pissing off customers) by needlessly running round in circles with inappropriate or incomplete answers and wilfully (?) misinterpreting tech questions.

Maybe then, they could plough the money they'd save into even better prices.

I'd also rather they stopped following their customers round t'internet as well.

2. skipper
      Meh

To be fair to TalkTalk, I was a customer of their's till very recently, and had no intention of changing. My broadband was always up, and I was always able to download at full speed, no matter what time of day or night.

Then I moved house, and their ineptitude came to the fore, every other provider reckons they can get you up and running in 5 working days, with TalkTalk its 10. Which I could have lived with, but it took two weeks (and 30 - 60 min phone calls every other day) for them to successfully receive the order.

BT managed it in reasonable time, but come weekday evenings, the speed drops to a consistently suprising level.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be fair skipper, your choice of ISPs does not show much for your judgement? You went to BT? Why?

1. Elmer Phud

Mine's BT.

FTC (there's a pole over the road )

Works O.K.

Works rather well -but then just about everyone suffers from the evening Facebookers and gamers.

3. Gadget Rage is BAD
    FAIL

Double speeds?

Oh great, so yet again a telco spend money on making already stupidly fast connections even faster while the rest of the country wonder what when fibre optic will actually make its way to their area.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. David Gosnell

Re: Double speeds?

I take it the endless spinner graphic on their postcode checker was basically their way of saying "we're not available in your affluent little town". A more modern version of when a certain well known cable company in a different town (200k+ inhabitants) would basically put the phone down on you if you deigned to even mention "internet".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Details, details

Great to hear this news, and to see LLU and Infinity combining nicely. I'd love to clarify a couple of things though.

1) What is TalkTalk's pricing structure for these products? Is it, as the TT website implies, £10 for 40Mbps or £15 for 80Mbps? Or is it, as this article states, £10 for 40Mbps and a further £15 (i.e. £25 total) for 80 Mbps?

2) Also, if they're offering an 80 down/20 up product does that mean that their 40Mbps is now 40 down/10 up (as per BT)? So far TT's offering has been a paltry 2Mbps upstream.

The TT website is unhelpfully opaque on these vital issues. And this article doesn't help to clear them up as it stands.

The devil is, as usual, in the details (and the customer support).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Details, details

It seems the TT website has been updated. Prices are £10 for 40down Mbps or £15 for 80down/20up Mbps from TalkTalk - they are not cumumlative. So, that's "only" another £5 for double the speed. If that £5 goes towards better backhaul connection to the internet to make the full 80 Mbps actually available then it seems reasonable. Anyone know what the deal is there?

Sadly it looks like TT's 40 down product is still only 2 Mbps up. And there's no word on whether this will change to 10 Mbps up when the 80/20 product becomes available.

Incidentally, if you want to know when your area is going to get FTTC or FTTP then use the TalkTalk website. They give you the expected date your local cabinet will be upgraded/replaced (though of course the date may change due to unforseen circumstances). BT will not provide you with any further information beyond whether they offer the service at the present time.

5. Alan Edwards
    FAIL

How much??

The thieving ratbags want £15 a month to flick a switch at the exchange? I hope PlusNet weren't listening, I'm toying with switching to FTTC when the 80 meg stuff kicks in, but I'll not pay that much more.

The change to 80Mb/s is just a change to the encoding on the wire, it should be free.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like