back to article Big biz nuts about iPad, says researcher

Think tablets are just for folk at home? Think again. New research suggests big business is becoming increasingly keen on the iPad. The data come from research company ChangeWave which talked to 1600-odd technology buyers in US firms. Around 22 per cent of them said they will be buying tablets during Q2 2012, and of those 84 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".....1600-odd technology buyers in US firms......"

Seem to be a bit cr p at their jobs! Tablets have been around for a while, why did they have to wait for iPad to gain the benefits of mobile computing???

Some people just need to be sacked, and "big biz" needs people who can move forward without waiting for the crowd!

W O W!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Previous tablets were...

crap and so was the software.

All you have to do is look at some of Microsoft Tablet monstrosities. It's not about loving apple, it's about a tool that does the required job and gets supported by the company that makes them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing at all to do with looking on top of the game then?

The tablets obviously appeal to that breed of manager who wishes to appear to be cutting edge, top of his game, ideal Alan Sugar material. Lets be brutally honest, the fondleslab just looks way cooler than firing up a laptop doesn't it. For getting real work done in a real world environment you'll be pushed to beat a lappy, but they are so 90's aren't they? Todays upwardly mobile types wouldn't be seen dead with one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing at all to do with looking on top of the game then?

I would consider such a manager as someone who is quite happy to use an inferior product and therefore be less productive due to nothing more than vanity.

As Sugar would say "You're fired!"

2. a_been

Re: Nothing at all to do with looking on top of the game then?

Ahh yes, these people must be stupid because they don't agree with some basement dweller. That must be it.

3. Paul M 1

These figures are (almost) meaningless

Much more interesting is whether the figure of 22% planning to buy tablets has changed. Since for most businesses there's no compelling reason to use a tablet in preference to say a laptop, it would be nice to know whether or not more businesses are deciding they need tthem.

4. System 10 from Navarone
    Mushroom

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the iPads were bought because of their gadgety glittery appeal to managers rather than for any clearly defined need. Senior management here (NHS) have spent thousands on them, bypassing all IT procurement best practice and common sense. They didn't even look at the competition - if I was Samsung or RIM I'd be livid. Asking why they need them doesn't do any good, either - it's like asking an arsy teenager why they NEEEEEED the latest £200 Nike's

5. Richard Wharram

To be fair

Many big companies have looked at Tablet PCs in the past and found that they weren't that useful. It's not something they've only just thought of using now they are trendy. I know because I worked on a trial for a large corporate.

What they found was that the business cases were fairly thin benefits weighted against a crap UI (Windows with pen) and high costs. iPads have a pretty good UI and are much cheaper than the old Windows Tablet PCs used to be. Benefits are still generally quite slim but you can see that the game is changing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm shocked - shocked! - to see such a poor showing by the Fujitsu Stylistic Q550.

1. System 10 from Navarone
      Megaphone

More despair than shock

For the amount of actual business use our iPads will be getting the Psion 3a would have been the optimal choice. Come to think of it, a black vynil floor tile with an Apple logo on it would have been even better - the numpties would still seem fashionable in front of their IT illiterate brand-rimming peers and it would be less disruptive to our IM&T infrastructure

7. Chris 3
    Headmaster

Hurrah for graphs

Without the Y axis properly labelled.:-(

8. Neil Greatorex

"while the rumour mill was in full spin"

Mostly here, sadly.

Downvote button here......................................................................................................V

9. Andy 70
    Windows

heh, when the more cash rich sections of the business heard there was a corporate ipad feasability study going on, they all rushed out to buy one.

the study concluded that they were too insecure, so the idea of using ipads for corporate use was tinned.

i saw a resulting purchased pad in its cover, with a pair of headphones attached, on someones desk, and motioned to it's owner, "new toy?", i asked. "yeah, i just use it as an mp3 player though" came the disinterested reply. must be nice to have that much disposable income.

as much as i inwardly chuckled to myself, i did wish i had bought shares when i figured the ipod was going to be the next big thing back in wayback then.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like