back to article Cambridge student wins 'Hack Idol'

A 19-year-old computer science student has been named the UK's Cyber Security Champion following months of competition. _award_hack_idol_cyber_security_jonathan_millican Jonathan Millican emerged victorious from finals held over the weekend at the end of a six-month challenge designed to get talented people to consider a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next challenge: a more holistic view

Such a competition is an interesting idea, but won't get you on track to people that can see wider than their technical sandbox. Security has descended into a challenge-response kind of approach which sells boxes (for managers to abrogate their responsibility, and for techs to play with), but does little to no forward looking. The next stage in the "cyber" security model (God, I hate that word "cyber") is not to fight incoming trouble, but to prevent the threat from developing in the first place.

Or am I the only one noticing this problem?

1. Doug 14
      Mushroom

Re: Next challenge: a more holistic view

Oh Lord ! Is my worn down cynicism showing here or does this kind of anonymous post sound suspiciously like it will be followed up by another posting ( probably not anonymous ) miraculously pointing to a web site someone 'just found" that miraculously just happens to be selling just such a holistic approach ?

Who uses the word holistic in the title of anything other than a salesman/marketer ?

Anyway the article was about a young guy challenging our assumptions about the yoof of today , good luck to him and hopes he benefits from it.

1. Tom 38

Dirk Gently to expand into software detective work?

2. dotdavid
      Thumb Up

Worry no more, Anonymous Coward, for the new InsaSecurity3000 is ideal for your pre-emptive holistic threat-prevention needs TODAY!

Seriously though, show me a way of defending effectively against unknown future threats and I'll show you a tower that's for sale in Paris.

3. PyLETS
      Boffin

You're not the only one noticing this problem.

In a sense, there's no such thing as security, because this is unattainable. There is such a thing as risk management. Preventing the threat from developing in the first place is helped greatly by identifying and then knowing your users. The first part (authentication) is hard, the second part (reputation) even more so, but these both have to be parts of the security theory which I teach my students, in addition to the technical attacks and defences which without authentication and reputation would, as you say, narrow the subject at hand.

4. mark 63 Silver badge
      Big Brother

"not to fight incoming trouble, but to prevent the threat from developing in the first place."

er, whatnow?

prevent curious teenagers from developing?

sounds all very 1984

5. FatGerman
      Big Brother

He's either talking about covert surveillance of every internet user to spot hackers before they germinate, or he's talking about a pre-emptive strike. Presumably against the "cyber"men?

He is Tony Blair and I claim my five pounds.

1. TrishaD

"He is Tony Blair and I claim my five pounds"

No, he's someone who understands Information Security

2. Lamont Cranston

Hack Idol?

I prefer Britian's Got Telnet.

1. Bakunin
      Thumb Up

Re: Hack Idol?

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

2. JetSetJim
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Hack Idol?

Icon - nuff said.

Close run 2nd place was a virtual pint for you to quaff in thanks.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

im still wondering

how the team that came second actualy won

1. JeffUK

Re: im still wondering

The individual winner was chosen on different criteria to the winning team. The winning team members all got a bucket load of prizes too!

This topic is closed for new posts.