back to article UK cybercops cuff abortion clinic web hack suspect

Cybercrime cops have arrested a bloke suspected of hacking into and defacing the website of Britain's largest abortion provider. The British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS) site was compromised on Thursday by a hacker using the handle Pablo Escobar, who claimed an affiliation to the Anonymous hacktivist group. Escobar …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Naich

A member of Anonymous?

I wasn't aware that Anonymous had members, as such? I'm pretty sure they aren't anti abortion extremists either.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh an Anonymouse member

And once again we see the problem with Anonymous - Anyone can claim to be one of them and they can have contradictory aims.

Last week Anonymouse DDOSed the Catholic Church, they also hacked an abortion advice clinic.

Of the organisations who are against abortion, the Catholic Church is pretty much top of the list.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Story: PBAS lack of security?

All respect to the PeCU for a fast turnaround on the case but might I be guessing correctly that this 'hacker' may not have been of the highest calibre if he managed to get himself cuffed within 96hours of the offence happening?

Additionally; while I understand from the article that the PBAS is confident that no medical information was taken I am also interested as to why information including 26,000 names was so readily available.

Now taking 1+1 and getting 3... to me this story implies that some script kiddie decided to 'hack' the PBAS and found some publicly facing server that had some information that shouldn’t have been stored in there. With a lack of any common sense the script kiddie forgot to protect his tracks and may now be facing some time behind bars.

Have a missed something?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's Moday it's time for another perp walk

Hackers are so in denial. Maybe they'll get a reality check in prison?

5. NozeDive

Skiddie wants to be known as The Laughing Man?

I agree with the Anon who's subject line was: Story: PBAS Lack of Security, but I see perhaps another scenario.

Say the script kiddie (or skiddie, as the kids are fond of saying) actually intended to get caught? Maybe he was just after the notoriety , and somehow came to the conclusion that his short lived infamy would be worth the jail time and black mark on his record.

That, or what Anon said.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is what I don't get

Ok, so the last time I did anything remotely naughty with computers was last century. This was back when dialup was all you could get, and in the UK the only game in town was BT internet, with it's free local calls after 6pm package.

If you didn't have the benefit of an account, the best way to get one was to scan through the BT IP ranges, find a 'willing participant', hack in and extract DUN credentials from the registry. Ta-da, free internet. Thank you, Windows 95.

Now, of course you didn't do this from your own computer. Instead, you found a nice open patsy to launch from. Seems like these hackers concentrate more on the lulz, less on the 3-5 doing bird.

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

Data protection offences...

There ought to be one for aggravated data theft. 26,000 attempts shows it wasn't accidental.

1. Vic

Re: Data protection offences...

> 26,000 attempts shows it wasn't accidental.

Well, no. It wasn't accidental.

But I've seen such claims embellished before; by "attempts", they might mean "SYN packets". This looks like a simple dictionary attack that's been exaggerated to make someone look sharp...

Vic.

1. MacGyver
        Big Brother

Re: Data protection offences...

I was thinking the same thing.

He most likely is regretting saying he is with Anon. It's more likely he annoyed someone in Anon, and they gave him a brute-force program to "help" him. I have never seen Anon attack a few women and threaten the release of their health records before. He either was alone, or was helped as to get himself arrested.

8. Nights_are_Long

26K Attempts.

I am with Vic on this one 26K attempts is probably the total number of packets sent and not atchual attempts at a compromise.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like