back to article Nokia Money shot: Mobile banking service axed

Nokia is axing its banking service in India, the only place it was ever launched, as the company continues to scale back to focus on selling mobile phones. Following trials going back to the start of 2010, leading up to a national launch across India late last year, Nokia Money is shutting down in the face of increasing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spearchucker Jones
    Go

Thank god/allah/bhudda

That a). Drive and Maps survives and b). that it's ad free.

I recently swapped my Samsung Omnia 7 out for a Lumia 800, and think that those two apps are Windows Phone's defining cornerstones. Drive for the obvious offline 3D navigation. Maps because it does places better than Bing Scout. And the UI is breaking ground (tiles in the pull-up menu - why hasn't that been thunk of before)?

As for the focus on handsets - can't speak for the 710, but the Lumia 800 is quality. I originally got the Omnia after extensive checking out of the competition and because of the AMOLED screen, but the build quality is, like, streets behind the Nokia.

Looks like the fires on the oil rig are being put out, slowly.

1. DrXym

Re: Thank god/allah/bhudda

Drive would actually be quite good if you could use it offline but you can't. The maps might be offline but you have to be online to get driving directions. That renders it pretty worthless over online solutions when you're roaming which I assume what most people would want offline maps for.

Also, the user interface is terrible and the maps are massive but you cannot download them in the background so your phone has to be out of action for however long it takes to grab the map data. If you need to use your phone for something else before it completes then fortunately it suspends the progress but you still have to wade through 4 or 5 nested actions just to resume the download again.

So Drive *could* be the killer app but what's there is pretty crap IMO. If a Garmin / Tom Tom style device can calculate routes on a CPU with 1/3rd the power, then I don't see why a phone has to go online to do the same.

Hardware wise the Lumia is a very sturdy phone but the hatch over the USB port is incredibly annoying and the battery is still crap in my phone. Allegedly there is a new firmware which improves battery life so I might be happier once it becomes available on my handset. It took 5 weeks for the last firmware to surface due to their staggered rollouts.

1. dogged

I download maps at home in order to use wifi avoid doing it over capped mobile data, but your mileage clearly varies.

No pun intended.

2. JC_
        Happy

@DrXym

Nokia have blogged that they're fixing this (i.e. adding offline driving directions).

http://blog.maps.nokia.com/top-story/get-ahead-with-the-upcoming-update-to-nokia-drive-for-your-nokia-lumia#more-18832

1. DrXym

Re: @DrXym

I'll be delighted when they fix this and revise my opinions accordingly. I think when Nokia deliver a decent offline function then it will be a killer app.

3. Spearchucker Jones

Re: Thank god/allah/bhudda (@DrXym)

Nokia Drive 2.0 with full offline navigation is being released next week.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yeah, with a phone that can't do most of the things that professionals require. There's NO call-recording, no local PC syncing, WIFI bugs, half baked bluetooth connectivity and so on.

Not to mention using the most insignificant phone OS in the entire world!

Fuck them.

1. dogged
        Thumb Down

Fuck off, Barry.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Shame

Some of the things Nokia is (was) involved in makes you think of the kind of things Orange did before France Telecom came along and changed the focus of their innovation to billing software.

Who can forget that month when they started charging for delivery reports, itemised billing, made their website look like a cheap version of Yahoo, and came up with the animal talk plans which were amazingly bad value for money? (Er, was it in 2006? 2005?)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Another nail in the coffin

And Elop kills another piece of the ecosystem he said was so important in his infamous "burning platforms" memo.

Nokia has a mobile wallet system in place with over a million customers, while Google and Apple are still starting theirs, and kills it? Sorry, but this is way beyond incompetence. It looks more and more like sabotage.

1. Manu T

Re: Another nail in the coffin

I've said it time and time again.

SOMEONE PLEASE FIRE ELOP NOW!!!!

2. N13L5
      Alien

Re: Another nail in the coffin

Its been exactly the kind of sabotage you'd expect from an M$ placed Trojan Horse.

And they do it so obviously, so in the open, nobody can even believe that its really so.

There are only 2 options, he's either a Trojan or he's the most retarded executive ever.

It looks like Nokia will politely leave all tollbooth's to M$, and be reduced to being Microsoft's version of Foxconn, accepting minimal profit, so M$ can rake it in big.

Just waiting to hear about waves of employee suicides at Nokia too, the way things are going.

If I was Elop, I wouldn't dare walk the streets in Finland for fear of finding myself in a ditch riddled by bullets...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

in other news

MS launches a mobile wallet system

1. dogged

Re: in other news

It may or may not be related, but I think that's inevitable anyway.

5. MJI Silver badge

My Nokia maps works offline

OVI Maps

With sat nav.

Works fine off line

And it is a Nokia phone - a good one - N8

6. Charles Calthrop
    Thumb Up

never mind the story,

the best ever Reg headline?

1. dogged

Re: never mind the story,