back to article Apple iPad 3 'retina display' uses Sharp super-high aperture tech

What's the secret behind squeezing four times as many pixels into the same iPad screen area as Apple's display suppliers managed with the previous model and making it look better? A technology called "Super High Aperture", apparently. SHA involves slapping a 3µm "photo-definable acrylic resin layer" on top of the display's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sharp technology reinvented by Apple - news at 11 :)

Either way, only good can come out of this. I will eventualy get monitors that have resolutions that are not curtailed by the latestst highdef standard for movies. Yes I know such monitor do exist, but a mortgage is cheaper than what they cost.

So I'm looking forward to better resolution monitors on the back of the we most follow Apple trends mentality alot in the industry seem to have. YAY, apple fans and non-apple fans win.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sharp technology reinvented by Apple - news at 11 :)

Actually the article doesn't mention this, but a quick search reveals that one of the co-inventors (and patent holders) of the Super High Aperture technique is Dr John Zhong, who - guess what - has been employed by Apple since 1998.

1. DZ-Jay

Re: Sharp technology reinvented by Apple - news at 11 :)

Also, Apple worked on improving the manufacturing process, not necessarily the invention of SHA.

2. Martin Huizing
    Thumb Up

How soon?

How soon till I can buy a 42" or 46" of this delicously crafted technology? I would say the TV's of the future will be 4k ready real soon (or even 8k) even before the movies are here.

I love it when technology works!

1. DrXym

Re: How soon?

A more pressing question is why you need a 4k TV. I suppose its inevitable they'll start appearing and perhaps even gain some support from games consoles and so on (apparently the PS3 has a 4K picture stills mode already).

You'd have to have a massive screen or be 2 feet away from your 46" to to tell the difference and probably only then with high contrast hires content.

3. Robert Grant
    Stop

Is this only news because the iPad 3 has it?

If you stop feeding the crazy Apple fans, they may become less crazy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: Is this only news because the iPad 3 has it?

No it's news because from what I can make of the article it's the first time it's been deployed on a device. It just happens to be an apple one.

It would have been news had anyone done it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Nergatron

"No it's news because from what I can make of the article it's the first time it's been deployed on a device. It just happens to be an apple one. It would have been news had anyone done it."

Really? From the article: "DisplaySearch reckons that a quarter of the LCDs shipping today use the technology." To me that implies that this tech is already being used on a lot of other devices. (Unless the iPad3 can account for 25% of all LCDs currently being manufactured).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ Nergatron

Good call Stike, but what are those 25% of devices? The article doesn't say. I don't know what they are. Do you?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Nope, but curiously there seems to be a newer version of this tech called 'Ultra High Aperture' - which has been used on LCD monitors, TV's, and Laptop displays.

1. Random Handle

>there seems to be a newer version of this tech called 'Ultra High Aperture'

Never mind the quality, feel the width.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

I don't recall seeing similar ultra high resolution displays on the consumer market befor, so to me it is news and I appreciate an article explaining the tech used.

3. ratfox
      Angel

Ad revenue depends on the number of readers, which depends on the number of times the iPad is mentioned in the article!

Which means that iPad iPad iPad iPad iPad. Also, iPad iPad.

4. Robert Price

New Tech

As this is new tech or a new approach, is there any word on any increase in side-effects such as increased risk of dead pixels, reduced viewing angles or light bleeding? Also, as there is another layer (albeit thin) on top of the display, does this give the impression of the image being further behind the glass - or does lamentation of the glass (giving the impression the image is on top) always counter this effect?

5. Morphius
    Coat

So you could say...

That the iPad now features Aperture science inside?

Well this was a triumph!

6. Peter 48
    Thumb Down

needed?

It's nice to have the tech, but I still don't see the "need" for these high resolutions on a 10" display. Let's be honest, the latest Transformer's 1920x1080 is already pretty much overkill, I mean looking at my old transformer at 1280x800 I really don't feel like it is suffering in any way when it comes to resolution, even when reading fine text or viewing photos. I would rather have the fab new A5x processor in an original ipad display and then have mind blowing gaming graphics than waste that computing power blowing everything up to this ridiculous resolution.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: needed?

Yeah and it should be in black & white as well instead of all those newfangeled colors

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

"waste that computing power blowing everything up to this ridiculous resolution."

You are aware aren't you, that it is already blown up to that 'ridiculous' resolution, rendered and then anti-aliased back down so that the individual pixels are not so visible? This all done to stop the images displayed looking like a ZX Spectrum.

Perhaps now they will be able to just render it for the actual screen pixels, and then no anti-aliasinig down-sampling will be needed, leading to a nicer, crisper image with less processing required?

1. Peter 48
        WTF?

Do you actually understand what anti aliasing is? "already blown up to that 'ridiculous' resolution, rendered and then anti-aliased back down" That is utter nonsense. Nothing is blown up at all. If anything the image would be rendered at lower res for 3d games and then upscaled to the ipad3 res, just like the xbox and PS3 do. Any video content would have to be upscaled or run in a box and let's not even mention the vast amount of upscaling that would need to occur to display any kind of web content. Remember, even Hi density displays like the iPhone4, Galaxy Nexus and now the ipad 3 will still use anti aliasing, so no saving there.

7. Chad H.

"Sharp super-high aperture tech"?

Does it have cake?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Sharp super-high aperture tech"?

Of course it has cake. At least, it keeps telling me it has cake.

8. vpthoma

Isn't this the opposite of the wired article? http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/03/ipad-high-res-display-outlook/

This topic is closed for new posts.