back to article iPad 3 'first tablet' with Bluetooth 4.0

The Bluetooth SIG, overseer of the wireless communications standard, was quick this morning to state that Apple's iPad 3 "is the world’s first Bluetooth Smart Ready tablet, incorporating Bluetooth 4.0 and its hallmark feature low energy technology". The SIG didn't say as much, but this is no surprise since not only the iPhone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nigel 15
    Unhappy

I have Bluetooth - nobody to pair with.

my Nokia N8 has Bluetooth 3.

even windows doesn't support it. to date i have never been able to test it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Something to

Patent before they can think up a use for it!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah Bluetooth

The first thing I turn off....

1. ThomH

Re: Ah Bluetooth

But it's really useful! For, ummmm, those turn-your-iPad-into-a-miniature-arcade-machine joysticks?

1. Haku

Re: Ah Bluetooth

Or real keyboards...

3. Naughtyhorse

obviosly the 4g version of bt....

cos the new apples all run 4g - whether your telco has the kit or not :-)

4. Alan Denman

How about old school HDMI?

OH yeh, the ecosystem cash cow means you have to buy Apple TV etc.

1. ThomH

Re: How about old school HDMI?

Or you could just buy the HDMI 'adaptor' (cable, essentially, but to female HDMI). Everyone seems to want about £25 for it though (including third-party alternatives), so you're already a quarter of the way to an Apple TV.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have to buy?

Not if you don't want to. There is no compulsion

3. Steve Ives
      Paris Hilton

Serious question - why do people slate the iPad for not having native HDMI out and needing an adapter, when a lot of it's rivals only have mini- or micro- HDMI and also need an adapter?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Because the adaptor costs more that a standard micro hdmi cable, maybe?

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

An industry standard but still somewhat odd connector is still industry standard.

Such a socket also does not use up the ONE AND ONLY expansion port on the device.

Then there's the fact that your one-and-only-expansion port is also your power connector.

5. Gadgety

BT 4.0 but where is the apt-x?

So BT 4.0 it may have, but it ought to have apt-x which makes hi definition bluetooth audio possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BT 4.0 but where is the apt-x?

apt-x is patented = more money

Not many uses for it anyway. Most speakers don't support it.

6. zanto

so does this mean that you can now transfer files?

i don't own an ipad, but i seem to recall that you're not allowed to transfer files to or from the device using bluetooth. is this still true for stock apple pads?

7. Chris 171
    Devil

Whitetooth more like I suspect.

See title and the way apple only like talking to themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Whitetooth more like I suspect.

Completely false mr Chris 171.

Actually Bluetooth 4 blows the doors right open and third party apps can connect directly to Bluetooth 4 devices without special licensing or intervention from Apple. App Store approved too.

I've made such app myself to connect to an Arduino with a homebrew Bluetooth 4 receiver (CC2540 chip)

No shitty old Bluetooth communications range either, about the same as Wifi.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Whitetooth more like I suspect.

>third party apps can connect directly to Bluetooth 4 devices without special licensing or intervention from Apple. App Store approved too.

So MFi is effectively dead then? That's a major news event. I cynically assumed BT4 was just a side-effect of their chipset choice and they would continue to lock off most of the stack and hardware extension framework as they do now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

OK then

But perhaps Apple should work on their software stack so it can do simple things from Bluetooth 1.0 like send files to other bluetooth devices.

Until they get that fixed, they can have whatever fucking Bluetooth hardware version they want, as the fact is, they don't even have Bluetooth 1.0 yet in software.

9. M Gale

So does this mean...

...that I could finally be able to send somebody with an iDevice a file?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heart monitor

I've seen loads of people out running with an iPad in their rucksack. I think.

11. Lusty

How often do you all actually send files over Bluetooth? I've done it to try it but never found it useful on this type of device.

1. kwhitefoot
      Linux

All the time

I have a Nokia N73 with which I take a lot of photographs. Both my Windows laptop and all my Linux boxes automatically copy the pictures and video via Bluetooth. Also when I want to take a shopping list with me it is convenient to type it on a computer and send it to the mobile. Of course it is also a good music player so again I send tracks to it via Bluetooth. If I could afford the data traffic I would also use the mobile as a 3G modem.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        Thumb Up

Ditto all the time

I move things on and off my phone using bluetooth all the time. I don't have to worry about where it is (not even which room in the house it's in), an dcertainly don't have to go faffing around with cables.

Granted BT is not fast, but for the occasional file, is a lot quicker than routing through a draw for a cable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

all the time

I regularly send music, playlists and pictures to friends phones .. Only an itard would be too blinded to think that isn't desirable.

3. bazza Silver badge

Contacts?

Well, if you count a .vcf contact file in that category of Bluetooth action, then quite often. It's sort of the forgotten piece of functionality that Apple don't seem to care about.

In the days before Facebook, Myspace, etc. people would swap photos with Bluetooth. It's still quite effective - it incurs no data cost and works irrespective of local 3G coverage - but generally people have forgotten about that little nugget of functionality. With smart phones and now tablet becoming more and more capable, it ought to be something that happens more.

This is typical of the effect that Apple (and Android to a lesser extent) have had on the market. Apple implemented a smart-ish phone that was lacking in several key areas (crap battery life, the ability to make and hold on to a phone call, most of Bluetooth not working, no support for Java apps, poor security, expensive to buy and run, unreliable, fragile, prone to breaking down, etc. etc) and then managed to persuade customers in their millions that none of that was important. And then Apple (in an impressively cynical way) claim to be great innovators when they finally put right some of those omissions (which so far they've failed to do by most accounts).

For example, it is perfectly feasible these days to turn up with (and I pick RIM purely because I know for sure that you can do this) a Blackberry Playbook, give a Powerpoint presentation using it connected to a projector with the notes displayed on the tablet's own screen, using your Bluetooth connected Blackberry phone as a back/forward remote control. Then if anyone wants a copy of the presentation you could just Bluetooth it straight to their phone, laptop, along with contacts details. None of it needs a cloud, 3G coverage, prior knowledge of their email address, etc. So it works, and its reliable. Unless they've got an iPhone, or possibly if they've an Android. Reliability of such technology is absolutely key if you want to make that sale!

But because of the generally depressive effect that the likes of Apple have on what people's expectations are of technology, it is very difficult for companies that do actually make this stuff work to get their message across. In effect their advertising has to be along the lines of "Things can be better than an iPhone! Don't fall for the Cappuccino PR". Which isn't a very good message to dish out to people who've got expensive iPhones burning holes in their pockets and don't want to be told they're stupid for not having looked elsewhere.

4. squilookle
      Happy

Bluetooth Usage

The self service photo kiosks at Asda support Bluetooth. When I have to get photos printed, rather than finding a USB stick and carrying that to the shop with me, I move the photos from the computer to the phone using Dropbox, and then send them to the kiosk via Bluetooth. when I get to the shop

12. jason 7
    Meh

One of those features......

hardly anyone uses.

I used to use it about 7 years ago to hook up a GPS unit to a smartphone but it was a PITA.

Abut as useful as those PCI-e slots on laptops. At least they dont bother with those anymore.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: PCI-e slots on laptops

I think that you'll find that they now call it Thunderbolt, and it's all the rage.

just saying...

1. jason 7

Oh you mean that custom Displayport thing that has set the world alight....

Not going to hold my breath on that one either.

2. bazza Silver badge

Or indeed the fact that a large proportion of laptops do indeed have a spare mini PCIe socket (that also carries USB for some reason) inside?

Quite often the connector isn't soldered to the motherboard, but the contacts are generally there somewhere on the PCB.

13. Tomislav

Re:

How often do I send files over bluetooth? I have never used bluetooth for anything else. I have done it at least once every 3 months for the past 4+ years, sometimes a lot more often. It is great when you have to send a photo or a video to an older handset that does not have net access.

1. steogede

Re: Re:

>> ... at least once every 3 months for the past 4+ years

With the transfer rate of Bluetooth I'd be surprised if you could manage to transfer more than one file every 3 months.

1. kwhitefoot
        FAIL

That's just ridiculous. I use it everyday and transfer several megabytes of pictures. I've just sent disc one of the remastered Made In Japan (128kbps, MP3) to my N73 from my Acer One, it took 14 minutes and is 70MB, that's just over 80k byte per second. That's fast enough for MP3 streaming.

Granted it is not as fast as WiFi would be but then I would need some kind of router and my mobile would need both WiFi and access to the network. With a peer to peer connection like Bluetooth I can transfer data even where there is no network or where my device does not have permission to connect, for instance, in my office where only company computers can connect to the wireless network.

1. Danny 14
          Go

router? My galaxy S2 will act as a wifi adhoc network (i've done roughly the same as you to copy pictures between phones), surely your acer one would do the same?

Oddly enough, before we thought of adhoc'ing it was faster to email the pictures to each other over H+ now that is sad when email works faster than bluetooth...

2. A. Nervosa

80kbps?

Please give my regards to the '90s.

2. steogede

>> ... at least once every 3 months for the past 4+ years

Given the transfer rate of Bluetooth I'd be surprised if you could manage to transfer more than one file every 3 months.

14. R 11

Mono headsets

How about they make mono bluetooth headsets work - you know the ones you can use with every other bluetooth device on the planet, including iPhones? I'd imagine there are many more iPad users that would appreciate that than there will be using Bluetooth 4 devices.

15. yorcharturo

so what, apple has blocked many functions of bluetooth, functions of bluetooth 1.0 until they free all the capabilities of bluetooth I would care about it

16. Bodhi

I've got to laugh at all the Mactards on here saying "Well I never use it, so no one ever uses it". Seems a bit like me saying "Well I never use Video Chat, so what's the point in Facetime then?". Just because you can;t figure out how to use it properly doesn;t mean there aren't others out here who find Bluetooth File Transfer bloody useful, be it for quickly sending a photo to my latop without arsing about with cables or quickly sending a pciture to someone else.

There are plenty of us out here who would rather use paper and pen than work the way Apple forces you to work. At least other platforms leave in a bit of flexibility,,,

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like