back to article Ten... stars of the Geneva Motor Show

Reg Hardware Car Week The annual automotive get-together on the shores of Lake Geneva is arguably now the premier annual European car show. With auto makers having a better time of the current economic situation than many other manufacturing concerns, there was a definite feeling of optimism about the halls of the 82nd Geneva …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

Mondeo in drag

So how come we don't get similar comment every time the VAG bring out some new premium model "It's only a Skoda in drag" ?

Which would normally be much nearer the fact.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Mondeo in drag

Actually it would be more accurate to say that the Skoda is a VW/Audi that's left its sequinned frock, feather boa and high heels at home......

2. Jim 59

Badgenomics

Indeed. Skoda in drag, Seat in drag, Golf in drag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform

3. Shades

I always thought it was the other way, Volkswagen & Audi design the platform while Skoda & SEAT get the benefits.

But you are right about the Jag, at least the old version of the X-Type, the underpinnings to that were Ford through and through... lift up its skirt and there was more Ford badges hidden away on various bits than there were Jaguar. Whether this is still going to be the case for the X-Types replacement (as we all know platform/parts sharing goes on on massive scale), now JLR are owned by Tata, I'm not so sure. Mind you, the XKs are just as bad, peel back various bits and you'll find a plethora of Ford and even Land Rover badges. Some obvious (like various switches lifted straight from Volvos), some hidden in plain sight (like head light electronics borrowed from Land Rover), and some completely hidden (like the explosive roll-over hoops from Ford/Land Rover).

While we're on the subject of Jaguar I may as well post this here:

From the article: "expect the bulk of the sales to go to the excellent 3.0-litre, six-cylinder and 2.2-litre, four-cylinder diesel models"

If they're anything like those present in the old X-Type and S-Type they are good engines, but not excellent. Yes, they do go like stink once you get them going, yes, they are smooth and waft you along quite comfortably and yes, they have plenty of torque but coupled with auto 'boxes, as they invariably were, they were horrendously lethargic and lazy. I realise this may have been the fault of the 'boxes but, put foot down and... nothing, nothing, nothing then wooooosh off we go. However, the 3.0-litre 6 cylinder petrol engines in the X-Types, when snuggled up to a manual box at least (which I found to be as rare as rocking horse sh*t) were actually very nice to drive.

Still, not as nice as the 4.2-litre supercharged V8s in the S-Type R and XK Rs though (I'm not counting those in the XJs as they were like driving round in a barge... or small house!)

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Pretty much all of the laziness in the 2.7D used in the S-Type is down to turbo lag, and pretty much all of that is apparent only when moving away from a standing start when the engine has been idling - asking for more power when you're already moving results in a significantly quicker response. The autobox can also be a bit reluctant to change down if you don't floor the accelerator hard enough with the box in normal mode, but if you've put it into sport mode or are manually persuading it to downshift via the left-hand side of the J-gate, then it's quite willing to shuffle the cogs around in a manner that promotes rapid acceleration...

From what I've heard about the 3.0D used in the XF, a significant reduction in this turbo lag is one of the ticks in the "ways this engine is shedloads better than the old lump" column, so it probably does deserve to be described as "excellent".

2. Chris Miller
    Thumb Up

At last

An updated Reliant Scimitar GTE. Thank you Jaguar.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: At last

I do hope that Princess Anne gets one.

2. /dev/null

Re: At last

Heck of a lot bigger than a GTE I'll bet!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Mazda i-ELOOP...

... enough battery to get you and the pregnant girlfriend from anywhere to Gretna Green?

4. James Pickett

And the IT angle? Oh, sorry - it's being held somewhere mildly exotic...

A Bentley SUV, though? Dear God.

5. MJI Silver badge

That Bentley

Repulsively ugly

1. Chris Miller

Re: That Bentley

But ugly is the new beautiful for Chelsea tractors: Q7, Cayenne, X6 all fugly. And even the Continental looks like a Ferrari that's been fed on a diet of 10lbs of potatoes a day for 3 months.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re:Ugly new beautiful

If I bought one, I would buy a Solihul product, not ugly.

Sorry but the best styled upmarket off roader ever is the original Range Rover, that is how they should look, not that Toerag variant.

2. DrXym

It looks like they're trying to capture the market for producing ridiculous bling tanks that appeal to rappers, Russian oligarchs and other people with money but no taste to buy.

1. Jim 59

Our council executives have to have something to spend their annual 250k on.

3. Paul Westerman
      FAIL

When I was scrolling down and could only see the top half of the photo, I thought it was an Austin Maxi...

4. Lamont Cranston

Ugly?

Why, yes - it's been designed to match its occupants.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

>134 MPG, <50g CO2/Km

But will anyone *buy* one?

Will they f**k.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Y u no mention Car of the year?

or did I miss it somewhere? not included in the '10 stars' and although the car gets a cursory slot number 9 in "The best plug-in hybrids and pure-play EVs", no mention of awards or why so awarded.... shame :(

8. DrXym

Oh dear

That Toyota FT-Bh has to be one of the ugliest cars I've seen in a long time. I wonder why this happens so much with concept vehicles. Yes it's a good idea to try out new looks but there must be a stage in the process where you can render a design in software and decide - "nope that looks absolutely hideous." before producing the thing.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

Re: Oh dear

Yup, that's genuinely awful.

The front end looks like someone's applied the styling of a Daimler Dart to a Kubelwagen. An interesting concept that begs the question; "Why would you want to?".......

1. Shades

I'm surprised neither of you have picked upon the vertical blades that seem to form the front "wings". Even for a technological show-piece concept, with zero chance of making it into production with that body, the wings, for me at least, really detract (distract?) from the overall message of the car. All it puts in my mind is Toyota have really taken a disliking to pedestrians!

2. PoorLumpyPony

I would of thought (could be wrong I am no engineer, or at least not that kind fo engineer) that as its designed to be 'wind cheating' that the design shown is specifically based around this concept rather than aesthetic tastes.

3. Armando 123

Now I won't hear that! Why, there's a car in Eastbourne ...

4. TheRealRoland
      Happy

I think one of the character designers from the movie 'Cars' was asked by Toyota to design a real car...

Look at it again, and see how easy it will be for them to make a face out of the front...

9. Shades

Just my opinions...

Bentley EX P 9: Liberace with wheels. Completely vulgar but going to be popular with a certain set in Cheshire.

Citroën DS5: Citroën seem to be getting their noses very right just recently, still not sure about the "swoosh" running from headlight to front side windows. Or the curled-back moustache fog/running lights.

Ford B-Max: As with the model this is replacing, the Fusion, Ford don't seem to be able to get the proportions quite right. Still, slightly better looking than the Fusion at least.

Hyundai i-oniq concept: Lose the ridiculous doors, as it surely will, and put it into production!

Infiniti EMERG-E concept: One word. Beautiful. As with the Hyundai above they seem to be designing cars from the future.

Jaguar XF Sportbrake: Soon to be parked up in a space reserved for visiting reps in some faceless business park near you. Or the golf club. Actually, thats a little harsh, the rear end still has a slight whiff of Mondeo about it but its not a bad looker for an estate. (C'mon Jaguar, along with Audi and their "Sportbacks" and "Avants", you're fooling nobody!)

Mazda Takeri: Why does this, from the front quarter panels backwards, make me think of the new MG? Better than the drab saloons they usually produce though.

Morgan Plus E concept: Do Morgan only make cars for Richard Hammond?

Peugeot 208 GTi Concept: Not sure about this at all. Reminds me of an old drunks bulbous red nose and seems to have been given unnecessary creases because everybody else is doing it and they couldn't really think of anything else to differentiate backwards of the front quarter from the previous models. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't tone it down for production and end up with something essentially the same as the long-since uninspiring 206 (which just seems to get tubbier and tubbier with every incarnation).

Toyota FT-Bh: I know its just a technological show-piece, but still, WTF? LOL

And last, but by no means least:

The model (visitor??) in the first picture: Forget the cars, where do I get myself one of those?

1. dogged

Re: Just my opinions...

You have no taste. The Morgan in British racing Green might finally give us an e-car a sane man could actually love.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was a new Maserati - everything else in the world is ugly and boring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/07/2012-maserati-granturismo-sport-geneva-2012/

11. David Evans

On the Bentley - its wilfully ugly but the interior is superb. Will be a huge hit with Arabs, Russians and rappers.

The Citroen, I've liked the look of this since I first saw it last year, but I've heard discouraging stories about the ride and the gearbox quality, which is a real shame because its quite the looker inside and out.

Ford B-Max, innovative but ugly. When the S-Max is so right, why can't Ford seem to replicate that with its smaller MPVs? There's also a new Kuga at Geneva that shows they've still got some design chops.

The Jaguar. I've reached the time in my life when I can get away with driving a Jaaaag, and I have a young family, so do want. Premium estates are the new black dontcha know, and this is much prettier than the Audi Avant or the 5-Series touring (even if they both probably objectively better cars - I don't care).

12. dboy

auto show or boat show?

So if this is an auto show, how come the first picture is of a pretty girl in a boat?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this bentley looks like a cross

between a coffin and a hearse. Twofer, how convenient.

14. nigel 15
    FAIL

Take these images with your phone?

the image quality in this article is awful. did you take them with your phone )due an upgrade?) or resize them with an abacus?

David Bailey couldn't make the Bentley look nice though.

15. AJ MacLeod

Strange times

I can hardly believe that the only one that got me vaguely interested was a Hyundai. Well, the Morgan's nice of course but just the same as ever (as it should be.)

16. ItsNotMe
    Coat

Hyundai i-oniq

Hyundai should expect a letter from Apple's legal department any day now.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love that Hyundai

The i-oniq looks very Giugiaro-esque to me. I love it. Gull-wing doors FTMFW. I really hope it still looks like that once in production.

Same sentiment goes for the FT-Bh, I would so roll that all day long if it ever saw the light of day. In white but with blue vinyl trim please Toyoda San ;-)

(I'll pass on the Bentley though, thanx. And the Morgan... well if I fancied one I'd prefer the fun of nailing it together for myself.)

18. Ralph B
    Go

I was there

Had a test drive in a Renault Twizy. It was wonderful fun. If they would drop (or at least lower) the battery rental costs, I'd buy one in a flash.

19. MJI Silver badge

More thoughts

Only one I could see myself in (if I could afford it) would be the XF, actually if the XFs depreciate enough I may get an early one in a few years - that or a BMW 530D. Since GM stopped making large cars interesting cars for the UK market (sorry can't afford a V8). The non premium large RWD sector has almost vanished.

I do not like Wrong Wheel Drive - just feels wrong I am afraid.

That Bentley (again) why would anyone not buy a Range Rover if they had the money?

The Nissan - would prefer a Z370 or a GT-R.

Mazda - good styling.

Morgan - need to think electric more, gearbox - do not need, that is what electronics are for.

20. foo_bar_baz

Mazda

Sex on wheels. I've always liked Mazda styling.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pitch at Bentley concept meeting

"You know what our uber rich, highest end customers want.... utility, lets give them room to haul stuff" Worst. idea. ever. If you are going to create an SUV, create a tricked out Range Rover style SUV, not a stationwagon.

22. Robert E A Harvey

want

I want the Jag estate or/and the Morgan electric.

Not that I can afford either, but I can dream, can't I?

Yes, the Bentley SUV is wretched.

23. Lamont Cranston

Car design is long dead,

and this appears to have been largely an exercise in kicking its corpse. Humbug.

This topic is closed for new posts.