back to article Apple to Google Maps: ‘Get lost’

Thanks heavens it’s only for photo-tagging: Apple has tossed yet another gauntlet onto the ground in its ongoing spat with Google, dropping Google Maps out of iPhoto for iOS and opting for OpenStreetMap instead. The move was the subject of speculation for a few days before being announced on the OpenStreetMap Foundation blog …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Test Man
    FAIL

Pffff.... Google has been known to get their maps wrong too. Currently they've mislabelled the village of "Welwyn" as "Welwyn Garden City" - Welwyn Garden City is actually the town directly north of Hatfield. They acknowledged the mistake in an e-mail but said that it's not easily fixable - I'm sure it IS easily fixable in OSM.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same here, had a road nearby that wasn't suitable so suited even for horses let alone cars, but Google insisted on routing the poor users through it. One could see who used Google Maps and who used better maps like TomTom by the state of their parked cars.

Submitted a bug which stood in their queue for 2 years.

Fortunately the council came and resurfaced the whole thing. It's quite telling when a Council roadworks fixes things faster than Google :-)

1. Ole Juul
        Facepalm

Google is special

In these parts, Google has renamed some streets and moved part of the main highway onto a small insignificant dirt road that is usually a dead end, depending on the time of year. Sometimes I look out my window and I see a shiny city car coming at great speed on the highway and continuing onto the dirt road without making the left turn that most locals would do. That's when I wonder if Google is their friend - since that would be the most likely explanation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Google is special

Come on, you do all realise that Google don't actually do any mapping? That they buy the maps? You do, right?

The road at the side of my house was incorrectly labelled, so, I went to the Teleatlas website, Teleatlas being the company that supplies Googles maps in these parts, and logged the error. Took a while, but, the road is now named properly.

How many of you have actually logged the fault with the mapping suppliers and not with Google?

As for blaming Google for people driving down dirt tracks etc. That's not Google's fault, that's the idiot driver who is at fault.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Its took Teleatlas two years to update a error in South Kensington that I reported.

2. Test Man
            Stop

Yes, we know that Google buy the maps, however they invite people to tell them about errors on the actual website, so they clearly can do something about it on their own system In fact, I've submitted a few errors or changes and they have done it within 24 hours.

But they don't in some cases and the mislabelling of Welwyn Garden City is one of them.

There's little point in complaining to the map makers they buy it from because the map makers can't do anything about it on the third-party site directly, only indirectly when the third party updates the maps by taking it from them again (which is once in a blue moon).

1. kain preacher

Well Google must just Sack off in the UK. Here California I've seen them update there maps before the new on/off ramps were finished .

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. steogede

>> Come on, you do all realise that Google don't actually do any mapping? That they buy the maps? You do, right?

I just wish TeleAtlas or Google bought their maps from OS

4. Ian Michael Gumby
            Devil

Uhm... Google got started buying maps from teleAtlas and NAVTEQ. But a few years ago, they started doing their own maps.

You may want to get your facts straight.

Just saying....

2. ElNumbre
      Thumb Up

Yep, it is.

It is easily fixable on the main OSM. Goto edit, login/register, make your change, commit, wait between 2 mins and 24hrs for the tiles to be re-rendered and tada!

Interestingly though, Apple won't know much about my area, only the main roads had been mapped in 2010. So presumably anything tagged here will be shown as 'in a field'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yep, it is.

Same issue. 80% of our Village hasn't been done, so it will seem photo's my street will be in the middle of a 100 hectare field.

Still I don't use any Apple stuff and don't feel the urge to tag everything either.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Yep, it is.

then get out and map it then! i did our village a year or so before google had it - it's not hard and you get to learn your way around.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Took Google years to correctly position Clapham in Central London

Even when they were told about it, persistently.

4. FatGerman
      FAIL

My favourite

... on Google Maps is that Macclesfield is called MacClesfield. (Or was last time I looked, I'm not a journalist, I don't have to check that my facts are up to date)

1. amanfromearth

Re: My favourite

We clearly all need to report to then that it's a minor scottish outpost and the correct name is Mc Clesfield

2. AdamWill

not really a 'gauntlet'

"Apple has tossed yet another gauntlet onto the ground in its ongoing spat with Google"

This is far more likely motivated by Google's starting to charge for the Maps API.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not really a 'gauntlet'

Apple still has a contract with Google maps until the end of April I think - can't find the link

Also the licence with OSM changes in April. Proper confirmation would be good

Hopefully apple will support OSM upstream, but they have bought a mapping company recently (last year?). No linky for that either

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Re: not really a 'gauntlet'

So, Google is charging for their APIs?

Give away a product for free, using revenue from Advertising to pay for the costs of Google Maps.

The free product wipes out the competition because they can't afford to compete.

Now when there's no or little competition, they start to charge?

Hmmm. Can you smell the anti-trust lawyers starting to circle?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Can you smell the anti-trust lawyers starting to circle?"

Google has the best lawyers money can buy.

So does Apple.

Who has more money?

Anti-trust doesn't really come into it, even though (if?) it should.

1. Dunstan Vavasour
          Coat

Re: "Can you smell the anti-trust lawyers starting to circle?"

Now.

I don't like Google's lawyers

But I also don't like Apple's lawyers

But which is worse? There's only one way to find out...

2. OrsonX

"Now when there's no or little competition, they start to charge?"

So?

Doesn't that make sense?

Isn't that what you would do?

I would!

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          WTF?

Re: "Now when there's no or little competition, they start to charge?"

@orsonX

When you wipe out the competition by providing a product or service at a loss because unlike the competition you can subsidize you product/service through the sales of another product/service, that anti-competitive nature is illegal. Just ask Microsoft who was labeled a monopoly....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair

The new OpenStreetMap data for the location mentioned in the article, Wentworth Falls, seems quite good - maybe even better than Google's. Apple just needs to update its copy to the latest version.

OpenStreetMaps has improved dramatically in recent months.

1. Steve Renouf
      FAIL

Re: To be fair

Well it's pretty crap for Jersey - I'd estimate that about 75% of the roads are missing!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jersey

Wow it is pretty bad.

Maybe you could contribute some updates? Here's a nice video on how to start:

web based tool to submit modifications to OSM

Alternatively use some smartphone app like MotionX to log your tracks and then upload them.

2. MacroRodent
      Thumb Down

OpenStreetMap is pretty good in places with lots of active users, and USELESS elsewhere. I used to file bugs in it in my neighbourhood (with www.openstreetbugs.org - makes it painless and fun), but then realized that it's a too small drop in the bucket. My neighbourhood in OSM is now as good as the official city maps (even has a common bug in other maps fixed: they have a fictional road that was planned at one time but never really built, which confuses satnav users), but go 20km north and you cannot rely on OSM at all. The official mappers at least make an effort to have a consistent level of detail all over the country.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You get what you pay for unfortunately.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fictional road? May really be fictional - BBC did a series of maps a few years ago presented by Nicholas Crane taking a historical map each year and seeing how it related to the area today. One program came upto date with the London A-Z map which he used to find a specific location where he would be some of the A-Z mappers ... he got to where the road was on the A-Z map and met the mappers but the road wasn't there. The A-Z people then explained that the road he was looking for was one of the small number of "deliberate mistakes" they add to their maps so that they can determine if other map makers are simply copying their maps.

1. Jad
          Thumb Up

to site the ever reliable wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_street :)

2. Test Man
          Thumb Up

Ah, so effectively "watermarking" their maps.

Smart.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Headmaster

Ummmmm...

"The OSM data – following a massage by Apple – is displayed..."

Was that a Swedish, Thai or Shiatsu massage?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ummmmm...

Thai Ladyboy

5. Lance 3

Shot across the bow

What would happen in Google decided to dump h.264 and go WebM/Flash only for youtube? Quite a few iOS devices would be tubeless. That might also mean that Google isn't willing to pull that trigger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shot across the bow

Go away

You do realie that Google own Motorola? Motorola is an owner of some H264 patents and isn't part of MPEG-LA. So now we have Google part owning a patent they want to kill.

Here's a shot across your bows -

Google paid 12.5 million for Moto a company that lost 80 million in the last quarter. How do they make any money out of that? They don't.

1. waltg

I think they may be able to offset that 80 million loss against next years profits so turning that loss into a profit!

2. Lance 3
        FAIL

I see why you are a coward and a fucking dumb one at that. Google spent $12.5 BILLION on Motorola, not $12.5 million. You should be quite accustomed to zeros since you are one.

Google spent $124.6 million on VP2 to buy their codecs. If Google wants to push the use of WebM, dropping H.264 would be the first step. Either Apple supports or they don't.

Google bought Motorola for the patents. They are going to use them to take care of that fee that the manufacturers are paying Microsoft for each Android device. Then they can also for the H.264 side of things as well. Now Apple and Microsoft want to squash WebM and push H.264, well Apple and Microsoft will need to pay licensing fees for every H.264 device they sell. Google has over $43 billion in cash. Motorola gives them some ammo against Apple and Microsoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the personal attack - over a typo, I think you're being a little over sensitive

I really hope that the delusions of yours work out because the patents google. got are worthless. Microsoft and Apple can easily assert he patents they control under MPEG-LA and stop Moto in it's tracks. It won't happen of course, they'll license

Zero is the amount you understand

1. Lance 3

It is just that time of the month for you. Don't pay attention to the Anonymous Coward behind the curtain, it is just a fucking imbecile.

1) Even if they were successful in grouping the patents, it still requires Apple and Microsoft in paying royalties to use said patents to Google.

2) Motorola was also going after Apple for use of 3G patents that are being infringed upon by all 3G/4G iOS devices. Care to guess what Motorola is trying to get; $10 per device.

3) Motorola was also trying to force Microsoft in paying $22.50 to use patents relating to video and wireless connections.

How much was Microsoft charging the Android hardware manufacturers? Ahh, $10. You don't think that Google can't get that taken care of now? If no, then Microsoft will be paying a lot more to Google than the Android hardware manufacturers are paying to Microsoft. Microsoft and Apple are the ones that have a lot to lose. Jobs started a war and there is no love lost between Google and Apple.

2. Lance 3

Million, billion whats the difference?

Any company that lost $80 million and was being purchased for $12.5 million would be in bankruptcy.

You are an imbecile!

3. Manu T

They will make money out of it... eventually.

How probably the same way they're doing wth their maps API.

1) first give it free untill all competition is gone

2) .. then charge for it.

3) ...if your (former) clients then decide to use one o/t leftovers, sue their asses off.

In this case they will eventually (ab)use Motorola as leverage if and when their current OEM-partners decide to jump ship and go for Windows Phone. Especially uselfull with the current market-penetration of Android devices.

It's a one shot between the eyes of HTC (the biggest OEM-manufacturer of Android devices) then they take over THAT company, ditch all non-Android portfolio and upto the next.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could be a great opportunity for Vimeo!

Actually not sure why don't more people use Vimeo, it's . Any ideas fellow commentards?

1. 142

they're very restrictive about what you can upload.

2. Neil Charles

Youtube's just better known would be my guess.

I like Vimeo the way it is - without all the garbage and txt spk comments that clutter up Youtube. People who search for a better solution than Youtube find Vimeo and they also tend to be the sorts of people who take more care over what they upload.

Vimeo's like a good restaurant at the moment, which not everybody in town knows is there. Don't tell them or it will fill up with noisy kids and they'll ruin it.

3. ThomH

If Google were to dump H.264 and go WebM/Flash on YouTube they'd instantly cut off most Android devices. Flash is deprecated and in any case works really poorly on ARMv6 models — such as most budget phones of the last few years. Hardware decoding is also generally H.264 only.

So the Apple angle hardly comes into it.

1. Benjamin 4

Would they really cut off android devices? Even my old and chronically underpowered HTC Hero had enough grunt to display flash, so I struggle to see how modern low powered devices which have similar specs would struggle.

1. Manu T

@Benjamin 4: What you mention has usually NOTHING to with the technical possibility of being able to run the program.

In the case of Flash not running on iOS this is due to a personal dispute between Steve Jobs and some CEO of Adobe (usually triggered by greed). The same with Nokia, the reason why they went to Microsoft and not to Google is because Nokia demanded a 'special deal' to use Android (read: get all the google API's for free while current partners have to pay for the google-stuff) and Google said No. They'd probably didn't wanna favor Nokia above other long-time partners like HTC or Samsung and that's the reason why Nokia isn't going with Android. They're technically apt to build linux-based devices as they prove with the N9.

In essence the world runs on greed and that's why technology is working against us these days instead of for us.

2. Lance 3
        FAIL

I can go and pull a 5-year handset out of a desk and it will play flash videos from youtube just fine.

1. ThomH

The people saying there's no performance problem with Flash on budget Android devices (and I accept that the discussion is essentially my anecdote versus yours so there's no reason for a third party to believe any of us over the others) are missing the other significant part of my point against Flash — it's deprecated. As in, by Adobe. It will no longer be developed. One day soon it simply won't work.

I would therefore maintain that it simply isn't an option, regardless.

As for the allegations that Flash isn't on the iPhone because of greed, I strongly disagree. Flash didn't make it to Android until 2010 — three years after the iPhone's launch. That suggests it genuinely wasn't ready in 2007. I think it's more likely that Apple's initial decision was a technical one and that the subsequent fighting between the companies, from which I don't think Apple comes out looking all that good, caused it to entrench its position.

1. Lance 3

But WebM is being added so that it can be decoded in hardware. Soon newer Arm processors will be in the budget minded Android handsets anyway, so even if it it could be done in hardware, the hardware will be able to handle it anyway. So by the time that Flash does go away, the transition to WebM is already there.

Jobs didn't want Flash because it would make him lose control. You can't control what "apps" people are getting from the app store when Flash allows them to be hosted on-line anywhere.

4. cashxx

Then they would loose alot of customers!!

1. DRendar
        Headmaster

"Then they would loose alot of customers!!"

How exactly does one 'loose' a customer? I don't know about you but no one I know has a screw-top head!

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: How exactly does one 'loose' a customer?

Yeah, the OP missed out a 'let'; he should've said "Then they would LET loose a lot of customers!" :-P

6. HamishNZ
    WTF?

Attribute

It's really odd you missed that Apple is contravening OSM's attribution requirements - basically the data is being used illegally as it stands. From the blog post:

> "It’s also missing the necessary credit to OpenStreetMap’s contributors; we look forward to working with Apple to get that on there."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Attribute

"we look forward to working with Apple to get that on there."

Yeah. Good luck with that, sport.

7. P. Lee
    Holmes

My enemy's enemy may not be that helpful

Sure Google gets it wrong, but does it get it as wrong as often?

At least the mobile devices are the best that apple could hope for. A little snooping of the old GPS combined with the OCR on the odd picture and you have a user community that maps itself.

8. ratfox
    Gimp

I hope Apple keeps Google maps for directions

Especially for public transport. Having accurate info about which train/bus combination is the best at each time of the day is a life saver.

9. Mystic Megabyte

var newLayer=

I spent all yesterday trying to get OSM tiles to be served in a web-page.

I can't get my head around the x,y,z naming thing, I have top-level tile folders 8,9,10,11 and 12. Where am I going wrong?

var newLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.OSM("New Layer", "/home/mm/Tmp/Tiles/${z}/${x}/${y}.png", {numZoomLevels: 12});

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and should ZoomLevels be 12 or 5 or what?

10. DrXym

Cool project

Open Street Map is pretty cool but it's not hard to find some pretty dubious information on there or roads which lacking fine detail which is present on commercial mapping services.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cool project

It almost seems like an invitation to try to get incorrect data added to the database. I remember years back (25-ish years ago I think) when The Times added a "noticeboard" section where readers could send in details of events that would be displayed there (sort of like an early "open source listings service") ... Private Eye then issued the challenge to their readers to see what utterly obscure events could get printed their and they offered a £5 reward for an obscure event which was bumped up to £10 if the event didn't actually exist!

1. Allthegoodhandlesaretaken

Re: Cool project

As this is crowd sourced, perhaps elreg could run a competition to see if anyone could get Apples HQ renamed something less then appropriate on the maps.

Think of the fun that would result when the first Apple exec finds his press released photos were tagged as taken in Hell/Hull, Google Towers or Sinclair Research...

11. Zap
    Thumb Down

A poor decision for users by Apple

This is called “throwing the baby out with the bathwater” if Apple carries on like this it could actually help Android as the balance of value tips towards Google.

Apple should leave it to users to decide what they want, oh no I forgot they are an IT Dictator.

The question is whether they will allow a third party to create an App that uses Google Maps, if not they will breach EU competition law.

1. Charles 9

Questionable.

After all, both Garmin and TomTom have their own internal resources and so don't have to rely on Google, then there's OpenStreetMap, which is crowdsourced. Google could fire back that since there is more than one mapping repository, competition does exist, and since you don't have to use Google Maps on Android (just download an alternate mapper), consumers still have choice.

2. Manu T

Re: A poor decision for users by Apple

"The question is whether they will allow a third party to create an App that uses Google Maps, if not they will breach EU competition law."

there already is a third party app. It's called "TomTom App for iPhone/iPad" and users don't care whether it uses google's data or someone else's. So if you really want proper navigation be smart and BUY a proper solution.

But probably meant this: "The question is whether they will allow a third party to create a FREEWARE App that uses Google Maps"... unfortunatly that's NOT upto Apple but to the developper of that app because he would have to pay google for the aforementioned API.

12. g e
    Trollface

Well

At least it seems to work outside the USA...

That's an improvement.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

People aren't thinking Jobsian here

If the Jesus phone tells us that the the town is now called 'Valley of the waters' as blessed by his holiness Steve Jobs - (God rest his soul until his resurrection) then the town is now called 'Valley of waters'. It is done. Amen.

Jobs says it's in the wrong place? Someone start the iDiggers(tm).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freemium is the new premium.

Freemium is the new premium, freemium is the new premium, freemium is the new premium.

This mantra certainly needs practice

15. nsld
    FAIL

Oh well

The problem with anything crowdsourced is the level of accuracy, look at wikipedia as a great example of crowdsourced stuff with lots of errors.

Your paying £600 odd quid unlocked for a smart phone and the maps option is flaky at best so that Apple dont have to pay a licence fee for a better map, thats really not a positive user experience. Its not like they cant afford to do it.

And what happens when people crowdsource some humour into the maps?

1. Charles 9

Re: Oh well

Depends on the crowd doing the sourcing.

Here's a concrete example. In my city, two years ago, a road was extended to connect to another road, creating a significant shortcut. It took Google a good six months to put it on their maps. Then, just last month, a new motorway interchange was completed and opened: another significant shortcut. It's not on Google's maps yet, but thanks to an Android GPS tracer, i was able to add it to OSM the day after it opened (I was working the day it opened).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Depends on the crowd doing the sourcing."

When its just "another opensource crowd sourcing project" then the "crowd" probably will be people who want to be part of making the project succeed. However when it becomes the source of maps for an iconic brand then maybe lots of people will get the idea of feeding it with incorrect info "just for the lulz"

"Thanks to an Android GPS tracer, i was able to add it to OSM" .... then for militant fandroids it may almost be a requirement to take action to damage "the opposition"!

1. Charles 9

I only used an Android tracer because I have an Android phone and because it was handier than resorting to the hardware GPS logger I used three years ago--no fiddling with bluetooth or USB serial connections hooked up to third-party Java programs. It spat out GPX, KML, whatever you wanted in realtime, which I could then pass on to my computer easily.

2. nsld
        Paris Hilton

Thats great Charles but not everone is as committed as you are and there is certainly scope for some amusing troll action.

I seem to recall that when David Carradine died his wiki page suggested he was killed by Ninja's and that Chuck Norris was too drunk to protect him, thats the level of amusement you get on the interwebs when stuff is crowdsourced, whilst its a laugh on wiki its a little different on a map application where the data needs to be accurate.

It wont be long before Apple users get to enjoy the spitting image map of the world.

16. Kevin7
    Stop

Every idiot knows that proper cartography is both extremely expensive and extremely valuable and there's no cheap shortcut to providing it. Trying to provide mapping on a global scale is well outside the resources of OSM - sooner or later Apple will have to start paying for mapping if it intends to keep on providing it. The irony is that Nokia had the best navigation of any phone manufacturer, world-class mapping on your phone that didn't even need a data connection to work.

1. Manu T

@ Kevin7

Nokia still HAS NavTeq.

17. vic 4

Here is an idea

Allow the user the choice between which service they want to use!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here is an idea

1) Users don't get choices.

2) This is Apple. See 1.

3) The Apple Experience. See 1.

Now...Jokes aside.

To my understanding this only applies to their photo app. Which will hook into their back-end for locational data. I don't think are getting rid of Google Maps, and as far as I know Apple doesn't sell a navigation service yet.

18. Tom 7

I look forward

to 'crowdsourcing' my own Lake Wobegon of peace and quiet inaccessible to any idiot that cant map read.

19. The Axe

GIGO

Look, Google got nearly all their mapping data from elsewhere. So if the original data is crap, then Google will just show crap too.

As to whether they get round and fix it. They will do eventually. I doubt that Google will have the thousands of support workers needed to handle the tons of fixes and tweaks and updates that need to be handled all over the world. Are they ignoring you, the small little person asking for the street in your poxy little village to be fixed? Probably. Because they have loads of other work to do and prioritise.

1. Charles 9

Re: GIGO

They ORIGINALLY got their mapping data from elsewhere. Then came their Street View project, which saw fleets of Google cars literally travel the country with scanners and cameras on full. Now they have their own homegrown pool of street data to draw on. That's why they dropped the third party around 2 1/2 years ago and used their own data instead.

20. IGnatius T Foobar
    Thumb Down

Give it up already

Give it up already. Apple should simply sh*tcan its iOS and install the vastly superior Android operating system on its iPhones, iPads, iWhatever.

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. davemcwish
    Coat

Typical Apple

The only reason they're doing this is that it's free; they've also been ungracious and not acknowledge the source

http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/03/08/welcome-apple/

Mine the one with the Garmin 550 OSM maps that are properly credited

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh

Fuck apple, now there will be more bandwidth for Android.

Good riddance assholes.

24. Framitz

Works for me

Google maps and navigation is more accurate than my Garmin GPS when it comes to directions.

Never any issue with errors in SoCal. The Garmin sometimes runs me around inefficiently while Navigation on Android takes the most efficient route every time.

I could care less what Apple does or does not do.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The OSM data – after a quick massage by Apple – is displayed when users use iPhoto’s “locate” feature to display where the photo was shot. According to the OSM Foundation, Apple has taken a data set from 2010, which it is serving from its own infrastructure."

Great service from Apple.

Oi, iPhone owner! Buy a decent phone!

26. Chezstar
    Joke

Email From The Late Jobs

Just change the name of the town.

See? It still works! All hail Jobs!

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Excellent Stuff

I don't want people using my road as a rat-run, i'm off to OSM to change it into a dead end road, that will at least stop Apple users using it...

Really Apple, using what accounts to basically a user editable Wiki for your mapping solution? Truly pathetic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like