back to article IBM shines light on terabit-per-second optical chip

Need to get a lot of data - and I mean a lot of data - around your system? Look no further than this new chip from IBM: a part capable of shifting one trillion bits every second. It's only a prototype, of course, but the part Big Blue marketing bods are calling the Holey Optochip can, claim the companies' spin merchants, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

"transfer 30,000 HD movies a minute "

And then have the movie industry demand that you personally check each one to make certain it's not violating their copyright.

2. drunk.smile

Holey Optochip Batman

3. asdf
    WTF?

90nm?

90nm, what is this 2004? Yes I know this is a specialty chip. Guess it still beats the days when circuit size was measured in microns.

4. dlc.usa
    Boffin

Full Cycle

I always thought it was a little odd that IBM abandoned its 8 parallel copper data channels (the Bus and Tag cables, each 2+ cm in diameter) for a single fiber channel even though the fiber was superior in every way. So they are finally coming back to parallel throughput at fiber speeds. I wonder if slew varience is still a problem.

5. Muckminded

Will it fit in my iPad !3

so I can spellcheck the hell out of some Word documents through OnLive's Windows Dig Dug technology.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"transfer 30,000 HD movies a minute"

Right, time to seriously upgrade my storage solution then....... anyone got a couple of million they can lend me?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like