back to article SECRET of the flashing Amazon jungle Drobo EXPLAINED

Drobo, the stylish desktop and small rackable storage box supplier, is finally adding flash drives to its rack-mounted box plus Amazon cloud storage for backup. Drobo's B1200i 12-slot, iSCSI SAN product for small and medium business users was announced with SSD support in February 2011. Thirteen months later, it has arrived - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Parker

HOT VICAR bicycle THRUST elephant

Emmm... I take it this headline style is now compulsory at El Reg, and you get extra points for making them totally un-connected to the article ?

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Will SSDs come to desktop Drobos?

Desktop Drobos are much slower than the spinning disks inside them. The only reason to put SSDs in them would be to lower your electric bill. Automatic cloud backup would be very nice.

1. gimpbully

Re: Will SSDs come to desktop Drobos?

These are a completely different product from the desktop line. These feature things like tiering where SSDs most certainly do improve performance.

2. gimpbully

Re: Will SSDs come to desktop Drobos?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of drobo or their trashy algorithms, but they're making SSDs available in their high-end line, not the desktop line. The high-end line has tiering and would likely benefit quite a bit from SSDs.

3. Tom 38

I know several people who will not touch OCZ SSDs for enterprise work - apparently very shaky.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drobo kit is way over-priced, poorly featured, and of doubtful reliability and support.

Better to build your own kit running FreeNAS and drives which don't have issues e.g. the Crucial M4 ones.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like