back to article Hands on with the Apple iPad 3

Last night, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed the company’s latest tablet. It’s the new iPad, folks. And this year it’s just called "the new iPad", not iPad 3 or iPad HD. To some, it means that 2011’s model, the iPad 2, sounds newer than the latest, 2012 one. But more important than the name, should you buy one? Apple iPad 3 aka new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a second

El Reg got an invite to an Apple launch event? Did Hell also freeze over while I wasn't looking?

1. Daf L

Re: Just a second

I don't think he is an Reg journalist - they use freelancers as well.

2. Dave 126

All good-

- especially the price of the existing iPad 2 now at £330... this can only exert pressure on competitors to reduce their prices, poor dears!

------

Now, how about a screen like that on a laptop? Or being able to use a tablet as a auxiliary monitor? I would imagine it would be easier for Apple to do that, since they have control over the hardware and OS of both the iPad and (i)Mac(book), and thus offer their potential customers a feature that their competitors can't.

SJ was right- using a vertical touchscreen sounds tiring- but using a horizontal secondary touchscreen to keep, say, Photoshop toolbars on would be good.

1. 1Rafayal

Re: All good-

iDisplay on Android allows you to use your Android tablet as an auxiliary monitor.

Given the name of the app, I would assume its on the Apple AppStore as well?

2. stucs201

Re: Laptop, auxilary monitor

Or a desktop monitor.

As for the aux display the feature all tablets lack and the one that will persuade me to buy one is HDMI *input*. Software solutions is fine for a computer, but I'd like to use it with any arbitary device with video output but only a tiny screen.

3. Station Grey

Re: All good-

There are several apps available that let you use the iPad/iPhone as an auxiliary monitor, and have been for a few years. They work over wi-fi and work well. Not fast enough refresh for gaming but entirely usable for working on.

Air Display, iDisplay, Spashtop XDisplay, DisplayLink, iScreen and others. Essential for app design are also more specific apps like XScope that will let you view a fixed portion of your desktop display on the device even as you move your (Photoshop etc) document around the screen so you can see how it will look on the device.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"Note that there’s no flash on this camera, so deploying it for stills or video is best suited to brightly lit situations."

A flash? You mean a LED lamp - and think it would help? Unless it has a magnificent Xenon flash, you better bring along a proper camera instead of relying on that toy most phones and tablets are equipped with today. Even at 5MP, the iPad 3's camera is best suited for the quick snaps people post on their Facebook walls.

1. Patrick R
      Headmaster

so "no LED lamp".

but still no flash, the the author is right.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The new iPad...

<s>Magical and r</s>evolutionary.

5. JDX Gold badge

2X the GPU power but 4X the pixels?

1. Volker Hett

2x the CPU Power and a spanking new quad core GPU with many times the pixel shifting power the predecessor has.

1. sabroni Silver badge

many times? Can you qualify that with an actual number or did it come straight from some apple marketing info?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. JDX Gold badge

From the article...

>>but it has twice the graphics performance of the iPad 2, I'm told

Since it's still dual-core CPU I doubt the CPU is much faster

1. KroSha

Based on the keynote, the CPU is a dual core A5, but with a quad core GPU, hence the name A5X(treme). The graphic performance is listed as being twice that of the A5 chip in the iPad2 and 4x that of the Nvidea Tegra3. http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/applemarch7grahd.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

and Last week, Huawei announced a Quad-core CPU (also an A9 i think it was just like the new apple , not the newer A15) with a Sixteen-core GPU

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

non standard Apple 2048 x 1536 V a real Samsung WQXGA panel at 2560 x 1600, no contest

"2x the CPU Power and a spanking new quad core GPU with many times the pixel shifting power the predecessor has."

err what, you really want the non standard Apple limited supply of 2048 x 1536 iPad 3 when you can have a real spported Samsung WQXGA panel at 2560 x 1600 plus a potential Samsung Mobile Memory with "Wide" I/O Interface at The new 12.8GB/s, notice how apple dont say how slow their total ram bus is, interesting.

and more to the point why would you want a lesser apple PowerVR SGX543 and old dual A9 when you can have the newer TI OMAP5 ARM Cortex-A15x2 and pair of M4 companion core CPU's and the PowerVR SGX 544 and the bigger standard 2560 x 1600 panel to boot in 2012 for the same or perhaps even lower price.

1. RegKees

Re: non standard Apple 2048 x 1536 V a real Samsung WQXGA panel at 2560 x 1600, no contest

"and more to the point why would you want a lesser apple PowerVR SGX543 and old dual A9 when you can have the newer TI OMAP5 ARM Cortex-A15x2 and pair of M4 companion core CPU's and the PowerVR SGX 544 and the bigger standard 2560 x 1600 panel to boot in 2012 for the same or perhaps even lower price."

I guess it helps you'll be able to buy one next week.

But mostly, because non of that interest 95% of the iPad crowd. It's like Rolls Royce, when asked about how much horsepower the Phantom has, answering "adequate".

These new iPad specs guarantee the same smooth performance of the iPad 2 at the increased resolution. This is true for every new iPad you get.

With Android, you have to get into all these uninteresting (to non-reg readers) details about cpu and gpu and what not because if it's too low, Android will run like a dog (not to mention, Android itself maybe hopelessly outdated)

Buy a new iPad, and the performance is smooth. Get a Tabloid, and it's hit and miss, unless you actually want to care about specs on a device like this. (Trust me, most people do not)

1. The Baron
            Happy

Re: non standard Apple 2048 x 1536 V a real Samsung WQXGA panel at 2560 x 1600, no contest

Rolls-Royces are supplied with "sufficient" horsepower, dear chap. "Adequate" horsepower sounds somehow... inadequate.

1. hplasm
              Meh

True.

Perhaps Adequate is adequate for Apple?

2. Alex Rose

The point isn't the specs, it's what you can do with it. Until I bought my wife an iPad2 I'd forgotten that rather salient fact.

The history of IT is littered with examples of architectures/systems that were technically superior but came in in second place. If you look at Windows 3.1 there were a number of superior windowing systems around, similarly x86 architecture was not the best around at the time of the IBM PCs rise to dominance. Hell, think VHS/Betamax if you want another example.

The point isn't what the numbers say, it's what you can do with your new piece of equipment quickly and easily - much as it pains me, as a die-hard Linux and Android fan, to say it the Apple ecosystem allows the average Joe to achieve results quickly and easily.

So I suppose the answer to why you would want an Apple machine of power "x" when you could have an Android tablet of power "2x" for the same amount of money is that you are not a geek.

1. Jon B

The point isn't the specs, it's what you can do with it. Until I bought my wife an iPad2 I'd forgotten that rather salient fact.

fnaar fnaar

6. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Connectivity

Can you connect a camera or card reader? If you could, this would be a great addition to the pro shooter's backpack, allowing you to preview your shots on a large screen.

1. Chris 3

Re: Connectivity

Yup - £25 extra for the connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Though according to the reviews alongside several people have complained that it doesn't deliver sufficient power to work with all cards.

And that it doesn't work with some cameras such as Canon EOS.

1. Paul Docherty
          Go

I can't speak authoritatively here - just give my experience. I've got an iPad 2 with the Camera connection kit, and use it frequently with my Canon EOS 5D mk1 and EOS 400D. Direct connection to the cameras works reasonably well, but connecting the iPad to a Belkin CF card reader gives a speedier and happier experience.

Having to pay for the Camera Connection Kit is annoying, but it does work rather well. At one point, I mislaid it, and bought a 3rd-party knock-off adaptor. This was worse than useless, as it very rarely worked, and once corrupted the contents of the CF card.

I have to say I'm looking forward to trying the combination of the Canon 5D and iPhoto when on a shoot...

2. Station Grey

Works perfectly well with the several EOS cameras I've tried with it, as well as others I've used. Not heard of anything that doesn't work and not seen this myself. It uses either SD cards or USB so that covers every camera in one or two ways.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"And that it doesn't work with some cameras such as Canon EOS"

I heard similar but I thought it was a resolution thing. the iPad they say can handle images up to 19 Mega Pixels, but Canon's Pro full frame shooter (forget the model number) generates 24 Mpx?

I can't see why it wouldn't work with a card from any other EOS?

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>And that it doesn't work with some cameras such as Canon EOS.

I'd better stop using it with mine then.

Oh wait, you're wrong, I can carry on.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Yes, even the MK1 iPad can do that.

You can plug in a USB adaptor or an SD card. Even works with SLRs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can buy a 5-in-1 card reader for the iPad for £2.99 delivered on EBay.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is at least one app which I think is associated with an eye-fi card that lets you send pictures directly to the iPad.

7. boatman

eye strain

"Text is super-sharp, the jagged edges of letters quite invisible. It stops reading e-books being the strain on the eyes"

So eye strain is not caused by backlit displays but by low resolution text. better tell all the kindle owners they wasted there money

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: better tell all the kindle owners they wasted there money

OK.

"Hey, all you Kindle owners - you wasted your money!"

You're welcome.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: better tell all the kindle owners they wasted there money

Thumbs down? That's what you get for trying to be helpful.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: eye strain

There are many factors behind eye strain, but the common one for backlit displays is due to poor PWM regulation of the backlight source - if the PWM frequency is too low the resulting flicker causes such problems.

Doesn't seem to be an issue for high frequency, more expensive, PWM designs.

There's another theory that says backlit displays affect the sleep cycle, but I don't think that's a proven fact yet.

Resolution is obviously also another factor, which this display addresses.

3. Eddie Edwards

Well I use a backlit display 8-10 hours per day, 5 days per week, and don't suffer from eyestrain.

Read a PDF on an iPhone 3GS in vertical mode and I do.

So yes, resolution matters, and backlighting doesn't, so far as I can tell, from personal experience.

Is there some Kindle marketing meme that says this isn't true?

1. SkippyBing

On the flip side, I get a headache if I use a monitor for ~8 hours a day but not if I read my Kindle for that length of time, generally on a long haul flight.

If I've got a headache after using a monitor for an extended period it goes away if I then use my Kindle. I mean I'm not saying it cures the headache, but it doesn't effect the recovery. My eyesight's fine incidentally, it gets checked annually.

4. DrBobK

Does the new iPad fit in the pocket of a ski-jacket?

5. ThomH

Backlit screens have to compete with all other light sources and so perform worse as ambient lighting increases. Electronic ink screens reflect light and so perform better as ambient lighting increases. If you like to read outdoors that's a big win for the Kindle crowd.

And, yes, I have one of each.

8. Andrew James

I dont understand the reduced iPad 2 pricing. £70 cheaper, great. But for "only" and extra £70 you can get the better model, so who is going to buy the iPad2 from Apple?

If they'd reduced it to under £300, maybe £279, then they'd probably shift some volume but at £330 all they are doing showing people they might as well have the newest model.

1. Jonathon Green

Andrew James: "But for "only" an extra £70 you can get the better model, so who is going to buy the iPad2 from Apple?"

People who are buying a couple of dozen? I gather iThingies are starting to gain traction in business and education so while I agree that an extra £70 for 1 looks like a no-brainer, £700 for 10, let alone £700 for a hundred[1] might look a little a more compelling...

[1] OK, you're proabably into volume pricing there but a modest premium on single units starts looking like a worthwhile saving as the numbers mount up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

volume pricing?

I've wondered about this a few times - is it actually possible to get volume pricing discounts on iPads, and are they significant?

I've always suspected that since Apple seem to be able to sell as many as they can make, there are no substitutes (Android tab? really?), and the margins are small there wouldn't be much to play for.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

It's actually a good plan, between £329 for an iPad or £299 for a competitor people I think many will go for the former, however by then - having crossed the £300 mental barrier - the 3rd generation will seem like a good deal. Think of the £329 iPad as a door into the £250-300 market.

That said if you're a company buying iPads for stuff like point-of-sale (like Square is doing) you don't need the display or camera, so the £70 is a nice saving.

1. Andrew James

But at higher volumes you're getting a £7k saving for 100 units. But if you need 1 unit or 100 units, you still justify whether that £70 per unit is worth it for the use of it. If the extra screen resolution etc is worth it, you pay the extra. You dont just say "ah but we can save £7k by buying the cheaper option" regardless of whether it meets your needs as well as the more expensive item.

Eg. If you're using them as some sort of up-market Argos ish catalogue stock checker, you need to decide whether your customers will appreciate you presenting them with the cheap option, or whether they would rather the better one. Would a cheap option ultimately tarnish your reputation, etc.

The point is valid in, say, a school though, where its just a matter of "do we need 10 ipads, yes, ok lets get some, the iPad2 is only £330 now, saving us £700, so we can get 12 instead of 10".

Seriously though, i really do think the open door to the £250 market is still a case of "well i can save a bit more and get the ipad" and once you have the £330 most people will just save a bit more and get the newer one. Else you might as well buy one off ebay for £280 or something.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

They still have to make money on the thing. They would ship billions if it cost £1.

4. Lui-g

For £329 it's arguably great value, a talking point, and presses enough on the competition.

I don't think they have a problem with volume shifting - these will sell fine - and if the iPad 2 was £279 or even £300, they would sell less "the new iPad"s which would not make any sense. By making it close, they make more money on iPad 2 sales as well as push those who can afford it to the latest and greatest (, and don't annoy existing iPad2 owners too much; and don't set a precedent big price drop on previous generation gear that would cause people to always wait for the next generation before buying).

It's all very clever and, whilst the magic still works, very lucrative.

It worked for me - my the new iPad which will replace the original iPad is pre-ordered.

1. Andrew James

Right, 8" 1024x768 iPad with 8gb storage for £279 then.

5. aThingOrTwo

Education

The iPad 2 is targeted largely at education.

6. slhilly

That's the way Apple pricing has always worked, IME: the entry level is a bit cheaper than the next level up, but not massively cheaper, so that you are genuinely torn about whether to step up. The same philosophy applies throughout the range

9. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"if you get a word wrong"

Don't you mean, if Siri gets a word wrong? Are you on our side or on Apple's?

Owner of a Scottish accent, but rhyming "a" with "toupee" and "the" with "Dundee" for speech recognition purposes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: rhyming "a" with "toupee"

Does that mean that you pronounce, "hell to pay" as "hell to poupee"? That must play havoc with popular song lyrics:

Though Oupeepril showers,

Moupee come your woupee,

They bring the flowers,

Thoupeet bloom in Moupee.

Come to think of it, that's probably a Eurovision contender.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "if you get a word wrong"

"Owner of a Scottish accent, but rhyming "a" with "toupee" and "the" with "Dundee" for speech recognition purposes."

Reminds me of a family acquaintance who made jewelery saying how she'd taken an order for some item which had an intial letter on it from someone in Scotland. Conversation had gone something like

"What letter do you want on it"

"I'd like an ee"

"Ok, E for Elephant"

"No, no, ee for eepple"

10. Archibald Trumpetbeetle

> It stops reading e-books being the strain on the eyes viewing iBooks on the iPad and iPad 2 was.

This sentence troubled me greatly. I think the "It stops the reading of ebooks being..." or even "It stops e-book reading being..." would be better.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The New iPad in Just 1 paragraph.

Like an “ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity 700″, but heavier, thicker, lower resolution cameras, half the CPU cores, less ports and storage, no netbook capability, smaller screen, less battery life, tied to iTunes and everything else Apple and likely to be more expensive.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-competition-specs/

So, no you shouldn't buy one, unless you are already locked into Apple and have no choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The New iPad in Just 1 paragraph.

"Less battery life" is completely wrong, the iPad has almost double the battery of the Infinity (which btw is only vapourware at this stage)

If you mean battery after attaching the optional Transformer expansion, but then you can also attach external batteries to the iPad.

Pricing on the Infinity is also unknown, but given the Transformer Prime went on sale for £500 only two months ago, will the Ininity now show up at the same price but with much better specs? Don't think so.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You may have noticed, based on the iPhone 4S experience, that end users don't care about specs - they care about quality of experience and ease of use.

I've played with some very high spec Android phones that ran like dogs.

3. Steve Todd
      Stop

You seem to be labouring under some misapprehensions.

The Infinity screen is a 10.1" 16:9 ratio screen that works out smaller than the 9.7" 4:3 screen of the iPad. You're looking at a diagonal measurement, less square = less area.

The Tegra 3 that also powers the Transformer Prime is only slightly faster at tasks like web browsing than the current iPad 2, and is slower at graphics intensive tasks like OpenGL. Chances are that Apple have at least reved the clock speed of the CPU cores in the A5X so expect the wins that it does have to be reversed.

The Infinity only gets more battery life than the iPad when the keyboard is attached, at which point it becomes thicker and heavier than the iPad.

iTunes hasn't been required since the release of iOS 5. You can work completely without it.

There's no pricing or precise availability for the infinity, so any guesses on your part as to it's price are just that. The iPad has both.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seems like you have lapped up the Apple marketing, just as much as the idiots that believe the iPad3 is 4x quicker than a Tegra3 (in Apple's own tests, sequence shortended, we reserve the right to choose which tests etc etc).

"iTunes hasn't been required since the release of iOS 5. You can work completely without it."

Yeh right....

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62322&start=45

1. Steve Todd
          Stop

@AC 22:33

I've lapped up some independent reviews of the Transformer Prime. They put browser performance as slightly faster than the iPad 2 (for example sunspider results of 1685ms vs 1808ms, or about 7% faster) while being slower when running OpenGL (GLBenchmark 2.1 Egypt scores of 6897 vs 9827, or 40% slower for the Prime). The PowerVR SGX543MP2 in the old A5 chip still seriously out horsepowers the Tergra 3 GPU.

iTunes not required? You can buy an iPad, set it up, upgrade the OS, read/send emails, browse the web, buy apps (many of which are free), watch video and listen to music without ever connecting or synching it to a PC. I've no idea why you posted that link, its about people complaining about a third party PC music management app not synching properly with iOS. It doesn't change any of the above.

4. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Let me start by saying I have no dog in this fight and am rather thinking of getting a transformer prime myself, but really??

Firstly, you're comparing an existing product with an announced-but-still-not-finalised product. Comparing iPad3 to a real product, the Transformer Prime, the iPad is indeed thicker and heavier, and has less ports and storage. Screen size is almost the same, but iPad resolution is twice as good. The cameras are comparable (5MP with full HD video capability). The number of cores is a non-issue compared to how capable they are. In theory according to what I've seen on a couple other review sites, the apple 2-core CPU + quad-core GPU is twice as capable as the Tegra 3 chipset in the Prime. Seeing that it has to drive twice the resolution in 2 directions, it's probable that real-world performance is similair. Since both can play full HD movies at full frame rate, there is no practical difference. The Prime does have the keyboard dock which gives additional functionality, ports and battery life, BUT the version with the dock is MORE expensive than the iPad with comparable storage. The Prime does not have 4G or even 3G capability at all. Lock-in could be a concern, but really I can transfer songs etc from my existing collection or that I get from somewhere else, and copy to iPad, I don't have to be locked in to anything I don't want to. Apple store also has significantly more apps available, although again, real-world, the chances are that the vast majority of apps I will ever want to run will be available on both.

The Infinity will have an improved screen over the Prime (still won't be as good as the iPad's although probably near enough as to hardly make any real-world difference), and improved chipset that will enable it to drive the higher res screen (again I doubt real-world difference will exist, both will be super-fast). It will also feature 4G and a couple more upgrades from the Prime, however since the Prime is a fairly recent model, there's no way in hell that Asus will sell the Infinity at the same price as the Prime.

Bottom line, Prime vs iPad 2, I'd take the Prime. Prime vs iPad 3 depends on balance of tastes / use requirements. Infinity vs iPad will be a lot closer to Infinity win, but will also depend on pricing of the Infinity.

12. leon clarke
    FAIL

Performance

Presumably existing games will run at old resolutions and upscale, meaning that the performace test in the review probably didn't test whether there's a problem with doubling the GPU speed and quadrupling the pixel count.

13. Syd

Does dictation require an internet connection?

(Asked in the other thread and didn't get an answer there!)

1. Craig 12

Re: Does dictation require an internet connection?

I read on engadget, "yes".

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay okay

If it was running android, had a penta-core chip, was made by Asus AND you paid me, I'd probably be ok with it....

15. Monty Burns
    WTF?

Seriously?

"If you haven’t had a tablet computer before, this looks like it is head and shoulders above the competition"

Yeah, ok. Think that just about proves that your biased.

Don't think i'll be trading in my Series 7 Slate to get one ;)

1. TangD

Re: Seriously?

I see what went wrong here

"If you haven’t had a tablet computer before..."

So a Slate is a what? Even if it is a somewhat different target demographic

1. Monty Burns

Then your looking in the wrong direction.

The comment by the reviewer was clearly aimed at stating "this is the best, nothing else compares" when in fact as usual, its not. It has elements (screen) that could be judged to be the best but overall, its not the best for everyone (and that includes people who haven't owned one before).

Its FAR from being "head and shoulders above" all the others - and thats regardless of owning any form of tablet before. "head and sholders above" would be superiour in most if not all, and its clearly not.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahh, so anyone who doesn't agree with your poor choices is biased.

1. Monty Burns

See there ya go, fanboi attack ... unable to see past his nose.

No, my choice is perfect for ME, i use it at work as a laptop (well, it is!), its not perfect for everyone and nor do I claim it stands "head and shoulders" above everything else in a tablet format.... But this journalist claims the next iPad does when it clearly doesn't. It would be crap for me in the office for example as a MAIN pc.

I doubt you'll be able to read this though, the blinkers won't let you, so i'm probably talking to myself.

16. technohead95

Retina display??

You gotta love the Apple marketing. 264dpi is now a retina display, where as it was 326dpi for the iPhone 4/4S.

1. Station Grey

Re: Retina display??

They did explicitly point out that the 'retina' aspect is a subjective one and dependent on your eye's distance from the screen. From 12" away it's still 'retina'.

TBH, the whole 'retina' naming is slightly childish I think. I know what resolution means and I know what pixels are. 2048x1536 is a lot and plenty whatever way you look at it :) I don't care what it's branded as.

1. ed2020

In that case *all* screens are "retina" - you just need to be far enough away from them. It's utterly meaningless marketting.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Absolutely, if you're stupidly nit-picking. If you have a bit of common sense though, you measure it at the distance a device is commonly used at:

Phone: held up close to your face

Tablet: Held lower, or on your lap

Computer: Couple of feet away on a desk

So a computer needs lower PPI than a tablet, while a phone needs higher PPI. Got that?

1. Monty Burns

At what point does it not become "retina"? When its held 12", 13", 20", 500 miles?

You can't have it both ways. "Retina" is being used as a standard one way or the other.

My 120" 1080p projector can now be classed as "Retina" when its viewed from 100 feet away. Mind you, this is only a name, so I'm going to tell everyone my PJ puts out an image so clear, I'm going to call it "Hubble Vision".

1. popper

"Retina" is being used as a standard one way or the other."

im sorry but its not "a standard" as in "industry standard" its a description of a device that is in prototype in some medical devices today....the most exact description to date is this

"A virtual retinal display (VRD), also known as a retinal scan display (RSD) or retinal projector (RP), is a display technology that draws a raster display (like a television) directly onto the retina of the eye. The user sees what appears to be a conventional display floating in space in front of them. "

the key being draws a raster display <b>directly</b> onto the retina of the eye. as opposed to reflecting light off an object or screen, apples false "retinal display" description PR does NOT make their display device a REAL retinal display.

2. ed2020

My tablet in my lap is a couple of feet away. My phone is usually held ~2 feet from my face. So no, sorry, I haven't "got that".

2. petur
        Boffin

My parents (properly) tought me to keep reading material at 30+cm, keeping my touchpad at this proper distance, I don't see individual pixels.

The higher resolution may be handy to vnc into my desktop, but then a tablet is really not nice to seriously do remote work anyway

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The definition of "Retina Display" depends on the distance the device is held away from the eyes.

A 9" tablet is held further away than a 3.5" phone, therefore pixels can be bigger and still be "invisible".

17. Winkypop Silver badge
    Go

Want, new, shiny, thing!

Sorry, I have been turned.

What?

No apple icon?

<-- this is close I guess.

1. ratfox
      Gimp

Apple icon

This is the one you are looking for, I think. Seriously, I think that is the idea.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ports?

Far be it from me to outline what a review should include, but a quick look round the back of the machine is common practice, since we can't see it from here.

So, is there a USB socket, for memory sticks, real keyboards etc? - even for charging the thing.

Is there an SD card socket of any kind, like as are used on cameras?

Is there a headphone socket? 3.5mm seems to be the commonly adopted standard

Is there a charger socket?

(I am not a practising homosexual, but I am considering purchasing one of these things, for a friend... )

1. jubtastic1
      Trollface

Re: Ports?

Dear Sir,

Allow me to assist you with your easily googled queries.

The back of the new iPad is encased in aluminium, sculpted into two cheeks for a comfortable and slightly arousing grip, unbroken by ports it sports a recessed apple logo where the goatse would lie.

There are no USB sockets on the new iPad, it is therefore unpossible to connect any sort of peripheral, charging is accomplished by shaking the device in a rhythmic fashion to activate the self winding mechanisms within.

Headphones may be attached to the new iPad via the industry standard quarter inch socket.

Finally, please be assured that in these enlightened times using an iPad is no more an indicator of your sexuality than sporting a moustache or joining the priesthood.

Yours Sincerely,

Jubtastic One

Sent from my iPad.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Earphones

One would be connecting earphones to a portable device usually, I would think.

A 1/4" socket? I don't think so - the device isn't thick enough to house one.

More likely a 3.5mm.

1. Andrew James

Re: Earphones

yeah, because the self winding mechanism was entirely authentic. Cretin. Sarcasm class missed i guess?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@ Andrew James

Steady on, just trying to give accurate advice to he who asked. I think insults are a little uncalled for.

1. Andrew James

Re: @ Andrew James

True. Cretin was a bit much. I retract that.

2. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Ports?

You are considering purchasing a practicing homosexual for a friend?

How kind!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bother rewviewing it? The party faithfull will still camp out for week at the store doors even if it were a complete turkey. Anyone with an eye on a new tablet and very little technical inclination or time will simply think TABLET=IPAD.

Apple have it sown up, which is all rather sad. However as they say, the higher they are the harder they fall.

20. ph0b0s

Love the comment-bombing

Love Apple fan comment -bombing / down vote bombing going on for any comment slightly negative to this new device.

The new IPad is a worthy upgrade with the HD screen, if you are already part of the Apple ecosystem or just want an Apple device. If not there are Android alternatives with HD screens waiting in the wings. As simple as that.

One thing I have to give Apple kudos for is getting to market with a high res screen first. When you consider that they don't make the screen, but buy them from competitors that have their own android tablets. It is impressive that they can buy them from competitors before those competitors can put them in their own tablets.....

1. Gordon 10

Re: Love the comment-bombing

Fact is there are NO competitors shipping hi res tabs and probably won't be for 2-3 months at best.

Some lucky pre-orders on the apple store last night will have theirs in their sweaty palms in a weeks time.

Major difference.

1. Monty Burns

@Gordon 10: Re: Love the comment-bombing

Yes, thats ALL that matters, the resolution. Nothing else. End of.

1. Gordon 10

Re: @Monty : Love the comment-bombing

The resolution was the only topic in the post I replied to feel free to widen the topic on another post.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. ph0b0s

@Gordon 10

You are right, for the impatient with no will power/ self control, there is a major difference.

For those who have 2 - 3 months patience there isn't.

As I said in my original post, kudos for Apple for getting this out before competitors.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Love the comment-bombing

You'll probably find the competition can't *afford* it. These screens must be hugely expensive - unless you're ordering 50 million or so. Only amazon is seriously past the million mark out of the competition, and they're doing budget rather than high-end.

If the competitors are ordering 1m or less, they'll be paying a lot more than apple. That gives them a choice of selling a very expensive device that makes the iPad look cheap, or selling an unprofitable device. There's not a good business choice in that selection.

21. Simon B
    WTF?

new, newer, even newer, newer newer?

Coming later in the year will be the newER ipad, and next year the EVEN newer ipad, and followig that is the NEWER newer ipad? Almost as bad as high speed USB, super speed USB and whatever they've callued USB3 !!

1. uhuznaa

Re: new, newer, even newer, newer newer?

"Coming later in the year will be the newER ipad, and next year the EVEN newer ipad, and followig that is the NEWER newer ipad?"

No, the new one will always be the new iPad and the old one the old iPad. Exactly like a new Macbook will be the "new Macbook" as long as it is the new one. What's so hard to get about that?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: new, newer, even newer, newer newer?

...and you'll have to go look at charts on Apple's website to try and figure out when your iPad was made so you know if it has some feature or supports some OS upgrade

Exactly like a MacBook

22. windywoo
    FAIL

Still better off with a netbook.

Cheaper, full keyboard, more storage, better multitasking, better connectivity to external devices, no reliance on iTunes or apple's services, better handling of multiple users.

People are essentially magpies, willing to pay through the nose for shiney effects.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still better off with a netbook.

Netbooks are also slow as hell, useless for gaming, comparatively bulky, and require a mouse to be half-way useful. Plus you have to deal with the ongoing chores of windows life: updates, virus scanners, and the occasional horror of an incompatible dll.

A tablet has its downsides, but it's preferable to a netbook for most people by a long way - maybe this is why tablet sales are rocketing and netbook sales are collapsing?

2. Andy Watt
      FAIL

Re: Still better off with a netbook.

Dear god, do netbook lovers still exist? I thought we were all post-PC now?

- Cheaper? But how's the build quality...

- Full keyboard? C'mon, there's cases, bluetooth keyboards... journalists are using these in the field now.

- Storage? What are you doing on this portable, on-the-go netbook that needs more than 16GB minimum (64GB max)? If it's doc production, etc then you don't need a terabyte in your bloody pocket

- Multitasking - fair point, but G33K - people don't care, and arguably on a small screen multitasking with a standard WIMP OS is a PITA (see previous poster comment re:mice

- External devices - this is a portable device... what do you need? You could argue the iPad has just enough external connectivity to do the job (esp with the kits). People aren't impressed with how many bloody USB ports something has, they don't view this device that way. You're comparing cox's pippins with oranges.

- As stated previously in this forum, there isn't a dependency on iTunes anymore and there hasn't been for an age. As for dependency on Apple services... not relevant, personal choice.

- Multiple users - this is a PERSONAL device. Why would it need multi user profiling?

You're better off with a netbook if you're a netbook lover and you hate iPads / Apple / etc etc. Otherwise, just accept the masses have spoken and your mini-laptop is doomed to obscurity.

23. JimM

Look forward to Samsung et al slashing prices to compete.

24. <spez>
    Thumb Down

nice display....

... for showing of an old and tired looking OS.

Big resolution but still a 4 x 4 grid array, gonna keep my ICS TF101 thanks.

yep... I know fandroid here but i am wrong in thinking iOS needs a function/GUI update?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: old and tired comments

@<spez>: "...still a 4 x 4 grid array..."

Which reveals how closely you've looked at an iPad - perhaps never. Look up a photo and count the array dimensions (not just the number of icons displayed in the photo). Is that what counts for advanced and/or cool in the Android world - the number of icons you can cram on a screen? Are you also bored with the fact that after millennia we still enter buildings through doors? Most people feel there's little point in changing something that performs a basic function really well.

iOS is barely 5 years old, and there's been 5 new versions since then. The most recent, iOS 5, is only 5 months old. Seems well updated to me - loads of good functionality with each release too.

1. <spez>

Well the missus has the ipad2 and recently went from a 3gs to a 4s and I feel it all looks ably antiquatedwith having to clickon one of the 16 icons to get ur news feed or tweets and emails, nice to turn on and have it presented to you on the screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The problem with ICS is that it is slow, buggey and has no Apps worth using written for it, so your missus has made the right choice twice in choosing an iPad 2 and iPhone 4s over a battery draining joke of an OS.

25. Natalie Gritpants

I can usually tell the temperature in a photo

just by looking at it. Clues like the amount of clothing being worn, sunshine, flowers, snow, rain, barbecues, the list is endless. If it's indoors, it's probably 18-20°C.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iOS 5 updates vs Android

One thing from Apple that I wish was in the Android world is being able to update the OS easily without jail-braking.

It's a pity that the overlays like HTC Sense seem to prohibit Google from pushing out security patches or entire system updates to any devices that are capable of running them. I'm not sure why a replacement launcher isn't just an app that can be uninstalled, along with all the facebook, twitter and stock ticker bloat-apps.

Perhaps when ICS is ubiquitous (or Jellybean, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Drizzle Cake etc) the overlays will die and we'll just be running the basic Android with a bunch of extra apps added by each builder along with the hardware specs and styling for differentiation.

1. Andrew James
      Facepalm

Re: iOS 5 updates vs Android

So what you're saying is down with differentiation, up with uniform OS.

You want an OS that can be updated easily with major upgrades or small security patches, at the time when they become available ... seems to me you're in the wrong camp if you're using Android.

2. Manu T

Re: iOS 5 updates vs Android

unfortunately I fear that will not happen. In Windows Phone this is the norm. HTC has it's Sense HUB as a separate app. But since Android is quite open manufacturers can bloat the OS as much as they (and in the US telco's as well) see fit. But indeed you have a point. In fact I said ages ago (when i stll was involved in Windows Mobile) that HTC (and Samsung too for that matter) are very stupid not to sell their UI-enhancements as seperate programs. They could create extra revenue. In fact there's SPB software who have their own UI-overlay for several platforms but I've got no idea how well it sells. Why don't El Reg review these things? I mean they could review all SPB-mobile desktops on several platforms and gives us an idea how well these run.

As it is now, I guess ppl will have to make a choice. A closed ecosystem completely sealed off from user intervention (iOS/WP7) or a bit more open (Android/Symbian) systems that users can adjust and personalise to their hearts content.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

It doesn't matter, but...

The extra thickness and weight doesn't matter at all, but if Steve Jobs were alive, he wouldn't have let it out of the lab until with was thinner and lighter.

Just sayin'

28. The Envoy
    Boffin

"Sure, it’s thicker by about HALF A MILLIMETRE, but it’s hard to spot this."

Correction:

Yes, a half a millimetre difference would be hard to spot. In reality it is 0.6 centimetre = 6 millimetres thicker.

1. Robocat
      Stop

Re: "Sure, it’s thicker by about HALF A MILLIMETRE, but it’s hard to spot this."

According to specs the new iPad is 0.6 mm (NOT 0.6 cm) thicker. The dimensions changed from 8.8 mm to 9.4 mm (9.4 mm - 8.8 mm = 0.6 mm; i.e. less than a millimetre in extra thickness).

29. PAW
    Happy

ipad what?

Hmm. This article and comments alerted me to the Transformer Prime. Thanks.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is all the fuss about?

Bought an iPad2 used it a while, then the novelty wore off and I went back to my trusty laptop. It sat on the shelf in my study for a couple of months, neglected and unloved, so I gave it to my son. He loved it - for a few weeks - but ended going back to his laptop.The iPad2 now sits gathering dust on a bookshelf in his flat. I wonder how many of these devices end up like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is all the fuss about?

No excuse for leaving it lying on a shelf if you're not using it; flog the damn thing. You've missed the boat if you wanted a good price.

I use mine every day as I potter around my flat; bog surfing/twitter on the shitter, etc., is a speciality. I tend to leave my laptop plugged in and charged so the iPad allows me to do basic email and browsing plus reading the paper(Times/Sunday Times App).

I have a 4S, iPad 2(3 on order) and a MacBook Air. Although that may sound like overkill, I find they each have very distinct and useful use cases. The iPad is a media consumption device par excellence in my view and the new one will be a huge advance when allied with my new Apple TV too. I don't consider myself a fanboi by any means it's just that Apple are making the best kit by a mile and I can afford the premium. I really do want to see an Android tablet overtaking the iPad 3 as the must-have device and it could be this new Prime but we'll just have to wait and see. I suspect the new 10" Amazon Android tablet will be a winner in the value for money stakes but the next must have tablet will likely be the first one to have a 10" OLED display. The question is: who will make it? Amazon, Apple, Asus, Samsung? Looking forward to finding out;).

31. Nick De Plume
    Meh

iPad 2s

Okkay, so the new iPad is the old iPad with a new screen and bumped up specs so it can keep up with the competition for one more year.

It has been a winning formula so far, so Apple hasn't changed much, it's the ipad2S. But even if this is faster than Tegra3, Tegra3 equipped competition is out today, and I'm sure faster stuff is just over the next hill.

The resolution is awesome, but it is also a case of massive overkill on a screen smaller than 10 inches. But Apple HAD TO quadruple the res, or lose acceptable backwards compatibility for existing app catalogue - Being resolution agnostic (or flexible) is not an iOS strong point.

So it is a refresh edition. Yawn. I think a design change would be in order too (or was Apple just too busy litigating?) -

- or who in the whole cafe will know you've got the newest pad of them all?

1. Andrew James

Re: iPad 2s

"- or who in the whole cafe will know you've got the newest pad of them all?"

Those close enough to see its .6mm thicker, or that it has 4x the sharpness on screen.

2. ThomH

Re: iPad 2s

The claim in the launch was that the iPad 2 remains faster than the Tegra 3; the new iPad is even faster still. I, probably like you and everyone else reading this, have never cared enough to bother seeking out an independent assessment.

But, yes, it's a product refresh. Like every other piece of consumer electronics you'll hear about this year, and probably all but one of those you've heard about in the last five.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"If you haven’t had a tablet computer before, this looks like it is head and shoulders above the competition" That definately needs jsutified!

Sorry but that is complete RUBBISH! A transformer Prime is better even without 3G.

If your a mug who believes everything you hear, buy one, else, dont watse your money because it has a shiny screen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like