back to article Facebook goes titsup in Europe

Facebook was hit by downtime this morning that affected some of its addicts in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The dominant social network declined to explain to The Register what had gone wrong, nor was it willing to reveal how many people were unable to access their accounts during the outage. “Today we experienced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simbu
    Happy

In other news...

European work productivity skyrockets!

Extra points if you recognise the irony of me posting this, and you reading it...

2. DJ 2
    Facepalm

Deffinatly DNS.

I did an NSLookup this morning, and it came back with "can't find facebook.com"

3. EddieD

Happened to me

Along with other oddities - I got and ABE exception from NoScript, and I've certainly not changed anything - it was unpingable, but m.facebook.com was fine. Hey-ho, I left 10 minutes earlier this morning.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

not so much titsup

as Faceplant?

5. Annihilator
    WTF?

"large part of its network" ... "exercise little control over these providers"

Seriously? Sounds like someone needs to look at their vendor management strategy...

6. Synonymous Howard

Hurrah!

More of the same please.

7. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Got me this morning also

Finland was out, too, at about 7:30 local time. (5:30 GMT). Okay when I tried it about 10-ish. No big deal.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It wasn't that many years ago since Facebook was routinely down with some fault of some kind.

All I can say is "Big wow".

9. ElNumbre
    Joke

Right When Tested...

Seemed okay for me.

If I was an Openreach engineer that would mean that nothing had been wrong with it. EVER.

10. slith
    IT Angle

DNS Issue

It was a DNS issue for sure, www.facebook.com did not resolve (m.facebook.com did resolve, though, that's why it would still work on mobiles). This is what I got at the time of the outage:

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. [198.41.0.4] ...took 25 ms

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at a.gtld-servers.net. [192.5.6.30] ...took 137 ms

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at ns1.facebook.com. [204.74.66.132] ...took 15 ms

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at glb1.facebook.com. [69.171.239.10]

Query timed out (interrupted after 1,999 milliseconds)

Retrying...

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at glb2.facebook.com. [69.171.255.10]

Retrying...

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at glb1.facebook.com. [69.171.239.10]

Query timed out (interrupted after 2,001 milliseconds)

Retrying...

Searching for www.facebook.com. A record at glb2.facebook.com. [69.171.255.10]

None of the nameservers responded correctly.

11. IGnatius T Foobar

more pls

I hope Facebook continues to have massive outages, all over the world. Facebook is the new evil empire, and must be destroyed.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS...

I recall a couple of weeks ago m.facebook.com returning "can't find m.facebook.com"...have they mixed things again? :-)

1. Suburban Inmate

Re: DNS...

I concurr.

It was playing up for me on Feb 25th as well as for a friend accross the pond. Some bollocks about failing to post stuff or register likes. I didnt bother investigating.

13. (AMPC) Anonymous and mostly paranoid coward
    Windows

Harrumph...

Couldn't have been down that long, my significant other didn't even mention it (here in France).

Maybe its some European initiative to get the economy working again? Vive l'EU!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plesk compromise botnt

There was a critical vulnerability to Parallels Plesk control panel that has been actively exploited last few days. I saw hundred of servers all running DDOS scripts that were attacking Facebook (also earlier in the day Clouflair). Obviously got Facebooks attention cos they emailed our NOC.

I have spoken to people at other hosting companies who confirmed they saw the same thing.

Seems too much like a coincidence for this not to be related.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like