back to article NHS strikes new deal with CSC for electronic patient records

CSC and the Department of Health look to have concluded negotiations around the future of its Lorenzo system in the NHS. A revised deal announced by CSC will see the US-based firm deliver additional implementations of the Lorenzo electronic patient records system beyond the 10 have already been rolled out, with "options for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    FAIL

What happened

to those responsible for agreeing the original deal. Are they sitting with their feet up in their agreeable French villa collecting a gold-plated pension paid for by the taxpayer? Have they joined the boards of the companies they gave the contracts to? Or are they now the head of the Civil Service, Mr Watmore?

Until there's some sense of responsibility and people held to account in our public services, these catastrophes will continue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sensitive and personal information held on UK citizens by HM gov should not be allowed anywhere near either the US or US-based companies until such time the US government stops showing an 'all your data are belong to us' sort of attitude.

What protections will exist to prevent the US government having access to this information?

3. sad_loser
    FAIL

Turkey

This turkey isn't going to fly.

I have been involved in testing one of the modules. Absolutely hopeless. Took >8 hours and still could not process the patient, crashed multiple times.

I would be very interested to see how this was spec'd because it doesn't bear any relationship to clinical practice.

They had an opportunity to kill this overblown vanity project and blew it.

They should be looking at what NZ have done - specify how stuff talks to each other and let the market sort it out.

utter utter mess.

1. Mitch Kent
      FAIL

Re: Turkey

"They should be looking at what NZ have done - specify how stuff talks to each other and let the market sort it out."

I seriously can't believe this isn't an obvious thing. Specify how they talk and then each node is a much smaller project, more manageable, and if one invariably fails it's much less of a big deal, can be rolled out into phases, some existing systems might only need translation/façades... Boggles the mind...

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      WTF?

Re: Turkey

"I have been involved in testing one of the modules. Absolutely hopeless. Took >8 hours and still could not process the patient, crashed multiple times."

That sounds like a module built from *scratch* by a new graduate.

Pathetic.

4. CaNsA

I wonder if a standard USB mouse will still cost the NHS approx. £35....

Yes, that's the approx. total cost for a replacement mouse in the NHS......

5. R J Tysoe
    Facepalm

"The letter of intent provides for an interim Lorenzo related standstill arrangement and contemplates that a mutual release of all accrued claims with respect to the Lorenzo deployments will be included as part of the interim agreement"

Well I'm glad they've cleared that up.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

catastrophes will continue?

No, the plan worked perfectly, get all our personal health information in to a convient electronic format with minimal protection systems and get the tax payer to foot the bill and then allow "third parties" to raid it.

I think the idea of a French villa is a little low budget for their pay off

8. sad_loser
    FAIL

This will not work

The Morcombe Bay implementation - the first full Lorenzo - has not gone live and from the testing phases the problems have been deep, most likely as a result of not having clinicians spec them properly.

This is not going to end happily.

9. Tzael
    Stop

Who cares if they make a profit? They should have delivered on the original contract, and they failed miserably. They should be paying the NHS for their failure, not the other way around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, this is a swindle.

>""The letter of intent [ . . . ] and contemplates that a mutual release of all accrued claims with respect to the Lorenzo deployments will be included as part of the interim agreement,"

In other words, the government intends to release them from all possible claims for damages, or to put it more bluntly, let them off the hook scot-free. They can't blame *that* on the previous government, that's their own fault for being spineless in the face of large corporate interests - a common and collective failure of all three main parties.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redundancy Still On

Even with the letter of intent CSC is still making 500 people redundant. Surely thats going to improve the profit margin

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like