back to article Bletchley Park gets personal with new Alan Turing exhibition

Letters, academic work and personal belongings of wartime codebreaker and computer pioneer Alan Turing, including a letter to his mother explaining his role in the outcome of World War II, went on display at Bletchley Park on Monday. James May cuts the ribbon on the new Alan Turing exhibition James May cuts the ribbon on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jeebus

Brilliant, the populace owe a large debt to the workers at Bletchley and owe a inconceivably large debt to Turing, remembering him for the genius and hard worker he was instead of the maltreatment that led to his death is a very good thing indeed.

2. Spider
    Pint

awesome

great place. well worth a few hours of your time. it's humbling to walk round the huts and imagine Turing and co at work. Not just Turing, but the entire staff deserved far better recognition for their sacrifices and efforts.

Recommend a visit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a Joke

These papers are not worth any where near as much as is publicized or as was paid. These papers are merely copies of papers that are held in the GCHQ museum. What Bletchley Park have effectively done is spend £220,000 on papers that according to the relevant experts in the field are only worth £6000 at the most. Whilst from what I understand they didn't spend their own money on it and the purchase was sponsored by an outside party, that money could have been put to something considerably more important (Preserving the buildings for instance) assuming the donor was willing.

Whilst Alan Turing was an interesting character who definitely deserves recognition, I do feel that other peoples efforts are significantly understated. I think that they focus on Alan Turing because of the awful things that happened to him due to his sexuality. Whilst I by no means agree with these things, they did happen to a considerable number of people and none of these get the recognition that he does.

1. Jeebus

Re: What a Joke

That kind of dimness can only come from someone who thinks they're educated.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Overpriced papers?

Do you have a link for the £6K estimated value?

4. Melanie Winiger
    Thumb Up

We are poor at recording History

I think us IT people are poor at recording (and learning from) History.

This exhibition looks great - I look forward to visiting next time I visit the Island (as us Swissies call you Brits :-))

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Men were real men in those days

This is proven by the fact that the Delilah speech scrambler shown in the picture was called "portable".

By implication, we assume women were real women, and small furry creatures from alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from alpha Centauri.

6. Stratman

There are much smaller speech scramblers available. My favourite comes in a bottle marked "The Black Stump"

1. min

talking of speech scramblers...

...i'm partial to a bit (ok, ok - a lot) that fine stuff called Hobgoblin, which is made not too far away from Bletchley...

i am looking forward to a visit to see this exhibition! thanks Reg for the reminder.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, I'll read that again...

Long sentences just getting too much for this old gummer. Read one section as:

"Lord Asa Briggs, a Bletchley Park codebreaker, told The Register that he had married his wife in 1955, but she didn't find out until 20 years later"

1. jukejoint
      Angel

Re: I'm sorry, I'll read that again...

I got married to someone in 2000 and still haven't found out who he is. I call him Enigma. We are very happy and at the height of our epitome.

This topic is closed for new posts.