back to article AOL pulls the plug on Brizzly

Popular social media client Brizzly will pull down the shutters on March 31st and is urging users to hurry up and download any pictures they stored with the service before that date. Brizzly came to prominence in 2009 at a Tech Crunch event. The next year AOL acquired it and said it had no intention of shuttering the service, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Roper

So

what happens in the future, when everyone's been using cloud storage for years and privately owned hard drives are just a fading memory, and one of these cloud companies decides to shut down in this manner?

All your data gets lost because you've nowhere to put it?

What this illustrates is just one of the perils of relying on cloud storage with no onsite backup.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Damn, I wasn't first to post a comment...

...and you've said exactly what I would have said - this, YET AGAIN, highlights the lurking dangers of relying upon "the Cloud".

That said, what sort of oddball (given the smallish size of photos and the cheapness of large capacity SD cards and/or DVD-R etc) would dump their photo collection onto a third party server *and* *then* *delete* *the* *originals*?!?

1. Roger Greenwood
        Go

Q. "what sort of oddball" ?

A. The same ones who assume that all computers are clever and will look after everything for them, as long as they are careful not to let the magic smoke get free.

There are also lots of new new idiots^H^H^H^H consumers being born every single day.

2. Wupspups

Re: Damn, I wasn't first to post a comment...

The sort of oddball that believes posting all their details on Facebook is perfectly safe. The sort of oddball that looks at you in blank amazement when you ask "You have a backup dont you?" In other words 90% of the population

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've an idea

Why don't AOL, a leading ISP, join forces with a movie company?

3. pierce

picture sizes?

smallish size?

my pictures run 18-20MB each for the raws from my camera, and I take 1000s sometimes. filling many gigabytes now, its becoming increasingly difficult to mirror my collection.

1. Jan Hargreaves

Re: picture sizes?

Delete the ones that are crap and the duplicates. Unless you intend on making your pictures into billboards then you would probably do well to compress most of the ones that you do keep.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: picture sizes?

I just got me a 2 Terabyte disk for picture backup, which should keep me in business for a while. I might put some stuff in cloud storage for cloud processing, or access when not at home, but I will certainly keep local backups.

Given the price of a NAS, you can store shed-loads at home for very little.

4. Jan Hargreaves

Who uses AIM? I thought it died years ago?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think what the Thing Labs team are saying is...

... 'don't worry folks, on the day our buyout-terms-mandated contractual tenures at AOL are up, we're straight out the door and then we'll be building something else.'

Which is good news if it's true; remember how AOL disillusioned JWZ so much that he walked out of the industry entirely.

6. Tezfair
    Facepalm

Brizzly

Never heard of it!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like