back to article AMD uncloaks (more) next-generation graphics cards

AMD has released a pair of new graphics cards based on its 28-nanometer "Graphics Core Next" (GCN) architecture, humbly dubbing them as being "engineered for supremacy." "The AMD Radeon HD 7800 series offers more than the just world's most advanced graphics," AMD's GPU Division headman said in a statement, "it offers the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sly
    Coat

But can it fold?

mine's the one with the nVidia shopping list in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SEP-->Someboody Elses Problen,

1. Charles 9

At least it's honest.

AMD knows the price they're quoting will probably only be possible on sites like Newegg. Best Buy and the other B&Ms will mark it up to allow for taxes and instant gratification. It's the tradeoff these days.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SEP -

Just another TLA.

1. Jock in a Frock
      Angel

But at least...

... it's not an EFLA (Extended Four Letter Abbreviation).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But at least...

Check you're spelling - its ETLA or sometimes XTLA for "extended three letter acronym"

1. dogged
          Headmaster

Re: But at least...

"Check you're spelling"? Go to the bottom of the class, boy.

Also, if you can't pronounce it, it is an abbreviation. Not an acronym. An acronym must be pronounceable as a word.

Here endeth the lesson.

4. Inachu

Grrrr

Again I'll have to wait 4 years before Best Buy will stock any of them and by the time they do they will be just $50 each.

1. JetSetJim
      Coat

Re: Grrrr

And it won't then run the latest edition of Crysis

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes but

Will they be available with the SeaMicro asic on board for building a creepy geepy seepee compute cluster?

6. Citizen Kaned

really?

considering overclockers only stock the 7970 and 7950 where do these show up as arent they older cards?

they might be the 'fastest cards' but if the drivers are shite then whats the point. never AMD again for me. they make great hardware but their driver guys suck, bigtime. a less powerful nvidia 99% of the time will get better results.

1. Simbu
      Stop

Re: really?

You're confusing 'drivers suck' with 'NVidia bung money to developers to optimise for GeForce'.

I expect AMD do it as well, it's just NVidia do it more.

1. Citizen Kaned

not really. i bought a top of the line AMD card last year. so many issues. the devs just run through simulations to see how the driver fare, nvidia actually seem to play the game and see the problem.

the same games and the nvidia outperformed the AMD card by some margin, even though it had a lower spec.

the game devs were banging their heads against the wall with AMD while nvidia bent over backwards with performance increases.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Must be just you, my 6870 runs everthing just fine, and far better visuals that my last nVidia card (though I will admit that quite a few years back).

2. CD001

I had no end of problems with stability when my machine was new - and it was the first ATI card I'd used for a long, long time ... and yup, I blamed the shonky ATI drivers as well, at first... until I tinkered with everything a bit to try and peg down the instability.

Wasn't actually ATIs fault at all but my own (or Overclockers, take your pick) the overclock on the CPU was just a wee bit too much too be really stable but it only showed up when being hammered by games... once I'd turned it down a bit everything was hunky-dory and my (now ageing) ATI card has taken everything I've thrown at it (including X3:AP).

Since AMD took over they seem to have been giving some love to the ATI drivers and Catalyst software - I'd say the choice between nVidia and AMD now can't be made entirely on driver/software stability.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should try pulling you head out of your backside and read the article.

Plus: ATI (AMD) drivers have been very good since a short time after AMD buying ATI, and the release of the HD3850 cards. The linux drivers took a little longer, but so what! It's not like there are any games on Linux that need state of the art gaming graphics cards.

1. Citizen Kaned

@"Perhaps you should try pulling you head out of your backside and read the article...."

another internet hard man hiding behind AC... how brave.

my last AMD card was a 6990 and it was shite for any opengl games. it was on a win7 machine. basically their drivers basically killed off the game Brink as many AMD users were getting worse FPS than with much older cards. in fact my nvidia 8800 outperformed it by some margin and that card was 5 years older. check the Brink forums and AMD responses to see how well they did.

it was all down to an apparent fudge of their opengl implementation, which nvidia were fine with.

1. Ammaross Danan
          Boffin

Sounds like there was more blame to lay at the feet of Brink developer than at AMD, considering they implemented it in OpenGL and screwed up their implementation of it at that. nVidia just needs the edge enough they're willing to fudge their drivers to work around flawed games.

7. Citizen Kaned

also...

SEP must be the USA subsidised price as the cards i see are more £ than the suggested $!

8. Giles Jones Gold badge

3D cards are looking more and more like a Dustbuster with every generation.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The differences between the two cards?

>"the 7870 has a GCN-based engine with 20 compute units and 80 texture units, while the 7850 has 16 compute units and 64 texture units. The other clear difference is in price: $349 for the 7870 and $249 for the 7850."

So, 40% more cost for only 25% more silicon? Huh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like