back to article Senator demands FTC iPhone, Android photo privacy probe

The Federal Trade Commission has been urged by a US senator to probe allegations that apps installed on Apple and Google Android mobile handsets slurp users' private photos and contacts without first gaining the consent of the customer. Reuters reported yesterday that Democrat Charles Schumer had been in touch with the FTC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now if we could only get the regulators and MPs in the UK similarly active in the areas of privacy. They could start with Bluecoat as well as getting the police to understand that RIPA *does* apply to web usage and then work their way up from there.

Unfortunately the ICO seem to be more busy being manipulated by the likes of the DCMS than actually doing their job and the police aren't much better either.

Independent regulator? Don't make me laugh...

http://users.livejournal.com/_paladine_/12240.html

1. LarsG

NOW AN IMPORTANT

Senator has taken up the case can we expect a probe into privacy?

I'm sure the millions and billions of lobby funds available between Apple AND Google will be sufficient to make this problem disappear.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternative title:

Senator reads Fark for a week and jumps on the Cause de Jour bandwagon for some free publicity

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two things:

1. What does he have on his iPhone/Android he's worried about?

and if the answer to 1. is nothing, then:

2. Is this purely an attempt to get his name in the press? Or does he seriously rate applications access to photos more sinister than malware encrypting entire user's documents and holding them to ransom? The installation of key loggers that steal as many passwords as possible? The hi-jacking of victims computers to send spam and launch DDoS attacks?

Politicians, singing to the plebs while never quite grasping the issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you think nothing of your privacy why are posting as AC?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you think nothing of your privacy why are posting as AC?"

Where do I say that? What I'm saying is this politician doesn't give two craps about privacy on your or anyone else's phone.

What he's doing is using a current news topic to try to gain favour, which is what my comment is saying, try reading it without your commentard rage inserting "I think nothing of my privacy".

My final point that seems to have eluded you, is that if this guy did care about privacy, he would be campaigning to get Windows & MacOS equally as "privacy friendly" as he expects the iPhone and Android phones - since Windows is far more compromised than either.

2. Tom 13
      Flame

Answer: It's Schmuckie Schumer,publicity hog, D, NY

He's more than happy to support actual wiretapping if it's Republicans planning strategy with cell phones, not so much when his petard is at risk for an app he installs.

4. Neil 34
    Black Helicopters

Chucky

It has been said the most dangerous place in Washington is between Chuck You Schumer and a TV camera.

1. Tom 13

Re: Chucky

I thought it was between McCain and a TV camera.

Though honestly, I wouldn't want to be caught between a TV camera and any pol or staffers pol in DC.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a guess

He found some evidence of sexting on the kids phone after reading of the photo exploits. Come on Chuck, they're all grown up now so stop snooping through their phones.

6. multipharious

Privacy Attitude in USA

If anyone really cared about privacy then why would Spokeo exist? USA has become the land of the opt out, and if you read the privacy statements of the likes of Spokeo it is basically, "What are you gonna do about it punk?" To remove your information you have to give an email address (a throwaway obviously.) That is just plain wrong.

Problem is really that this attitude is so pervasive and nobody seems to care. This extreme culture of Opt Out is just acceptable, and nobody challenges it...and over the years an attitude that fosters Spokeo's and Google's business models emerges that is adopted by developers in case they can cash in too. So the FTC needs to do something about it? I would say that the standard already exists. Snail Mail is private in its flimsy paper wrapper left in a box on the street right? But open mail sent with US Postal Service and it is a Federal crime. Go to jail. Enact laws that prohibit using people's information at all without their express approval, because it doesn't belong to you. End of story. Make companies realize that just because they can do something doesn't mean that they should.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Privacy Attitude in USA

Someone finally said it in plain Engrish.

I grovel at your feet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like