back to article Stinky alligator drama is App Store's 25 billionth download

More than 25 billion apps have been downloaded from Apple's App Store since 2008, the company announced today. A Chinese fan called Chunli Fu, of Qingdao, made the milestone download and earned a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card as a result. Fu picked up the free version of Where's My Water?, a game in which players have to help an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

the importance of cheap and cheerful games in the App Store

is it not more that, if you're hoping to snag the $10,000 gift card, you're going to be downloading app after app after app as it got closer to the 25billion mark, and so you're obviously going to be restricting yourself to downloading free apps instead of paid ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the importance of cheap and cheerful games in the App Store

With 40 million apps being downloaded daily by iOS users, that's 450 apps each second, no free app downloading one can make will make much difference in the final odds.

Apple also had a limit in the competition: "Limit: Regardless of which method of entry is used to enter the Promotion, only twenty-five (25) entries per person and/or iTunes account and/or email address, per day will be granted."

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

True, but it doesn't say how many people in his collective were assigned to downloading apps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It geo tags you when taking a dump, takes a secret picture, emails it to an ad agency, sends messages to high cost phone numbers, steals all your phone numbers and swamps your friends with spam ads, uses all you bandwidth to update it self, accesses your bank account for monthly payments.....

And YOU agreed to the permissions, that it didn't tell you it needed.

2. Shao

Sounds like its a girl

....someone that could do a spinning bird kick anyway!

3. Gerard Krupa

For $10,000

For $10,000 he could probably buy at least 3 or 4 TV series passes on iTunes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: For $10,000

He's in China, so probably already has them all on DVD.

4. Graham Bartlett

Stinky alligator?

I had to read this, just to find out if it was about the ones living in the sewers which come up the drainpipe and bite your bottom. (At least that's what I'll be telling my son if he starts spending too long sat on the crapper.)

5. Bumpy Cat
    Happy

Chunli!?!?

Why oh why couldn't it be Street Fighter instead of a stinky alligator app?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Congratulations, you've won $10,000 !!!

In vouchers.

For iTunes.

Ha ha ha ha. Poor sod.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't dismiss it that quickly, it's China after all

Psst.. I hear there are some poker apps on iOS and the payout isn't iTunes credits.. if you get what I'm saying.

After all $7K of the prize can go to developers, still plenty for those devs to take a commission and give a nice payout to this very lucky person.

1. Lance 3

Re: Don't dismiss it that quickly, it's China after all

That's if there are no T&C's that say otherwise. I would put it past Apple that they can offer incentives and when those incentives are redeemed they don't need to pay the developer. Hard to tell as you need to pay Apple $99 to read their T&C's for being a developer. How nice, they make $99 plus 30%.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Congratulations, you've won $10,000 !!!

yes the poor guy now having virtually unlimited credit on the platform he actually uses.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: Congratulations, you've won $10,000 !!!

"unlimited credit on the platform he actually uses."

probly has to use it in 6 months

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like