back to article i-mate denies putting itself on the market

Windows Mobile device manufacturer i-mate has denied rumours that the company is up for sale, but admits having a "strategic review" of the options given the lacklustre performance of the last 12 months. This morning the FT reported that i-mate was on the market following a profits warning from the company, attributed to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ryan

Correct me if I'm wrong...

but isn't i-mate a re-brander, not a manufacturer?

2. Stu
    Pirate

Not a manufacturer

Yep they mostly use HTC products, mostly (Newt in Aliens + the South Park parody of it).

iMate were in that stupid business position anyway, I got hold of all my HTC models over the years (cant remember the HTC 'codenames') via both Orange and T-Mobile for a fraction of the price iMate charged for the equivalent model and without the mobile contract.

Okay maybe I paid equivalent cost for it in the long run via the mob provider monthly fees, but that financial kick in the teeth was absorbed IYKWIM, and it meant that iMate didn't get a look in for the majority of all sales - as I said, positioned poorly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearing the Air...

I-mate is a OEM, and not truly a manufactuer, but you would be suprised to see all the comapnies that don't do their own manufacturing these days. That being said, they haven't had ties with HTC for a couple of years, and that undoubtedly has hurt them financially. I work in the industry and have seen their new designs that are tuly theirs and they look nice with incredible specs, but I just haven't seen any of them on the market as of yet. I would like to see them succeed, to give HTC some competition and keep the technology state of the art.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like