back to article Now Apple opens fire on EPAD trademark in China

Apple has filed an official complaint over an application for the EPAD trademark by Guangzhou-based computer kit maker ebox. The peripheral biz applied for the EPAD trademark in August 2010 and about a year later passed the first stage of approval by China’s Trademark Office, according to a report on Sina Tech. Apple filed its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

Give me a break!

What next Apple? Sue everyone on the planet who has some product with a single letter in front of the word pad?

No one is allowed to use A-Z combined with the word Pad, because the great Apple computers, Inc. says so? What a load of bullshit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just like the

Return of the 10,000 character post on El Reg , this will just go...

On and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on......

2. Shanghai Tom
      Flame

Re: Give me a break!

No-one seems to care that Lenovo has been selling LePad for ages either, maybeLenovo has more muscle that Apple.

Personally, when I hear the "i" anything trade mark I inwardly Barf.

If I won any "i" anything in a competition I would publicly stomp it into pieces.

Why ?

I am sick and tired of the hype on this stuff. What I use is for it's technical merit, and not it's bling appeal or hyped up consumerism driven stereotyping.

2. g e
    Stop

Sue Clare Rayner

For her PantyPads with wings

3. David Webb

This is China, go watch the episode of Top Gear when they were in China to figure out the odds of Apple winning this one. A car looking exactly like a BMW, BMW went to the courts and the courts say "nope, looks nothing like the BMW!" even though it was a carbon copy.

Gotta love the Chinese though, any country which puts 2 fingers up at Apple and says "get stuffed" is okay in my book.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is Apple...

I'm yet to hear of a major court loss against them. I think we can all guess what they're doing with the world's largest pile of cash when the lawyers are knocking at their door..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is Apple...

Why did I have a flashback of 300 then?

When Leonidas kicks the Persian ambassador into the bottonless pit.

"THIS IS CUPERTINO....!!!!!!"

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I love this. The iPad in China is a PC that looks like a iMac, but is not made by Apple. So Apple is complaining that their EPAD is infringing on another companies Trademark in China?

I am glad they have 97 billion in the bank. They will need it for the legal bills. Next they will be going after Issac Asimov's estate for I Robot.

1. ratfox
      Happy

That would be difficult

...considering iRobot is the name of a company that sells vacuum cleaners, and is completely unrelated to Apple...

5. Captain Underpants
    WTF?

Bit of doublethink there, surely?

So they object to ePad which is different to iPad but "similar", because "iPad is such a well-known brand"?

If it's so well known (and it's hard to argue otherwise), then surely there could be no confusion amongst the target audience unless a product marketed under the ePad name were to have the same appearance and smug marketing gimmick as the iPad?

Or am I being overly simplistic here?

6. sebtheanimal

This is nothing new and Apple will get nowhere within communist regimes' legal system. China's most prevalent business in counterfeiting existing products and an accepted norm.

7. Pen-y-gors

Heaven help...

anyone in China who owns a rice Padi

8. Steve Knox
    Coat

Appli es reght. Ef Chena doisn't stop companeis from rigestireng obveously semelar tradimarks, whiri well et ind?

9. Neill Mitchell

Just add an extra couple of E's

EEEPad. Oh, wait a second...

10. Tony Paulazzo
    Facepalm

Vowel-pad

Someone really needs to bitchslap Apple, and if they lose they should be forced to pay all the defendants cost.

1. LarsG

Re: Vowel-pad

A e I o u will be removed from all dictionaries by order of apple.

Sht, fck,bstrd,cnt,wnkr,prck,rshl,ccksckr,

11. Wile E. Veteran
    Devil

I'm going to make a tablet...

It is going to be trapezoidal in shape, have a reverse-trapezoidal bezel surround and Instead of icons, there will be words to be touched (sort of a touch-screen version of the old AT&T 3B1 "User Agent") to activate programs written in Perl/Tk, I'll call it the yLilyPad (because 'y' it exists is beyond me).

Probably get sued anyway.

Serta Mattress makes a line of mattresses called "iSleep" so I expect they will be hearing from fruity lawyers.

12. St3n
    Flame

Next up, they'll be going after the Thinkpad trademark!

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Now that's a legal battle I'd pay to watch.

GJC

2. JohnG

or Siemens' Simpad.

13. andreas koch
    Paris Hilton

ThnkPad?

Is the 'I' the issue, or is it the 'Pad' bit? Or the font? I mean Lenovo (and I*BM before them) make ThinkPads, and ASUS makes eeepads, and they don't have a lawsuit <currently>.

If ebox would change the appearance, would that mollify Apple? Maybe not. If they change the name to l (that's a lower case 'L', not a capital 'i')Fub with a font similar to Apple's, what would happen? Another trademark case, most likely.

I can understand that some company might want to tie in with another companies success and copy the looks, but what customer would believe that an IPad sleeve that he bought off a market stall for 8 bucks is actually a genuine Apple accessory?

I dislike Apple's attitude as much as the next man, to the point that I have, about 10 years ago, promised myself never to buy anything from them.

But if their only point of distinction is their trademark (it's not price, quality, creativity, or prominence is it?), then I can understand that they have to defend it with all their might; so I can understand what they do. It's a fashion fight. Paris would agree.

* An 'I', how cheeky of them.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They won't like it...

...when I register my new ooPad trademark then will they?

15. Local Group
    Go

Getting their iDucks in a row.

This means Apple are ready to settle with Proview and are getting all their Chinese patent, copyright and trademark infringement cases ready to roll when Tim Cook signs the 9 figure check to Proview.

16. Simon B
    WTF?

Apple? more like Patent Troll

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like