back to article Paper plane world record disputed

An “unpure” paper dart has all-but claimed the world record for the longest paper airplane flight. American football quarterback Joe Ayoob’s mighty ball-tossing right arm launched a paper plane 69.1 metres, beating the previous mark by nearly six metres. The plane climbed fast, descended sharply but picked up sufficient speed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

PARIS is safe

You had me worried for a second there. I thought it was PARIS that was challenged. I did wonder how they could have measured the altitude so precisely as to come up with this 6 m figure though.

And you might want to fix the sub-head. "Metres feet" are not a recognised SI unit (yet).

3. FatGerman
    Devil

Unpure... tossers... there must be a better headline, surely...?

4. Long John Brass
    Coat

Unpure septic tosser; Shocking use of sellotape accuses Australian paper plane guru

There fixed that for you ;)

1. Lockwood
      Headmaster

Re: Unpure septic tosser; Shocking use of sellotape accuses Australian paper plane guru

What was the papaer plane guru accused of?

1. Lockwood
        Unhappy

Re: Unpure septic tosser; Shocking use of sellotape accuses Australian paper plane guru

Dammit! Typos erode Grammar Nazi-ness.

5. Bruce Hoult

Can't argue with the result, but that seems like a crazy flight path to use to get maximum distance! That thing very nearly didn't pull out of the dive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IGE

No question of it not pulling out of the dive as the ground effect increased as it descended. That's by design.

1. Jess--

Re: IGE

doesn't ground effect only really come into play when you are roughly the same height from the ground as your wings width? or does that rule of thumb only apply to rotor aircraft

1. Stoneshop

Re: ground effect

happens when the airflow directed down from the wings (or rotor) gets to push against something solid (usually the ground) instead of just some other bits of air.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

That is the right flight profile for a long distance flight - up, down to pick up speed and glide.

I am envious. Very few of mine have ever gone past the 30m mark. The ones that had were lucky to catch an updraft. Granted, I never had a football pro throwing them.

The really interesting thing here is that it looks like it was made out of normal paper. I have always found rice paper (the one engineers and navigators used to use for copying stuff in "lower tech" days) to yield much better results. The design looks conventional too - I cannot see any extra folds down the middle, wing folds, etc (these allow you to get longer distance with a less "crazy" flight path). In fact, it all looks like the old adage: "Pigs do fly, if sufficient thrust has been provided". Lots of thrust on this one though.

6. Bassey

impressive

Pure or not - that is one impressive flight

7. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Joke

Australian Sellotape?

Missed a chance to reference "Durex" in the headline?

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Linux

Should have used duct tape

Duct tape can do anything.

Ask the Mythbusters.

<-- looks a bit like a duck

9. Gav
    Boffin

How quaint

They appear to have measured the distance in arcane units of feet and inches, so I have to question whether the plane was made from A4. More likely US Letter, foolscap, parchment scroll or some other ancient standard.

And sellotape is a TM. They probably used Scotch tape.

1. John I'm only dancing

Re: How quaint

Scotch tape is also a TM...would have been much better saying sticky tape in the style of Blue Peter.

1. Matthew 3

I always thought Sellotape was the 'sticky-backed plastic' they referred to. Was that something else?

1. micheal
          Happy

sticky back plastic

Fablon (r) or Kontact (r)

2. Gwyn Evans

There's some detail on the Popular Mechanics site, where he explains a bit about the plane, calling it "the most technical plane I’ve ever made" and yes, it was A4 by design.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/aviation/diy-flying/the-secrets-of-the-world-record-setting-paper-plane-7013184

10. Shades

The guy...

...in the blue shirt reminds me of Will Ferrel in Anchorman - Neato!

This topic is closed for new posts.