back to article Facebook blamed for getting Thai teens up the duff

Facebook now has another social ill to add to the growing list of reprehensible things it has been blamed for: unwanted teenage pregnancies. Yes, according to Thai government body the National Economic and Social Development Board, the social networking giant has a lot to answer for in the country. It said that Thai mothers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Kids should be kicking balls instead"

While unconventional, this would seem to be a quite effective form of contraception as i'm sure a swift kick to the knackers will put even the most randy of teenager off the idea of sex for a few hours...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seeing as we're talking randy teenagers, I think putting them off for only a few hours will be a v.small reprieve before the inevitable.

2. Bakunin
    Big Brother

Dividends over people

"It’s unlikely Facebook will bow to pressure to screen its content in the country"

Until Thailand does something that has an adverse effect on Facebook's profits. Then it will find a way to "operate within social and legal norms" so it can "offer the best possible user experience"

That's not to pick on Facebook alone. Unfortunately all the big web companies are slowly doing the same. Particularly once they go public and they have to justify to their shareholders why they're not growing in these emerging markets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dividends over people

Yes, god damn face book, why arn't you filtering teenagers desire to talk to members of the opposite sex and flirt and meet up and get drunk and have lots of sex?

3. S Larti
    Facepalm

Whatisthisidon'teven...

Thanks to the Reg for revealing yet more WWWTFery!

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"call friends to go play football”

But will they get out of the changing rooms?

5. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Football, eh?

"He revealed that recent national sex ed exam asked students: “What should you do if you have a sexual urge?” The answer, apparently, was “call friends to go play football”."

So that's what the kids are calling it nowadays.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Football, eh?

Makes sense. Another activity where it feels good and impresses your mates when you score.....

2. Lamont Cranston

Nothing like a game of 5-a-side. Mrs Palm's girls have been on fine form, this season.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Football, eh?

and you always win the toss.

3. Christoph
      Headmaster

I look forward to El Reg acquiring this as a new euphemism to go with 'Bulgarian airbags' - 'Playing Football' will be the El Reg equivalent of the Eye's 'Discussing Uganda'.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

You mean there are really real Thai girls?

I've been going to the wrong bars again!

7. Andyf

Sex ed question

"What should you do if you have a sexual urge?” The answer, apparently, was “call friends to go play football”.

Doesn't seem curb the urges of many of our current crop of Premiership players.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sex ed question

Yeah.... Because running around with a bunch of other horny, half naked boys will stop those sexual urges!

8. armyknife

Thumping One Into The Top-Right Corner From Outside The Box

What if you don't like football ?

9. Crisp
    Stop

Correlation =/= Causation

That is all.

10. CollyWolly
    WTF?

so how come....

The BBC had a news article claiming that teen pregnancy rates were lowest sine 1969, long before facebook existed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17190185

1. The Indomitable Gall
      Holmes

Re: so how come....

Probably cos while our kids are having a lot of sex, they're wrapping themselves up nice and snug before venturing into the magic cave.

11. Nuke
    Gimp

Seeing that Thailand seems to have exported half of its womanhood as Thai-Brides, or to work as hookers around the world (take a look at the number advertising in your local paper classifieds); and the half that don't leave work as bar hostesses for foreign sex tourists, I should not think there is anything else for straight sex-starved young Thai men to do except get over it by kicking each other in the balls.

Maybe there a few ugly girls left.

BSDM icon

12. The Indomitable Gall
    Stop

Old fashioned solutions to old fashioned problems.

I think modern society is forgetting that our ancestors had problems with teen pregnancy too. Society evolved a very neat solution for dealing with the problem, and I think it would serve us well to learn from the wisdom of our ancestors. Unfortunately, that solution has been taken from us by liberal laws. No, I'm not talking about whipping (for some people, that's a turn-on, so more sex) or "honour killings" (if you're willing to kill your kid, then obviously it's your fault he/she turned out that way -- you're not a very loving father. No, I'm talking about the good old, traditional shotgun wedding.

It's got everything:

* compensation for the injured party (the knocked up girl gets financial support)

* punishment for the injuring party (where do you think the phrase "ball and chain" comes from?)

* an active deterrent (before you sh@g this burd/bloke, ask yourself, could you bear spending the rest of your life with them...?)

Seriously, Thailand, enact a shotgun marriage statute and the numbers WILL drop. Guaranteed.

1. sisk

Re: Old fashioned solutions to old fashioned problems.

I only see a few problems with your assumptions:

"* compensation for the injured party (the knocked up girl gets financial support)

* punishment for the injuring party (where do you think the phrase "ball and chain" comes from?)"

You seem to be implying that it's all the guy's fault. In reality, it takes two to tango, so to speak. The girl is no more or less at fault than the guy. Plus a teen father is not going to be providing much in the way of financial support.

And besides, shotgun marriages are divorce fodder.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Old fashioned solutions to old fashioned problems.

Divorce fodder at best, at worst a life time of domestic violence and marrital rape.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Old fashioned solutions to old fashioned problems.

I think you mean, "good old traditional domestic violence and good old traditional marital rape".

2. P. Lee
          Paris Hilton

Re: Re: Re: Old fashioned solutions to old fashioned problems.

You are assuming the kids neither like nor respect each other and that divorce is socially acceptable. Could someone explain how divorce is any worse than getting someone pregnant and leaving them immediately?

The issue appears to come down to "How much am I willing to put my interests and desires above those of the other person." That's not just to do with getting teenagers pregnant, that attitude is key throughout any relationship.

The real old-fashioned solution is not to have sex before marriage and not to make it socially acceptable to have sex outside marriage. That actually solves the problem. It requires some restraint on the pursuit of [my] happiness (which is probably heresy in America) and requires I consider the long-term good of someone else. That means, even if consensual sex is offered, it is refused. And don't put yourself in a situation where sex is probable, because its unlikely to end well. Decide, commit and then go like bunnies!

It's just selfishness and proud assumption that I'm more important than someone else which is the problem. Pregnant teenagers are just a symptom.

2. The Indomitable Gall

3 thumbs down? I assume you didn't realise this was a joke. As in "not serious". Jeeeez.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nurse! He's trying to make jokes again!!

13. DragonKin37
    Holmes

Isnt this the same country

Where strip clubs have Hermaphrodites and other sexual oddities?

14. Bucky 2
    WTF?

Uh, isn't this the same country which has been known world-wide for generations for its prostitution--especially underage prostitution?

DAMN that Facebook!

15. Qu Dawei
    Holmes

It's surely a more subtle ploy

I think it's just a ploy to try to improve the national football team of Thailand, on the basis of completely misinterpreting the over-the-top antics of many western clubs' players after scoring a goal (at football), which often just looks like the preliminary foreplay moves of a group-orgy

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irony?

"Thailand’s prudish attitude towards sex education"

and yet...

Thais.

1. Alain

Re: Irony?

Believe it or not Thailand *is* a prudish society. I know this sounds weird for a country known to be the favourite destination of sex tourists of all kinds, but this is the truth.

Precisely because the youth are kept in a state of ignorance of sex things and are incredibly sexually frustrated, prostitution flourishes and youngsters tend to do all lot of silly things like unprotected sex. Don't mix the prostitution for foreigners and the one for locals, though. They're two completely different businesses with the latter going on much more underground.

And yes, I've lived there for many years far, far away from the foreigners' ghettos so I kind of know what I'm talking about.

17. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Surprise

Bigoted idiots say bigoted idiotic things - who would have thought?

P.S. This new forum design looks really really bad. Especially those curvy arrows indicating replies...

18. Alan Brown Silver badge

Low UK teen pregnancy rate

Perhaps because most are simply not literate enough to use Facebook.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like