back to article C&W eyes Pipex access network

The remains of Pipex are being picked over by Cable and Wireless as part of a planned outsourcing deal. Engineers and consultants arrived onsite yesterday for talks to take over the running of the access network that connect customers to Pipex's London core network and the internet. The talks form the next stage of Pipex's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

The writing was on the wall..

"Pipex was gradually squeezed out of the broadband market by fierce competition and consolidation."

I think it is quite fair to say that there was much more to their decline than that. Also that they were not helpless, innocent victims of the market and should take some responsibility themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Pipex invented mass market broadband (well, got there first) but failed to keep up on tariffs and pricing, and combined with appallingly incompetent CS, and some level of incompetence in their business systems (e.g. announced a PAYG tariff but couldn't make metering work, broke the "MyPipex" customer portal and couldn't fix it for months) there wasn't really much future for the consumer broadband bit of Pipex.

What "access network" are we talking about, anyway? Pipex presumably still have their core national backbone, but their broadband customers largely connect to Pipex via BTwholesale's setups (although there was some low level LLU tinkering going on last time I checked).

Maybe we're talking about the ex-Bulldog part of their customer base which Pipex bought not all that long ago? Many of them would be on an LLU setup not involving BTwholesale. In which case, ex-Bulldog punters would be going *back* to C+W.

I'm confused. Anyone able to shed any real light ?

3. Michael
    Linux

The crap networks will eat themselves

I mentioned this before when pipex was taken over by tiscali.....there's a trend here

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bulldog??

Wouldn't have thought it the Bulldog lot, given that C&W have dropped the retail platform entirely... Why would they want them back?

More likely to be the "low level" SMPF LLU operation being shipped over to C&W. I mean, it's not needed by Tiscali now (as they've got their own) so C&W have pounced on the option to relieve their own wilting/massively over-loaded SMPF LLU operation.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh?

I'm still using Pipex for broadband (probably the only customer they have left on Point to Point Wireless DSL) but the traffic is routed through Easynet as it has been since the Tele2 days.

Their system is so messed up that they have never got their billing right once since they got the WDSL part from Firstnet. I just hope the next owners can get it right.

6. John Munyard

Empty inbox

As a Pipex customer of over 10 years, I'm still waiting for someone to actually tell me that Tiscali have taken it over. You'd think after 4 months someone would get around to it dont'cha..?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like