back to article Interpol attacks hacks

A haul of suspected hackers allegedly linked to the Anonymous cabal has been hauled in by a wide ranging Interpol operation named ‘Operation Unmask’. Interpol announced that it has collared 25 suspected hackers across four countries in Latin America and Europe. The agency boasted that 250 items of IT equipment and mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Interpol have anything better to do?

"The question before the US supreme court in Kiobel v Shell"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/28/question-before-supreme-court-kiobel-v-shell

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does Interpol have anything better to do?

OK you've lost me, what's this to Interpol?

2. DrXym

Re: Does Interpol have anything better to do?

Um, Interpol is an organization that assists with international investigations allowing police forces to cooperate. It seems to me that coordinating simultaneous raids across multiple countries falls well and truly under its remit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Operation Unmask?

So anyone caught wearing by a "V" mask is by implication a Thought Criminal?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is not unexpected

As long as people hack, they will be arrested, prosecuted and punished.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: This is not unexpected

Hacking's not illegal.

I've been a hacker for forty years, and I've never done anything illegal.

What's illegal is stupid fucking idiots breaking laws, all the while claiming "I'm just trying to see how it works" without mentioning "and how I can put your money (and your daughter's nekkid photos) into my pocket/iFad[tm]".

The annonytwats are getting more and more annoying ... and not in a good way. The backlash is growing louder here in the SF Bay Area ...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Miek

@AC . Define "Hack"

4. Bill Neal

...cannot be seen as a safe haven for criminal activity.

That doesn't seem to stop criminal activity at all. If it was a safe haven, then it wouldn't be criminal anyway.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Drink more Fluoride and it won't seem so bad. Now get back to work, slaves.

1. DrXym

Is that you General Ripper?

I hope you are keeping your precious bodily fluids safe.

1. Miek

Re: Is that you General Ripper?

Mine have been sapped and impurified :(

5. SJRulez

25 out of how many

Lets all brag about how many we've caught, 25 members is the tip of the ice berg.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: 25 out of how many

So, SJRulez, you are advocating can(n)on fodder?

Nice. I hope your chums urge you forward in real life.

Am I really the only one who sees these idiots for the idiots that they are?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: 25 out of how many

So far your arguments appear to be "I'm right, because I'm right".

2. SJRulez

Re: Re: 25 out of how many

On the contrary I think Interpol and rest of the intelligence services are complete muppets for releasing information about arrests. Every time they brag about it, all the seem to do is help anon recruit more people to the cause and give them another reason to go seeking retribution.

I also think they cut off a valuable source of intel, they should be online impersonating those people they have arrested to gleam more info and track down more sources but instead they prefer to blow their trumpets about how they caught 25 hackers.

Their current methods are more akin to when the mafia were a big problem, law enforcement constantly bragged about removing a few people only to find the ranks filled out even more and with more dangerous people.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Re: Re: 25 out of how many

SJRulez, do you really think that you have out-thought international law enforcement, all by yourself, from your mommy's basement?

That kind of thinking is a part of the problem ... What the annonytwats don't realize is that they are actually annony-nots. No man is an island ...

1. Mephistro
            Big Brother

Re: Re: Re: Re: 25 out of how many (@ jake)

" What the annonytwats don't realize is that they are actually annony-nots. No man is an island ..."

What the Interpol is doing here is winnowing out the less apt, and promoting the ones that 'work safe' and their methods. The best memes will prevail!.

That is, if the Interpol isn't just going after the guys who run the IRC servers Anonymous uses to communicate, as they did in a similar raid in my country last year. If this is the case, we can expect most of those arrested getting out scotch free after some small judiciary farce and legal harassment.

And, Jake, FYI, mom's basement dwellers aren't the only ones that believe 'The Authority' deserves several kicks in the 'nads whenever they try to take rights away from us . Anything that sheds light on their underhanded tactics -i.e. the Stratfor affaire with Wikileaks- is good for our freedom.

2. SJRulez

Re: Re: Re: Re: 25 out of how many

1. Ive out though law enforcement quite a few times.

2. Its my house not my moms.

3. The computers are in the loft since i don't have a basement.

4. Law enforcement are useless because just like you most of them think Hackers are a bunch of geeks who sit in their basements.

5. There's a difference between being a hacker and hanging round IRC chat rooms.

6. There's also a difference between being a hacker or cracker and someone who jumps on the bandwagon for a DOS attack which so far is what most of the arrests are for.

7. There's a difference between hacking to destroy things and hacking to out the fact that half the gov organizations including law enforcement are completely inept at security.

6. yossarianuk

re : Fluoride

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

7. Miek

"by a wide ranging Interpol operation named ‘Operation Unmask’" -- How creative and witty Interpol.

8. Bernard M. Orwell

A mere 25?

Is that all they could manage? I wonder what the costs were like, in terms of manpower, time and money?

Jake, in order to have cannon-fodder it follows there must be "generals" to send the "cannon-fodder" in, and in assuming that you make the same mistake that these law-enforcers have made; they've assumed that the entity called Anonymous cares. It doesn't. It probably doesn't even know. Thats because "it" doesn't exist.

Oh, and it's legion.

They will need to arrest tens of thousands before any serious progress will be made, and I suspect that will simply exacerbate the situation, rather than alleiviate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: A mere 25?

This may have a deterrent affect. The possibility that some of the tens of thousands may be dragged out of their mothers warm basement, down to the local chokey for a spot of constipation therapy by their fellow inmates............

2. jake Silver badge

Re: A mere 25?

What I typed was "can(n)on fodder". Can you guess why?

That word "legion" ... I don't think it means what you think it means.

1. Bill Neal
        Meh

Re: Re: A mere 25?

"We are legion" was already a common phrase in Warhammer 40,000 before anon used it. I'm sure many of them are familiar with such fiction/tabletop culture.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: A mere 25?

"We are legion" is a phrase that's been around for about 2K years since it's a Biblical phrase.. and refers to a dangerous schizophrenic.

How very apt.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Re: A mere 25?

Anyone reading THAT book is in danger of becoming a dangerous schizophrenic. Besides, the only time they quote the bible is to refute the existence of god.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacking bad, sex trafficking,mmm alright

Amazing how quickly Interpol can work together with individual contries and pull in hackers who threaten corporations and Government corruption but somehow can't seem to touch International drug cartels, sex traffickers, corporate tax evasion, etc.

Just shows as long as what you do harms the ordinary people, your safe, even think about trying to protect your own rights, off to jail sonny.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hacking bad, sex trafficking,mmm alright

Hey, does that mean that if I want to snoop around some big corporate networks, it would be fine to do so so long as I traffic a few prostitutes and make some Mexican friends in order to scare off Interpol? If so that sounds like an easy trade.

Also, I heard anonymous reads all the comments on teh Reg about themselves. ;-)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Semantics

As long as they ship these criminals off to prison you can call them what ever makes you happy. Hacking, aka illegal computer access, is a crime.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My predication...

We'll never hear anything more on this story.

Somebody will go digging and find that a couple of them were put away on drugs charges and one of them (the youngest, most stupid, probably from one of the more oppressive South American countries) was given a sentence that would shock a murderer even though there was no real evidence. This somebody will never publish because it's all too depressing and meaningless.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My predication...

Or NOT. ;)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another 25 bite the dust

It would appear that Anonymouse is not really anonymous. Who knew?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like