back to article It's game over for pinball pioneer

Steve Kordek, the man widely dubbed as the Godfather of Pinball, has fired his last steely sphere at the ripe age of 100. While Kordek was credited with developing hundreds of pinball games, it was his implementation of two flippers that cemented his legendary status in the gaming world. After the 1947 game Humpty Dumpty …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    Stop

failing to respond to persistent nudging...

Many a mis-spent afternoon at the local arcade in my youth, thanks to this man.

R.I.P. Steve.

TILT!

1. CD001

I really, really hope...

That he has TILT on his gravestone :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nice high score

Thanks and RIP

1. stucs201

Re: high score

A much more pinball like score if converted to seconds though...

3. Dick Emery
    Thumb Up

Bonus ball!

Virtual pinball just isn't the same as pounding on buttons relentlessly whilst watching the lights flash and the sound of the ball bouncing off rubber bands and buffers accompanied to a chaotic musical jangling of triggered switches.

A generation lost to time.

May you rest in peace.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bonus ball!

I tend to agree but, there's always

http://gameprom.com/pinball-hd

Available on Android and iPhone and I have to say they're pretty damn good. The way the camera follows the ball, it's like you're in the machine (it is possible to switch off this feature)

(No affiliation) - but I am very impressed.

Gonna find a real table tomorrow and play

4. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

That last line was priceless.

Must find a local machine and see Mr K on his way. Thanks for the flashy, tinkly memories.

RIP

5. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Pinball.....

I miss being able to go into an arcade and spend an hour or so bashing steel balls around a table. It's a great way of letting off steam. I used to be able to get a replay on my regular tables almost every game, which made it quite cheap! Oh, the feel of the flippers and the buffers and kickers...

Every now and then I will find a table in good enough nick to be worth playing, and I still have some of my skill. I went into a pub a few years ago with some friends, saw a table that I had never played before, and still managed to get two replays from the 50p I put in. Pissed off my mates who thought I must have been in before.

I live in a tourist oriented seaside town and I cannot find a single table worth playing here. It's sad really.

1. James O'Brien
      Joke

To quote Duke Nukem

This man had "balls of steel"

That is all

6. stucs201

I don't think there are any tables around here

Will have to settle for listening to The Who on full volume instead...

1. William Towle
      Pint

Re: I don't think there are any tables around here

Very few tables around here too, for shame, but at least there are some. Notably a Batman: Dark Knight [Gremlin Solutions/Stern] on which I got 90mil -nearly as much as the second replay value- without really trying (pint in hand, mate's band on stage adjacent ... as much as you might think both would scupper your concentration levels!).

Would have been an excellent effort had I played in tournament mode :(

RIP that man.

7. Gary F

The game that crossed 3 generations

There aren't many fun and furious arcade games that 3 generations can play happily without confusion or an 18 certificate. Grandpa grew up playing pinball and it's just as exciting for son and even granddaughter to play. There's something about a bare-metal game like this that can't be matched by video games.

8. jonathan keith
    Happy

Pinball

Still the best way to teach shoolboys about Newtonian physics.

9. armyknife

Pinball Wizard

I hope they play a certain Who song as his funeral.

10. Richard Altmann
    Thumb Up

surf champ

gathering around a Surf Champ with 7 schoolmates so noone could see number 8 drilling holes and sawing through the machine to get to the cash box and having endless after school matches. Anyone there with a "Terminator" to flog?

11. Richard Altmann

rip

tx 4 all the goood times

12. Armando 123
    Coat

Aw man!

Some deaf, dumb, and blind kid just tilted the casket!

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pint

Specials when lit

Hours and hours of fun at 20c a pop!

Vale.

14. Patrick R
    Pint

TAK !

Ah... that sound.

15. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Happy

Should anyone find themselves in Almeda, California

I urge you to visit the Pacific Pinball Museum:

http://pacificpinball.org/

GJC

16. Stevie

Damn!

Nothing like the sound of the ball smacking the glass after giving it a damn good flipping.

I salute you sir.

17. david 63

end of an era

Good machines are hard to find. And very poorly maintained. Shame really.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like