back to article Sony pauses for breath, coughs up two more Xperia mobes

Two new Android phones – and one re-announced one – are not the real story from Sony, however hard it tries to make it so. When Sony and Ericsson hooked up there was a pause as the two companies tried to make the strange marriage work. But while the parting of ways seems completely harmonious, there are clearly some things to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BINGO - We have a winner...

I was waiting for the first review of the Xperia S, that would bring up the fixed memory and no replaceable battery, yet totally ignore the fact that this is exactly what Apple do...

1. Paul 135

Re: BINGO - We have a winner...

Unfortunately, this is simply a case of Sony seeing crAppl€'s extortionate cash pile and then copying crAppl€ for the sake of copying crAppl€ thinking it will lead to the same. Unfortunately for Sony, the Reality Distortion Field does not extend beyond irrational and obsessive crAppl€-loving zealots.

As a Sony Ericsson fan I am disappointed.

2. Paul Shirley

"polished Ice Cream Sandwich port "

If the preview builds are a guide, their ICS port is taking so long because Sony are trying to revert the ICS look&feel back to their current Gingerbread+Timescape look. I can only suppose this is because ICS was in part meant to reduce the variation between phones and Sony value their differentiation above the end user benefits of reduced fragmentation.

BTW, the Alpha camera brand was essentially bought in when they acquired and shut down Konica Minolta. Seems Sony really do better with outside input than left to themselves - which is what worries me about losing Ericsson input from the phone business.

While Sony may own a lot of content, the whole industry has spent 20 years trying to sell content and failed miserably. Is that really about to change? I like my Play, it's nice its got all that Playstation content a click away. And I've bought none of it and have a huge backlog of other peoples games to work through before even looking at Sony's offerings again. It's hard to own a market in the Android world, even Google can't manage it.

1. Jon Press

Sony value their differentiation

Not sure why. I'd pay a small premium to be spared the impossible-to-remove crapware and bundle of unwanted memory hogging extensions lurking in the background in the vain hope I might consent to my phone being infected by "social" networking.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with Android phones

Is that they all manage to deliver a lot of phone for the money while being a bit boring. It's a hard market to differentiate in.

4. Levente Szileszky
    Thumb Up

SmartTags for profiles is nothing new...

...at least for me because I'm using Llama for long time now: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en

No need to manually set anything eg if I'm home and it's 8PM then it goes vibration only to let my soon-to-be-4 princess sleep, if I'm at work and in my office then ring volume decreases, if I step out it increases, if I've stayed in the office late and on the way home I stop by for my favorite pasta then it picks up the wifi there and turns down the volume etc etc.

1. Bodhi

Re: SmartTags for profiles is nothing new...

Only problems I see with Llama are

1) It only works for about 2 weeks then completely forgets where the locations are.

2) It makes single core phones run like a dog and chews your battery

3) It's a bit rubbish.

But apart from that, it's ace!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like