back to article An iPad in every pot, says Anna Bligh

Queensland’s apparently-outgoing premier Anna Bligh has launched an IT auction to replace the law-and-order auctions more familiar to voters in Australian state elections. Ms Bligh, whose Labor government is trailing the Liberal-National Party in pre-election polling, promised yesterday that if her government is re-elected, it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wathend
    Pint

All suppliers gouge the government

Richard, I am not sure why you think the iPad initative is any worse for gouging the goverment purse than the Lenovo deal for Netbooks with the Fed's was. All suppliers do this. At least they can be sure that the iPad apps are secure adn the student privacy is protected unless of course they use google services...

2. Goat Jam
    Flame

Fricking Politicians

There is plenty of evidence (not to mention plain old common sense) that shows that not only do computers and other tech toys NOT have a positive influence on learning outcomes but that they actually have a negative influence because they are a fricking distraction!

If Bligh thinks that having a classroom full of kids updating their Facebook status and playing Angry Birds is a good thing then she should come right out and say it.

No, this is just more pork barrelling of the kind that Labor is so well practised at.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the twenty schools in the “Flying Start” program are all located in marginal or Labor electorates.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fricking Politicians

That's hardly fair. At the moment ALL Labor electorates are marginal.

Agree with the rest of your post though.

2. P. Lee
      Childcatcher

Re: Fricking Politicians

+1 for distractions

Teach them to program, teach database theory, OS architecture, communication protocols architecture.

FB and Excel are not required in school. Electronic textbooks are certainly not required - teenagers are not too weak to lift a book.

3. LaeMing
    Unhappy

Angry Birds!

Pork Barrel.

4. Talic
    FAIL

Election time

Just more quickly thought up ideas to try and win the election.

ie. Vote for me and get a free ipad! (in a nutshell)

I cant stand Anna Blight after what she has done.

Where are all the well thought out ideas that show efficient and USEFUL spending?

5. g e

I can save them a load of money...

Use an Android tab.

Seriously 'Use the most expensive, locked-in and proprietary tablet variant you can get?' Tax dollars well-spent by a government yet again. (OK SONY might be dearer, haven't checked)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can save them a load of money...

But they are not just using the most expensive tablet, they are then paying a 30% markup over *retail* prices. Shirely they could have at least negotiated some kind of volume discount?

6. Tony Paulazzo

>At least they can be sure that the iPad apps are secure adn the student privacy is protected unless of course they use google services...<

Or unless they use any ipad app that copies your address book to their servers (ie any and all of them) - http://www.enterprisemobiletoday.com/features/after_hours/are-iphone-apps-stealing-your-address-book-info.html

Including the Angry Birds app.

As for the article: Politician promises to do something if put in power that she totally won't do once in power... I think politicians who lie should be hung from streetlamps for treason.

1. Bernd Felsche
      Facepalm

Streetlamps?

You idiot.

Streetlamps are nowhere near strong enough to dangle a well-fed politician.

7. Bernd Felsche
    Coat

When I were a lad ...

We all had tablets from the first day in school.

We could play games like Hangman and Battleships on them.

And they didn't need batteries.

8. silent_count
    Paris Hilton

Don't bother reporting things that will never happen.

Anna's got no chance of being re-elected (though I'm sure the LNP will do their best to get her re-elected). She might as well promise to send each of the school children (with their iPad) to the moon.

@AC (GMT 00:32/23-Feb-2012) I think the only safe Labour seat in Queensland is (federal) seat of Griffith. Though if the current Labour party leadership thing goes really sour for him, I'm confident that Kevin Rudd could retain Griffith as an independent.

Paris, cause she's got a better chance of being premier of Queensland, after the next state election, than Anna Bligh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like