back to article Modern Warfare 3 shoots onto Steam for free

Activision is offering Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 completely free on Steam this weekend, with access to the full range of multiplayer features on show. While the game hardly struggles for numbers, with over 6.5m MW3 copies shifted in the first 24 hours on sale, the move will allow unconvinced gamers a chance to load their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Z-Eden

One hopes this won't lead to people punching walls, drinking milk and getting the monk on!

2. Cave Dweller
    Trollface

Free FPS

Team Fortress 2 is a more accurate game.

Not sure if trolling, or speaking the truth.

3. Greg J Preece

I was only interested in the single-player, so I'll wait for the next Steam sale, ta.

1. Goat Jam
      Holmes

If you are playing *any* CoD game for the single player then you are DOING IT WRONG

I don't play CoD games online, but I have played the single player "train ride" in the past.

When you learn the fundamental tactic then CoD singlepayer games can be completed in a couple of hours.

Compared to Skyrim, in which I have sunk well over 400 hours this is pathetic. I also put many hours into Farcry, Half-Life, GTA and Crysis. These are proper single player games.

The fundamental tactic is to realise that the enemies just respawn relentlessly.

There is no tactical advantage to picking off guards in order to gain access to an enemy encampment (ala Farcry/Crysis) because the enemies simply keep respawning.

The only way to advance through the campain is to keep moving forward to the next spawnpoint which will stop the respawning of enemies.

Once you understand that it is really just a matter of shotgun charging through the map (which generally offers very little opportunity for lateral movement, aka it is "on rails") and the game will be over before tea.

The exception to this rule are the occasional defensive levels where you are simply supposed to stay put and defend against wave upon wave of enemies until some arbitrary end where the attack is declared to be "over" .

Single player CoD is really just a 90's arcade game with "awesome graphics"

1. Goat Jam

Addendum

I just want to add that yes, I realise that the Half-Life games have, to a degree, been "on rails" as well.

But not to the degree that CoD is.

In my playthroughs of CoD up to MW1 I found that it was extremely common for the player to be restricted to a 20ft path forward with ludicrously unjumpable handrails and sandbag walls restricting the player from moving in any direction but foward.

Half-Life 2 had a lot of linear moments such as the canal-speeder section and the bit driving the buggy through the antlion infested areas, but even in those the player had the opportunity to knock off the bad guys then explore a bit without having to deal with infinitely respawning enemies.

Actually, the Ant Lions did infinitely respawn. But that was the only case of infinite respawning that I recall.

Then there were sections where you could use turrets to set up defenses and shit. I really loved the HL2 turrets.

4. Piro Silver badge

Hm, generic shooting game

I'll pass. By the time it downloads anyway, the offer will be over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hm, generic shooting game

By the time it downloads here, it'll be 5 mins this post ;p

1. Goat Jam
        WTF?

Re: Re: Hm, generic shooting game

@AC What?

5. Tegne
    Thumb Up

A weekend's access eh?

That'll be long enough to finish the single player campaign for those who don't care for multi-player.

1. Tom 38
      Stop

Re: A weekend's access eh?

A weekend of multiplayer only. No single player.

6. Oliver Mayes

Translation: The Steam servers will be unavailable for the next 48 hours as thousands of people try to download MW3.

1. Greg J Preece

This was announced last weekend, and I believe that it could be pre-loaded, so hopefully Steam anticipated that waaaay in advance.

I'm just brassed off that Killing Floor was piss cheap again this week. Every time that happens the harder servers flood with CoD/L4D playing newbies who reckon they're tough. They spawn into a game at level 0, cause a huge zombie spawn, get massacred, and rage quit, leaving the regular players on their own against a horde.

1. Goat Jam
        Joke

A horde?

Isn't that what the zombie holocaust is all about?

7. stucs201
    Facepalm

I'm obviously getting out of touch with current games

I still think Mech Warrior when I see MW.

8. TechnicianJack

33% off! Now it's gone from the price of an overpriced game when new, to a normal game price when new. Might have a go for free, but I won't be paying for MW 2.5.

9. uvme
    Mushroom

No where near 6.5 million copies sold on steam

the sales figures quoted are for all formats, just shy of 200,000 copies where sold in the first week on PC , that number pretty much fell off instantly. on average there are less than 20k playing at any one time, a little more due to this free weekend but the game still sufferes from console-port-itus. horrible p2p lag infested listenservers with huge penalties for those with fast PC's and internet connections in the way of added fake lag compensation. It truely is a mere shadow of what was one a great PC franchise.

Added to this the fact that hacks and cheats are freely availible all over torrent sites etc, hacks that have been around since MW2 over 2 years ago and still not addressed by the developer and all in all its a horrid experience.

1. NomNomNom

Re: No where near 6.5 million copies sold on steam

thanks you just unsold it to me, saved my weekend. thanks.

10. Atonnis
    Facepalm

Only multiplayer?

Why the hell would I download a mid-range FPS just for multiplayer and then pay to play it?

Crikey, give me back the days we'd buy a game, play the single-player campaign through...then once satisfied with our experience we'd all join up together and play games with our friends, with one of us hosting, because we liked the game so much.

Pay to play an FPS? Puleese...

11. Avatar of They
    Thumb Down

Free is about the right price

Free to play will mean it is free to see how many cheaters and hackers are in the game.

I have unlocked everything and played multiplayer to death but cheating is just too much now. Activision are thinking of releasing 16 updates? When they won't fix what is already out so at least over the weekend it will be a big reality check for players.

Single player is only five hours tops, so you can easily do it in a weekend.

Yes it is exactly the same as COD MW2, but with less and poorer quality maps. Still has the same annoying server match up. However now some players are admins and they abuse the fact.

However at least you are not signing your life away with the EA EULA of BF3. Which is a bonus.

12. df76

FTP weekends are a nice thing for the publisher to seel, but for the (existing) gamers it's just horrible.

Server performance usually starts to sucks and you get flooded by beginners and people with bad manners. If your favorite game has a FTP weekened on steam, just stay away and have a nice weekend with the lady, or go play custom.

This topic is closed for new posts.