back to article HP, Dell warn of price hikes after Foxconn wage rise

Tech giants HP and Dell have revealed that they are keeping a close eye on developments in the Chinese labour market and may even be forced to put up their prices if wages keep increasing in the region. It was reported last week that Taiwanese hardware giant Foxconn – which is the world’s largest component maker and builds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Francis Fish
    Happy

How big a rise?

I mean, a quid?

Two?

I would be bothered because?

I suppose if things aren't £299, but become £305 it's harder for the marketers, but so what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How big a rise?

You're being too logical. Marketing types will work with PR people, scare everyone and say they've managed to keep cost rises down to 10%. So expect your £299 product to now retail for £229.

Still, if you take that increase and divide by 3 (expect a PC to last 3 years), that £10 a year... worth the price if the workers can have a happy life.

Perhaps production (and component manufacture) will now shift to Africa ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: How big a rise?

Type - £329 obviously

2. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Wrong.

try the energy company method of marketing.

Our costs have gone up by 10% so we have to raise retail by 10%.

Random numbers:

Cost to build per unit £100 + 10% = New cost £110

Cost retail £500 + 10% = New Cost £550.

£40 extra profit, but hey it's the same % increase as we have been hit by.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: the energy company method

I don't think that method is unique to energy companies. I think it is pretty much standard practice in all industries, for reasons I've never been able to fathom.

However, it is likely to be masked by another irrational effect -- the tendency for everything to be priced at "round" numbers. So if the unit cost rises from £100 to £103, there will be agonising meetings to decide whether to bravely absorb the cost increases to protect our valued customers (retail at £149.99) or whether to regret that these increases will have to be passed on given the pressures of the global economy (retail at £159.99).

3. Semaj
        Stop

Not unless people in Africa stop killing each other so much.

Africa by rights should be the richest place on Earth - geographically it is perfect - it has everything. But corruption is so ingrained into the various societies that it's unlikely to really ever be truly utilized. At least not in our lifetime.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

True, as long as they are hiking prices, they will hike them by the amount they plan to keep them at for a few years and pocket the difference. They had better watch themselves as Asus, Acer, Lenovo, etc will go after any opening.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't be much of an increase

The labour cost per unit is pretty small anyway; the brand owners are likely to make more from this than the workers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Foxconn wages barely give staff there enough to get by on once living costs at the plants dormitories are deducted"

How? Know facts (from Nightline/Fair Labor Association):

Meals cost $0.70 each = 60 meals = $42/month

Dorm rent: $17.50/month

=> Total accommodation and food costs: $59.50

Salary of 1800 yuan = $285

So that's $225 left after living expenses, or 80% of the total salary.

I'm not saying it's a good life or great salary, but it seems their living expenses get sorted with less than a week's work?

4. Mondo the Magnificent
    Facepalm

Protect the worker....

..but more importantly protect the profits!

This comes as no surprise to me. The bottom line is that tech companies have to appease shareholders and will, without batting an eyelid, pass the costs on to the consumer rather than absorb the additional costs.

Guaranteed that within ten years China will no longer be the red star state of cheap manufacturing as workers' salaries and conditions improve.

China will be become too expensive and the manufacturing companies will move their plants to another despot nation who prefer financial investment to uplifting the lives of their citizens.

5. Wupspups
    Trollface

What goes around comes around

Eventually China, Taiwan and other emerging nations workers salaries will eventually rise to such a point that production those nations is no longer economical. Production will then move to countries with cheaper labour. (No doubt by then UK will be classed as a third world nation with cheap labour.)

1. Ru

Re: What goes around comes around

The cycle has been going on for years... have a look at Japan for example. First 'made in Japan' meant cheap crap, then it meant mass produced consumer stuff, and nowadays I at least associate it with precision, high-tech stuff. Optics, robots, machine tools and the like. Taiwan is also going the same way, a little ahead of China but not by much. India will be next no doubt. Barring any economic catastrophe, neither China nor Taiwan will stop being manufacturing powerhouses any time soon... I don't see a whole lot of companies out there to replace the Foxconns and TSMCs of this world any time soon.

This won't have escaped the notice of the Chinese, who have been massively investing in African nations, and fully intend to be making a healthy profit when cheap manufacture starts becoming impractical in their country, but they're also well aware that this isn't going to happen for years yet.

6. Hooksie
    Mushroom

Sickening

We have lived for far too long on the backs of people who work for piss poor wages and in conditions that we wouldn't keep a rabid animal in. But at the same time, technology companies like Apple, HP and the like rake in BILLIONS in PROFIT, not earnings, not turn-over, PROFIT. And then when a few people get a pittance of a pay rise they threaten to move a manufacturing site or ut up prices? Utter nonsense.

Manufacturing is not just about the bottom line. Look at Mexico; the number of companies who left Mexico to move manufacturing to India because it cost less who have subsequently gone back because the quality of work is so much better there is unbelievable. UK companies who outsourced all sorts to India at Africa then had to come back to the UK for similar reasons. Just think how rich the US could be if all the manufacturing for Apple, HP, Dell etc was done there? It's a disgrace that we all pay for the profits of rich people off the back of poor people's cheap labour.

This whole global economy breeds inequality and ruthless cost cutting at the expense of human lives. Pisses me off no end.

1. ItsNotMe
      Thumb Up

Re: Sickening

+10 on that.

Problem is, most corporations world wide OWN the politicians they come in contact with...so as long as that stays as it is...and there is little chance it will EVER change...NOTHING is ever going to change.

The rich will get richer...and the poor will be used as their door mats.

Just glad I don't have any children to leave this mess to.

2. Ru
      Meh

"if all the manufacturing for Apple, HP, Dell etc was done [in the US]"

Then it would cost a hell of a lot more, wouldn't it? It is simply impossible to make iPad devices at iPad prices when dealing with 1st world wages, taxes and environmental constraints. No-one would be richer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "if all the manufacturing for Apple, HP, Dell etc was done [in the US]"

"Then it would cost a hell of a lot more, wouldn't it?"

Think about it.

Think about it for a bit longer than the average Sun reader might.

Think about it like Henry Ford did.

If there are more employees, and those employees are better paid, there are more possible customers for your product/service (assuming your product/service is of general interest and is not e.g. luxury speedboats or nuclear weapons).

If you make your local customers collectively poorer by moving their work abroad, then your local customers will eventually stop being your customers.

But by that time, the movers and shakers at HQ will have taken their "compensation" out of the company, and moved on to wreck another economy.

"No-one would be richer."

And in the current model, only the rich ("the 1%") get richer.

That's corporatism, globalisation, whatever.

It'll end in tears.

Come back Cadbury, Rowntree, Lever Brothers, and indeed Henry Ford.

7. b166er

Well they would say that wouldn't they.

An attempt to blackmail us into quieting down about the poor conditions at their manufacturers'.

8. Mr Young
    Go

I do wonder?

Maybe in the future the world will have a universal currency so buying something made in the UK would be the same price as buying something made in China. It might take another 100 years or so but it would seem to be a fair solution to me? Where would this leave all the currency traders though - burger van outside your work?

9. Gis Bun
    Devil

Ooooooh.........

I guess Apple doesn't want to divulge its plans. After all, everything from Apple [in hardware] is from Foxconn. I'm sure Apple has a dilema. If they don't increase the price for their gadgets and stuff, their profits will drop. If they do, they may get one or two less fanoi or fangurl buyers around the would not buying their stuff.

Of note, a place I know bought 3 systems. Made in China - assembled in Mexico.

Unlike Apple where probably everything is made and assembled in China.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy fix

Don't buy ANYTHING from companies that Foxconn supplies including but not limited to Microsucks, HP, Dell, Acer, Apple and many more. When their sales tank, these unscrupulous companies that use Chinese sweat shops will change to "Fire Sale" pricing and it won't take long for that to happen.

1. Paul Johnston
      WTF?

Re: Easy fix

Microsucks!

Microsoft?

Curious why a company whose major output is software would outsource to the Taiwanese hardware giant Foxconn.

Apologies if you meant some other company

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Easy fix

Microsoft hardware?

Mice? Xbox? Zune? Kinect? [etc]

1. Paul Johnston
          Thumb Up

Re: Re: Re: Easy fix

Cheers :-)

2. Piro Silver badge

Re: Re: Re: Easy fix

KYE makes a bunch of this stuff for Microsoft, mice and controllers, I believe. They also make their own "Genius" branded products.

I saw a piece about how miserable their lives were a while back.

11. Mikel
    Black Helicopters

HP and Dell have no margin to work with

So the right answer is for Apple to run up their labor costs as fast as possible and put them out of business.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vote with your wallet

If you care about human rights and decent working conditions for all - vote against Chinese slavery for huge CEO financial bonuses.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warning to HP and Dell

And here's my warning to HP and Dell...

We consumers are only buying your ugly, poor quality nasty plastic crap because it's cheap. Put the prices up and we will finally tire of you two jaded old corporate whores and simply buy elsewhere. Or maybe just do without.

14. Tony Paulazzo
    Mushroom

>However, according to Reuters, margins are so tight at the tech titans<

HP: 9.7 Billion dollars profit for 2011 fourth quarter

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/hp-releases-q4-earnings-9-7-billion-operating-profit-for-fisca/

DELL: In its Q1 fiscal 2012 year results, Dell's profits were up 177% to $945m

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/1280095905/Dell-posts-177-profit-boost-after-increasing-enterprise-sales.

That's profit people, not income! (and that includes HPs abortive tablet attempt). Cry me a fucking river. And some poor Chinese person gets another 5p an hour for working 120 hours (assumption: Citation needed), making us pay another 50 quid for their tat that dies just after the years warranty runs out - Monday morning, who needs it? EOL.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like