back to article Belkin Keyboard Folio case for iPad

The myth that the iPad is only for content consumption was debunked many moons ago. And this Belkin Keyboard Folio is as good an example as any of how the iPad, with a little help, can in some circumstances be a replacement for a laptop. The soft case folds up to make carrying keyboard and iPad together easy. Pairing it with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian McNee
    Stop

Amazing!

All we need now is to come up with a catchy name for this typo-touchy-techno-mashup! Err..."laptop"? Correction: overpriced underpowered walled-garden laptop.

Meh.

2. Andrew James

So i want something with a 10" screen, 1024x768 resolution, and a keyboard, and what i do is go out and buy a £400 iPad and a £100 keyboard to go with it.

How is this a good idea?

Dont get me wrong, i like the iPad. But surely this is just stupid.

1. spencer

£400 + £100

That bumps it into Transformer Prime price territory...

1. Andrew James

Re: £400 + £100

A quick look on amazon shows you can pick up a transformer prime for £449, with the keyboard.

I know, I know, its not an iPad, and its not iOS and its not got 10 gazillion dedicated apps etc, but ...

1. Ian McNee

Re: Re: £400 + £100

...and a Transformer Prime has a higher-res screen, faster quad core CPU and 32GB storage.

And it's cheaper than a 32GB iPhad 2.

And it has a gazillion real-world free apps that make sense on both tablets and laptops.

Overall a tricky choice really.

1. Bassey

Re: £100

How can they possibly justify this price? For £10 I got a USB keyboard case for my (£60) tablet. It's leatherette, provides excellent protection, I can type away happily on it, the function buttons are all programmable and it has cursor keys. In other words, it does exactly what this one does for one tenth of the price and, because it is USB, I don't have to keep it charged.

£100 is just criminal!

1. Tom 38

Re: Re: £100

Your £10 keyboard has a cable, doesn't integrate into a case, and doesn't allow the tablet to be angled appropriately. It may have only cost £10, but if you want those three features it would be a waste of £10.

This keyboard is bluetooth. Cheapest bluetooth keyboards are ~£20, good ones ~£50

The case looks to be well designed, providing a variety of stand positions and viewing angles. Good ipad cases range from £20 - £60, depending on the quality of the components - anything with real leather (sometimes even real imitation leather) will be towards the high end of that.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it - already have a nice case and bluetooth keyboard - but if I didn't, this looks like a good case.

If it gives you £100 of utility, then it is worth it. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. From your choice of tablet it would seem you value cost over quality.

1. Jedit Silver badge
                Stop

"From your choice of tablet it would seem you value cost over quality."

I think you're confused, Tom. He didn't say he owned an iPad.

1. Tom 38

Re: "From your choice of tablet it would seem you value cost over quality."

You actually think a £60 tablet is quality?

1. Jedit Silver badge
                    FAIL

"You actually think a £60 tablet is quality?"

No, Tom. But then, I was talking about the owner, not the tablet.

2. Bassey

Re: Re: Re: £100

"Your £10 keyboard has a cable, doesn't integrate into a case, and doesn't allow the tablet to be angled appropriately."

That's bizarre. I'm sat here with the case and, it would appear to the untrained eye, that I CAN adjust the viewing angle and it IS fully integrated into the case. It's ALMOST as if I can see the case and you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Seriously? Why would you comment telling me what MY case can and can't do you freak?

1. Tom 38

Re: Re: Re: Re: £100

Yep, my bad there. I read it as 'USB keyboard' and missed the very crucial thing about it also being a case. I was actually commenting that a USB keyboard vs a keyboard integrated into a case has downsides, and not about your keyboard in particular.

Nice to sneak in a personal insult at the end, but hey, I have an ipad, so I'm lucky to only be called a freak. Carry on.

3. Jon Lamb

Does onscreen keyboard stay on ...

... when typing? Thanks.

1. jai

Re: Does onscreen keyboard stay on ...

nope, at least not when i've used a bluetooth keyboard with mine

4. Euchrid

Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad

The above is also (Android version is also available) worth considering - basically, a very portable keyboard and cover, which doubles as an tablet stand. Can be had for £40 and I prefer the keyboard to any in the integrated cover ones.

1. James Pickett (Jp)
      Thumb Up

Re: Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad

Nice one Euchrid - I hit this page as I was running an internal debate about whether to get one integrated into a case, or a separate accessory. I'll only need it occasionally for longer documents and £100 does seem a bit much. Ordered me the Logitech!

5. Valerion

Dunno how good it is

But 7DayShop have one for about £13 with a Bluetooth keyboard. Might order one to see what it's like.

6. uhuznaa

I hate these things

The case is thick and heavy, if you don't need to carry the keyboard you have to wrestle the iPad out of the case (and put it into another one)... Just get a nice separate BT keyboard instead (even the really nice standard Apple BT keyboard *plus* a case is cheaper than that).

I can somewhat understand people doubting the advantages of this case over a netbook. But an iPad and a BT keyboard is a good option when you're travelling light. Use the keyboard when you have to do lots of writing, keep it in the bag otherwise.

1. Andrew James

Re: I hate these things

I'm not doubting the advantages over a netbook, i'm doubting the advantages, for the cost, over a netbook.

There *must* be something cheaper to achieve the same result. £100 seems very expensive, especially when, as has been said, you'll probably want a slimmer more lightweight sleeve/cover for the ipad when not wanting a keyboard to use with it.

If you are always carrying it around in its case with the keyboard, it is a netbook, but a £500 netbook, which its crazy.

7. Craig McGill 1

Disagree with the review

The keys are too close together to do any sort of decent typing and too soft when typing. I've found the Kengsington keyboard case to be a lot better.

Anyone thinking of a keyboard folio case should really try before they buy because your finger size does make such a difference - as does your preference for a style of keyboard.

But agree that they are a great thing. The people slagging it off are kinda missing the point - it's a very convenient laptop replacement for 90% of tasks. Instead of a laptop case/rucksack, I can carry an iPad and throw the charger in my pocket, which makes life a lot easier.

Also, if you do a 3 deal (I did the £260 option for the wifi/3G 32GB model) with 15GB a month for £25, it's a total winner. I needed two new laptop batteries - that would have been £200 for a MacBook Pro - and a 3G connection, which would have been (at least) £8-£10 a month. For a wee bit more, I got something lighter and a lot more convenient than a laptop.

(Having said that, would never have paid the full price upfront for an iPad.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like