back to article Samsung Series 9 skinny laptop priced for Blighty

Samsung's refreshed Series 9 laptop has been given a release date, with the compact notebook set to land on consumers' laps as early as next week. The second-generation Series 9 returns to the fray as the world's thinnest premium notebook, the company claims. Samsung Series 9 The unibody 13in device is just shy of 13mm in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. archengel46
    Thumb Up

Non-gloss!!!!

Hooray!

1. PeterM42
      Thumb Up

Re: Non-gloss!!!!

Hear! Hear! I recently bought a (significantly cheaper!!) Samsung laptop with non-reflective screen - ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! It is time all other manufacturers realised that glossy screens are a PAIN!

Judging by recent offerings, it looks like Samsung is now THE manufacturer of preference (especially since Dell started their downhill slide). Before anyone starts arguing about that - have you tried a "Dell" printer recently - AAARGGGGHHHH!!!!

2. DrXym

£1200

How do they keep their prices so low and still make a profit?

1. FartingHippo
      Alert

Re: £1200

It must be cheap labour, huge amounts of innovation, and wafer thin margins .... waaaaait a minute. HOW MUCH!!!

3. Anonymous Cowbard

What's the obsession with 'thinnest'?

Surely 'thin enough' is sufficient?

Presumably the engineering effort to make it thinnest has a bearing on price and for what - nobody cares that it's 0.1mm thinner than something else.

Just make it powerful enough, reasonably priced and not too heavy and it'll be fine.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: What's the obsession with 'thinnest'?

Amen. People are always criticising my smartphone for being a "brick". Erm...what? My original mobile phone came with a belt clip and could only text in upper-case, and an N series is a brick because it has a proper keyboard and a decent camera?

I couldn't give two shits if another phone is a few mm thinner - what does that gain me anyway? A more fragile device? If it's an extra 20g heavier, will my weak, crippled hands not be able to heft it all the way to my head?

No, of course not. It's just faddish elitism.

4. jungle_jim

thin

the thinner your laptop. the thicker your penis. (relatively)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory Apple Comparison

So exactly the same as the Air, except for .15mm and .15kg of "skinniness" for an extra £100 and I thought Apple stuff was supposed to be expensive!

6. Gadget Rage is BAD
    Facepalm

Good old Samsung

They bring out a Macbook Air ripoff at the same price band and expect it to just magically compete. Wheres the USP? The fact its not an Apple? Sorry Samsung, one of these days you need to learn that just piggybacking on Apples success you'll never be anything more than a "me to" company.

And to think that Apple is always accused of never innovating?

1. dogged
      Thumb Up

"The fact its not an Apple?"

Awesome. Sign me up.

And it looks nothing like an Air, unless everything which falls under "thin laptop" is an Air ripoff in your little world. Which it apparently is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like