back to article Moles say Sony eyeing AMD for PlayStation 4 chips

Sony seems set to switch graphical allegiances for its PlayStation 4 console after erstwhile AMD staffers hinted that the processor designer may be heavily involved in the next-generation console's development. The PlayStation 3 currently utilises GPU technology from graphics guru and AMD arch-rival Nvidia, former AMD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 5
    Thumb Up

makes sense

i haven't been keeping track as i used to, but i recall AMD used to be the better choice for gaming. If that's still true, that this move makes perfect sense.

I skipped the PS3, but might give the 4 a go if it's good.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irreverent

As what most gamers fail to realize, is that 90% of the PS3's graphical power is in the CELL CPU, which does GPU rendering in it's pipeline, the NVidia GPU is just there as a fancy framebuffer and doing done extra post-effects.

This is also the reason why most multi platform games fail to pull ahead of the Xbox, as they are hobbled by the traditional way of doing things.

It's also why the PS3 exclusives are better than anything else around, because they are written to modern way of game coding.

1. dotslash

Re: Irreverent

you forget that all consoles (including the PS3) have held back the graphical possibilities offered by a PC for long while now

2. Alex Walsh

Re: Irreverent

Yeah, Sony's horrendous architecture, started with the PS2, and continued with the PS3 pretty much hobbles the console. Console specific vanity projects with the time and money thrown at them do look as good as Xbox stuff though.

The future lies with portability though and I don't mean handhelds. Code than can be shipped from console to console to PC is the order of the day and for that, Sony needs a massive rethink.

3. Andy 70
    Trollface

in response to the annonymous troll at 13:32.

the ps3 gfx chip is based on the nvidia 7950gtx. and you're saying that the cell does the gpu stuff? if so, why did sony bother with the rsx at all and not just slap some cheap dacs on the memory bus?

honesty. go and tell your dad he's left his register account open and wipe the crayon of your chin.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Let me get this straight..

"Potentially disgruntled unidentified ex-employee of company A state company B may be looking at using Product A in creation of Product Z. Company C already users Company A's product in Product X gen2. However, in the past it used Company D's product in Product X gen1. Currently Company B user Product D in Product Z. It's possible that Company C may go back to Company D to supply Product D for Product X gen3.

However, neither companies B or C have made any kind of statement about which of A and D's devices they will use in their new products. So we really can't make any sort of judgement or even a guess based on this sourceless and unreliable speculation."

And people get paid to write this shit? Nice work if you can get it I suppose.

In other news, rumours coming out of a source deep within an associated organisation state that there is every possibility that the next Apple device will in fact not be a revision of the iPad, but an all new concept - the iTwat. Concept drawings from an artist unlinked to either company or the project at all has come up with something that looks... Actually.. he's just drawn a fleshlight. Fuck.. and I gave him a monkey for that too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like