back to article Third of Blighty stuck on snail-speed broadband

The UK government will have a tough time fulfilling its superfast broadband promises for the country with a third of British postcodes still stuck at sloth-like speeds. The country's average download speed is 6.742Mbit/s, but a third of houses are below 5Mbit/s, a quarter have less than 4Mbit/s and one in ten are crawling …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Efros
    Paris Hilton

El Reg units

I can see the need for a standardized broadband speed unit. Possibly the ONIP, a direct measure of how long it takes to download the SD version of One Night In Paris.

Paris, well who else could it have been?

1. Tom 38
      Stop

Re: El Reg units

There's an HD version?

Please tell my boss I have to urgently take the afternoon off for 'personal reasons'.

2. sugerbear

Slowest place in Britian...

For bog standard broadband (not Fibre), Hampton Vale in Peterborough rarely gets speeds of more than .5 Mbits. That is across the whole of the new estate, move across the road to Yaxley or Orton (nearer the exchange) and the speeds are back to normal. A very common complaint on the community website forums.

Quicker everyone gets Fibre to cabinet the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slowest place in Britian...

Fibre from home/office to cabinet is all well and good, but its copper from cabinet round these parts causing our bottlenecks.

Headquarters has recently paid for upgrading our office's link to fibre because of the speed complaints.

Increase in speed? None what so ever. Waisted my breath telling them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The slowest place is wrong

I wish I got 1.11Mbit at home... more like 800Kbit/s, when there's no wind.

Thank god 3G works and long live Three One Plan!

1. Disintegrationnotallowed

Re: The slowest place is wrong

I live out in the country so no 3G, and speeds of 750k, but I knew that when I moved here recently! I have no idea how BT would get me a superfast connection, they had to run 250m of cable to get me the broadband/phone line I have! God only knows where the nearest exchange actually is.

I assume the government are hoping to make it for 95% of the population or something to meet targets.

1. Andrew 59
        Stop

Re: Re: The slowest place is wrong

Ingleton in County Durham struggles to get over 200kbps. Usually it's between 110 and 130kbps.

And they say this is a civilised country :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I live 5 miles away from Newcastle city centre and barely get 1Mbit. I can download files faster by just cycling to work.

Good exercise, but It's truly pathetic.

1. Refugee from Windows
            Pint

Alternatives

Surely a USB pen drive on a pigeon's leg would be quicker up there. Didn't they used to fly backwards to avoid getting the smoke in their eyes or something.

Broon Ale, alas not even brewed in Gateshead, ruddy Tadcaster!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Alternatives

I have suggested the use of RFC1149 for data transfer from one of our other offices.

2. Todge

Re: Re: Re: The slowest place is wrong

Down near Helston in Cornwall, a flagship 'superfast area'.

192kbs on a good day.

Very frustrating

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Perhaps more people would have better broadband if OpenReach rolled out FTTC to areas that need it first, as opposed to those areas that are already served by VM. And a number of new estates are being missed because VM don't serve them either, even though the surrounding area has FTTC rolled out.

1. annodomini2

I agree with the principle, however...

It's no good for BT's market share figures.

2. Jonathon Green
      Holmes

Kevin Saunders: "Perhaps more people would have better broadband if OpenReach rolled out FTTC to areas that need it first, as opposed to those areas that are already served by VM"

Perhaps more people would have better broadband if VM rolled out anything anywhere that's not already served by them. It's easy enough to criticise BT for their rollout strategy but they seem to be the only people who are putting *anything* in the ground (or up the poles, or whatever..) - VM don't even seem to be "infilling" holes in the areas they do cover, let alone extending their coverage...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't disagree, but VM is a private network (yes, I know they sell access to the mobile networks), whereas OpenReach is reselling network access to fixed line ISPs. Also, VM does not have access to public funds, which OpenReach does (not huge amounts, admittedly) , but there is BDUK money about

5. Jess--

it would be nice if BT would finish rolling out 21cn to allow some increase over adslmax

if they would do that it would give me roughly double my current speed

1. Z80

More than 5 years after the ADSL Max upgrade, my exchange was recently upgraded to 21CN. Sync speed has doubled to about 16Mbps.

According to my ISP's exchange checker this service isn't available yet - I just happened to look on the SamKnows one and saw the activation date there. Take a look there if you haven't already.

2. Da Weezil

My exchange was mentioned as 7th slowest on the list on the BBC site... Right now we would settle for the VPs being sorted to resolve jokes like the 101Kbps bt speedtest I recorded last night, I know several exchanges in this county that have hot Vps but BT are not inclined to fix them, and we have no way to raise a complaint except through our ISPs (who can do nothing on a 20cn market one exchange) oh and get OFCOM to "record" a complaint... remind me... what the hell is that regulator for? - apart from presiding over a skewed system where people like me have to pay almost as much for half decent 30 gig peak upto 8 meg ADSL service as we would for 30 gig upto 40 Meg Fibre service.

You couldn't make this stuff up..

If it was my ISP that was causing the issues that would be one thing.. but with BT they hide away refusing to talk to the end user and expect us to just keep stumping over the odds for a lousy service. Its time the pricing reflected the lack of investment on 20cn exchanges.

6. Jon Smit
    Headmaster

Yawn

Is it time to give this subject a rest? It used to come up about twice a year, now it's twice a month. Everyone knows signal strength reduces the further the receiver is from the transmitter. That was true for the first radio signals and it's exactly the bloody same for broadband.

If people choose to live out in the sticks, they can expect to have problems, be it with broadband or mobile phones. Fixing the problem takes time and money. Only 10 years ago, most homes were stuck with dialup speeds - even in the cities. In that time we've seen numerous new technologies appear, currently it's this 21Mb BT offering - in another couple of years it'll be something faster. Most of us don't really need a 21Mb connection - those that do should move.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn

"If people choose to live out in the sticks, they can expect to have problems"

In this country, I guess. I live 5 miles from a major UK city centre and get 1Mbit on good days. Is that the sticks?

Friends of mine have a house in the Algarve, near the beach away from civilisation and they get fibre to the home! Things could be a lot better here.

Also I find it very unfair that I pay the same, both in line rental and broadband service, as people who get the full 24Mbit.

1. Jon Smit
        WTF?

Re: Re: Yawn

"...I find it very unfair that I pay the same..."

Are you suggesting they should pay more? Do you also believe those who live in the Scottish Highlands should pay more for their post because of where they live ?

2. AndrueC Silver badge
        Meh

>Also I find it very unfair that I pay the same, both in line rental and broadband service, as people who get the full 24Mbit.

Well it is more difficult to get the service to you. At the end of the day you're paying to have your phone line plugged into a socket at the exchange just like everyone else. The cost to the ISP is the same for all sockets. The only difference in running costs would be that your line probably burns more electricity because it takes more power to 'push' the signal through.

So basically:We're all paying the same price and it's harder to provide you with a service. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that you don't get the same quality of service as someone living closer to the exchange.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Re: Yawn

"probably burns more electricity because it takes more power to 'push' the signal through."

That's completely wrong on so many levels.

Also ignores all the upstream bandwidth the ISP saves by only having to supply <1Mbit to me. Less upstream bandwidth = lower costs.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AndrueC Silver badge
            Thumb Down

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yawn

It might do. Longer lines are more likely to need higher power levels I'd have thought. I doubt it makes much difference though which is why I said we all get plugged into the same kind of socket.

But you're definitely wrong about bandwidth. ISPs don't supply bandwith to you. They supply bandwidth to the exchange. Data from the lines themselves is aggregated within the exchange and an individual line's contribution is irrelevant. Whoever is managing the backhaul, core network and transits just looks at the totals and decides whether they are happy with the contention levels or not.

An individual can be a problem if they use their line heavily at peak times but a 2Mb/s line used flat out throughout the evening is more of a nuisance than a 24Mb/s line used sporadically. The faster line allows for larger bursts of traffic so unless you're streaming it means you're not using the network as much. Same as with any I/O - shorter larger bursts is more efficient than a continuous low speed dribble.

But ultimately I imagine there's just nothing in it no matter how you look at it. All DSL lines are plugged into the same kind of socket with the same kind of costs to the ISP. Long lines, short lines it just doesn't make any difference. Your line performs according to the laws of the physics and since almost no xDSL ISP in the UK owns the telephone line there's nowt they can do about it. Even if they could do something - why should they spend more money on a longer line if the user is paying the same as someone on a shorter line?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This problem is not limited to people who live 'in the sticks'.

I live on a newish (a few years old) estate in a large town but can only get ~1.5Mbps on a really good day (usually < 1Mbps).

The problem (as pointed out in a previous comment) is that BT are rolling out their fastest tech where Virgin have their cable infrastructure to compete with them.

Any area that cannot get Virgin is unlikely to be able to get BT FTTC products as BT have a captive market.

1. Semaj
        Thumb Down

More than likely you have the same problem I do. New big area - practically a whole new town but rather than building a new exchange they just put in really long lines all the way to the city centre.

2. Lallabalalla
        Unhappy

I get about the same in London

N8 to be precise, where it varies between 1 and 3.5 Mbps depending on... well, who knows? That's when it's connected to the ISP (BT) *and* the servers are responding to requests, not sitting there idly chuckling at my hopeless attempts to do something radical like read a webpage.

We have "fibre to the cabinet" here. This is great if you want to pay a bloody fortune for basic web access. It's not that important to everyone you know. I'd be quite happy with the advertised 5-odd (ie "up to" 8 hahaha) I'm supposed to get but never do, and I have more important things to buy than 21Mbps broadband - like did you know a kid's haircut can cost £16 these days (I *did* say I live in N8 LOL)

It's one thing to make it available. It's quite another to price it within reach of the majority of people. It's something else again to actually PROVIDE WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE PAYING FOR IN THE FIRST EFFING PLACE </rant>

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apart from the OP being a bit of a townie shitbag (Not everyone can afford to live in a town or afford to move. Or had that fact passed him by?)

I live in the sticks (I mean really) and get between 7and 8MBits/s.

So up yours. Move out to Norfolk Jon mMit, you know it makes sense.

1. Jon Smit
        FAIL

I don't live in a town. I live out in the sticks and I'm not whinging about my connection.

7. micheal
    FAIL

PE32 2**

between Fakenham and Dereham, no BB at all, only dial up

and 130K plus line noise

8. CowardlyAndrew

And in the blindingly obvious news category this press release wins.

Obviously a lot of places are going to be below average, and Ofcom has even published data showing similar speed spreads, and BT released data back in 2006 showing similar numbers.

9. WanderingFool
    FAIL

Superfast across the UK?

They can't even get superfast broadband to all of London. Instead we're told

"At his time, there are no immediate plans to extend the network into new

areas if this requires main build - as this is very expensive."

It Greenwich. We're not out in the sticks here. Yet, sadly, no fibre, and speeds trundling along at 4 megs on a good day.

1. organum
      Unhappy

Re: Superfast across the UK?

You should be so lucky in Greenwich !

In North Woolwich next to City Airport we have 1meg download and no prospect of anything faster unless we go with Virgin.

This is a modern estate of over 700 dwellings.

10. heyrick Silver badge

Rural France

After >4km of twisted pair installed in the 60s, I get 2mbps. I'm not complaining, an equivalent place in the UK would likely never get broadband.

I grew up with dial-up and BBSs. I don't need instant gratification, I just fire up the download and then do something else while it comes in...

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Rural France

Although iPlayer at 0.5fps is a bit of a struggle to watch.....

2. Steven Jones

That's a pretty idiotic comment. The laws of physics are the same in France as they are in the UK, as is the technology. Getting 2Mbps over 4km of copper twisted pair is not exceptional. In fact it's rather poor. I get about 4.5Mbps on a line of similar length back in the UK.

1. heyrick Silver badge

@ Steven Jones

Idiotic comment? I quoted my length and speed, plus I have friends in Wales in a similar sized village (<300) for whom upgrading to ADSL is a maybe-someday. I said nothing about the laws of physics. Maybe your faster speed is helped by newer wiring? The stuff here is *ancient*, and I'm sure you'll understand such things as oxidation, how insulation might degrade in, oh, fifty-odd years, etc etc.

3. Tom 38

My old boy's house is ~6km as the crow flies from his (insanely rural) exchange in Suffolk, and gets a good 3.5Mbit, good enough for HD iplayer some of the time, he runs a vodafone suresignal over it as well, as well as Skype and Facetime, no bother.

His place in the Alps is ~2km up the mountain from the town + exchange, and yet there he only gets 0.5 Mbit, which is just about enough to load the weather forecast - forget skype.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long?

Has whichever Government in power been promising improvements in this? Yet nothing is done.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: How long?

Not quite nothing.

Teh Govermint is promising 2MB/s and a chicken in the pot for everyone!

Most places already get a nominal 2MB/s, even if it's not close to that in practice.

Target achieved! No more needs to be done - except more PR - and everything is perfectly fine already.

Obvious, innit.

12. smudge
    Unhappy

One in ten < 3Mbps?

Suspect it may be more than that. On the edge of St Albans I get about 2.7Mbps, and a BT engineeer told me "that's pretty good for round here". I know it's even slower on another - more recent - estate on the opposite side of town.

Yes I know I shouldn't generalise from my own experience, but....

13. Keith Oborn

Where do they get this data?

I am sitting on the edge of a village (Bramley), only just over a mile from the edge of Basingstoke. I am 3 miles from both BT and Virgin Media national backbone fibre routes. less than 2 miles from here are the UK headquarters of a number of major telco equipment manufacturers.

No-one in our area (several thousand households) can get more than 2Mb, and for most (like me) 512k is the limit - and that required considerable attention from helpful local BT guys before it was stable.

This is due to historical accident, the BT local loops head off to a distant rural exchange. Nothing can be done, the area is "not economic" to upgrade, and doesn't appear on the radar as "remote rural" so won't get any grant assistance.

Last September I stayed in a remote B+B on the western tip of Skye - 15 miles by single track road from the nearest small town. 8mbit/sec.

Somehow the powers that be need to be made to understand that there is a "micro-climate" problem, and broad-brush "deprived rural area" approaches are a waste of money.

14. Morphius
    Pint

Max speeds are one thing...

How about boosting the capacity of the networks too. I live in a rural location and at midday would enjoy 6Mb on an 8Mb line, come home and run the speed test in the evening / night and have been frequently given less than 1Mb.

Out of interest, how are these figures calculated? Is it purely the best that can be seen with the wind in the right direction and the nearby pub offering free booze and food to tempt everyone away from their connection for an hour or two whilst they are tested?

I imagine that if you created these figures at 7-8pm across an average of 3 week nights then the UKs average would be an even sadder place!

(beer, just because I mentioned a pub)

15. mgq
    FAIL

Virgin Media - Insulting advertising

Frankly, it doesn't matter what the advertised speed is, if the ISPs infrastructure isn't up to it. Virgin Media is completely oversubscribed in the area we live in and in the evenings we suffer up to 60% packet loss and speeds as low as 0.15mbps. Virgin Media have basically said they can't be bothered to do anything as essentially not enough people have complained, because they're all apathetic students.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Virgin Media - Insulting advertising

Perhaps Virgin's current speed is due to apathetic students in the area. They're not bothered, they'll just leave BitTorrent 24/7.

16. dotdavid
    Facepalm

Superfast, ultrafast, super-ultrafast, ultra-super-mega-fast...

Given the presumed ever-increasing speeds of internet-connection technologies, do you think it's wise to use terms like "superfast" and "ultra-fast" to describe your broadband services?

Or has the Marketing Department taken over completely?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much ado about nothing?

33% with less than 5Mbs and 25% with less than 4Mbs and the mean is 6.742Mbs? Even though I didn't pay much attention in my GCE Statistics course 35 years ago, that sounds similar to a Gaussian distribution to me.

When you think about the population distribution across the UK, we do not live uniformly grey cities, with not a soul living in between. We live in a mixture of cities, large and small towns, large and small villages and isolated communities.

Judging by the broadband statistics, we can assume that almost as many people live outside large towns and cities as those who live in them. No surprise there then.

Whoever wrote the report either has a lot of time on their hands or is tying to justify their existence. We all know the only way to increase the mean and tighten the variance of the distribution is to spend a lot of money upgrading infrastructure or to move all those living in the sticks into the towns.

18. StrictlySocial

OK, how about East Finchley (not on BT 'not quite so infinity' and no VM) getting 3.5. That is 3.5MB in London!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"That is 3.5MB in London"

Why should London be special ?

2. Archibald Trumpetbeetle

Ha, I get 2mb in Tooting/Earlsfield, SW london

That's all O2 said they can do, because I think it's Wimbledon exchange our line is one, but that must be a good mile and a half away at least.

19. itzman

The slowest places in Britain

Are where there is no broadband available at all. And its about 24k over a modem.

The actual cost of underwriting even a guaranteed 1Mbs service EVERYWHERE would one feels be not that great.

20. amanfromearth

Science will fix it

What we need is a better Neutrino detector. Then use NeutrinoNet for transmission.

If they can travel through 750km of rock at light speed, then surely no problems for home broadband..

21. Challo
    Facepalm

Slowest Place in Britain?

Croxteth Park in Liverpool never gets above 512k!

I’m thinking about trading my PC for a carrier pidgin!!

1. Jon Smit
      Joke

Croxteth Park in Liverpool never gets above 512k!

Isn't that the exchange that's held up on 4 bricks ?

22. Boggy B
    Unhappy

In Plymouth I get about 2.8Mb/s.

... of course this is shared between 6 students.

I would talk about how much the 'super-fast' speeds are exaggerated, but who hasn't already?

23. llodge
    Unhappy

Wildly Optimistic

I would think these figures are wildly optimistic even at these low averages.

We have fibre into our building now, for isdn30, but no hope of using for broadband for the foreseeable future.

24. Martin an gof Silver badge

Not all BT's fault

Anecdotally I find that a good speedup can often be had on ADSL simply by sorting out the internal premises wiring. We live perhaps 3km from the ("rural", BT-only) exchange in a straight line, probably double that by cable as there's a hill in the way. Our ADSL1 sync speed (which of course bears little relation to the actual download speed) is rarely under 6Mbps while neighbours are on 5Mbps or less. The difference? Our modem is connected directly to the master socket using a replacement splitter faceplate. A lesser difference (given that the splitter is good) is that extension telephones are wired in Cat.5 so there's less spurious noise.

An aquaintance was very pleasantly surprised when he moved his modem from the back of the house at the end of standard telephone extension wiring to the front of the house near the master socket. Of course it did mean installing network cable to the computers which stayed at the back, but the well-over 1Mbps sync speed increase was worth it he thought.

M.

25. pakman

The BBC Click program featured the South Cambridgeshire village of Orwell in an item about broadband provision a few weeks ago. They were getting ADSL speeds of 200Kbps on a good day. This is just a few miles outside Cambridge, which is supposed to be a centre of technology, not on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. I live in a neighbouring village that uses the same exchange at Harston, and the final push for me to switch to cable was the fact that last September's list of exchanges for upgrading featured 5 in the immediate Cambridge area, but not this one. That was after the village had been cut off several times by copper thieves digging up the cable. At least I had a choice. Other people aren't so lucky.

I think that the nearby district council of Uttlesford has the right idea: http://www.fibrewifi.com/ . By the time that Cinderella exchanges like Harston are upgraded, technology will have moved on.

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Steve Martins
    Thumb Down

*(up to) snail speed more like

According to those statistics, i think i fall in the 3.2MB/s category, because that is what i get, when it works right. Of course thats only about 5% of the time, other times struggle to get a tenth of that! I wonder what the true snal speeds would be like if we actually got rid of the "Up To" prefix for real?

28. 2-Part Return

It wouldn't be so bad if living in an area with low speed didn't mean paying more than people who get a faster speed elsewhere.

Where I come from, the exchange has no unbundled providers, which means firstly that you don't qualify for a lot of offers such as x months free with Sky, and secondly you have to pay an extra monthly tenner on the advertised price because it costs the ISP to resell BT's bandwidth.

Somehow though, using BT directly still works out more expensive.

29. NB

meh

I live near the center of Cambridge and between the hours 6pm and 10pm we're lucky to get a download rate of more than 60kb/s, it's bloody pathetic.

30. Alister

My thoughts on this are:

1/ it doesn't matter what the headline speed is, if there is massive contention or traffic shaping on your broadband. If I run speedtests from my house, I get between 5 and 6 Mb/s on a regular basis, and the reported synch speed is 6.2Mb/s. However, on most evenings, I am unable to stream a program on BBC iPlayer, even on the lowest bandwidth setting.

The government should be shouting about improving backend infrastructure, not offering some meaningless figure plucked from the air as a minimum "speed".

2/ Where I live, we are STILL on a non-LLU exchange, so we have no option but to go with BT. Despite all the pretty leaflets I get through the door from Virgin, I can't take advantage of them - or any other provider. The first goal of the government policy should be to get every exchange unbundled, so at least people can choose a provider. Surely increased competition will drive provision of services.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd love to have a faster speed than my 5mbit

But with harddrive prices still being so high there's not much point, where would I store all those *ahem* linux ISOs I could download in seconds rather than minutes...

32. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I thought 1.1mbs as "slowest" was *way* too high

Looks like I was right.

Because if it *was* OFCOM would be close to declaring "job done" on this.

Note Both *main* service providers comes out of this pretty poorly.

VM don't seem to fill in gaps in their coverage so one neighbor get the *choice* of high speed, other does not. But perhaps given the sort of *contention* claims people are making that's just as well. Of course weather or not VM are upgrading their back haul infrastructure (as they *should*) before their next round of marketing is another matter.

While BT seem to upgrade *only* where VM are a presence and stuff their existing subscribers.

Note both companies are behaving like b***ards for perfectly understandable business reasons. The question is what (or who) can exert pressure on them to behave better?

Customers switching? Might make a bit of difference if you're a BT BB user and switch to AN Other as the cash goes to BT Openreach, but what if you already moved?

OFCOM. Do they have *anyone* who understands the technology to understand *why* people are p***ed off at the BS claims people make?

Other BB suppliers (or even perhaps local groups of *subscribers*).

Bottom line as long as *only* BT or VM lay actual cable to someones *door* they are the only *real* players in the game. It's low margin, high effort but *absolutely* essential and frankly they both inherited their infrastructure and have had a pretty easy time of it.

33. b166er

In Paisley, at a business centre, we get 2.8 if we're lucky.

Even when we do get 2.8, the modem rarely holds the connection long enough, so the IP profile never has a chance to stabilise at that speed (it takes 7 days).

Basically it's piss poor and we all know who to blame.

34. John 150
    FAIL

Slowest village?

Erm, my village (Sheldon in the Peak District National Park) has an average speed of 0.986Mbps according to our recent survey of all the properties with internet access.

http://www.sheldonvillage.org.uk/broadband.html

35. mrfill
    Happy

Another stickie

In the wilds of North Suffolk, BT recent upgrade means a nice steady 17.5Mbps. And I can get freeview HD, better vegetables, cheaper housing, no traffic jams and lovely scenery so I couldnt give a tinkers cuss about a few moaning Londoners.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another stickie

Wanker :-)

36. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

Meh!

I could be on a 40mbit down, 10mbit up connection right now. Unfortunately for the price I wish to pay BT's the only one offering what I want. But it's BT. Complete with their throttling and capping and generally just awful company attitude as a whole. I'll stick with Be for the time Be'ing thanks.

37. N2

Mais, ici c'est rapide...

This just shows what a joke BT is,

Despite living in very rural France, we get perfectly acceptable broadband speeds of about 6.8Mb/s & 0.85Mb/s on the up & good ping times on very similar technology.

& cable in 2-3 months time

38. Me :D
    Alert

Slowest place in England? It just isn't

Hi all,

Just wanted to say the place mentioned in the article is perhaps the slowest recorded place in England however it is not the actual slowest place. If you want to find the slowest, try West Bergholt in Colchester, Essex. I provide technical support services to many of the residents there and frankly, if you get 1Mbps you have a fast connection, many don't reach 750Kbps.

Just thought I'd add my tuppence :)

Simon.

1. Tom 38

Re: Slowest place in England? It just isn't

West Bergholt is also one of the most prestigious villages in that area, lying as it does in unspoilt Dedham Vale, in the heart of Constable country.

It doesn't seem incongruous to me that if you choose to live in a rural idyll, you don't get the services that are available in more developed areas. A few miles from West Bergholt are areas that have excellent network connectivity.

People need to think of internet provision as an attribute of a house, just like they do for proximity to good schools etc. You don't move next to the shittest comprehensive in the county and then complain about the quality of local education.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Stephen Fry said it was fine back home...

The post is required, and must contain letters.

40. Gradivus

There is something very seriously wrong with the UK's "Broadband Industry"

There is something very seriously wrong with the UK's "Broadband Industry"

I pay for an "up to 24Mbps" service.

I've bought the "latest and greatest" modem.

If I stand up I can see the telephone exchange outside my window.

I get 7.45Mbps.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you dont know the meaning of slow...

I recently tried setting up my brother's tv and computer to stream from his WiFi connection and found that his downstream connection peaked at 137kbs between 3pm and 11pm.

This is on a "up to 20Mbps" line less than 3 miles from Truro city centre and less than half a mile from Cornwalls biggest hospital and one of its biggest colleges.

I was getting 291kbs from my mobile phone with only one bar signal at the same time.

Both BT and his operator say this is down to him being at the end of the line, this seems to me that they have not terminated the line properly and can't be arsed to fix it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like