back to article Google tidies up iPhone apps for Macworld

As the Macworld show starts in San Francisco Google has speeded up its iPhone applications, as well as improving its customised homepages and providing quick links to users' favourite Google applications. Google has long endorsed the idea of online applications, and until the iPhone SDK becomes available (due in February) the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phone browsers

Hardly surprising, using the default browser on my N93 is a huge pain in the arse. All I want is to type a bloody url in and hit 0 until the cr symbol pops up. Half the time I finish typing in a URL only to realise its dumped me back at the bloody bookmark search thing and the other half of the time I hit cr and end up God knows where. And the whole backwards navigation thing is also crap. Still pages look good in widescreen mode (apart from f'in Google who insist on giving me their "totally useless page for small screened phones from the 90s").

/flame off

2. Edward Pearson

Bring it on!

Bring out the grammar Nazis!!

3. Tom

How do you know who's using the internet more?

Both the iPhone and Nokia phones use versions of the safari browser, so unless you're digging quite deep, its hard to know who is visiting what.

4. Chris McFaul
    Stop

I dont believe you

"Google saw more hits from iPhones than any other device"

so more than from PCs?

or do you mean "Google saw more hits from iPhones than any other mobile device"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Plus, I ditch the phone's browser and use Opera Mini..

I'd love to see Google identify that I was using Opera Mini on a SE W880...

6. Joe K

@Tom

Its hardy digging deep, every browser in the world reports the operating system, as well as info like the screen resolution and other bits, in every page request.

There really is nothing to touch the browsing on the Iphone/Touch at the moment. Trying another mobile afterwards is like trying to use an old text browser (remember Lynx?) wearing boxing gloves,

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"On Christmas Day Google saw more hits from iPhones than any other device."

Just shows that iPhone users had found no better use for such a marvellous device than sit Googling all day....... must be a truly spellbinding bit of kit!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Data Tariffs

I think the most likely reason for the large number of hits from iPhones is the fact that they all come with an "unlimited" data tariff.

I know I would use my N95 for browsing more if I had a decent amount of MB bundled, but at the moment I baulk at paying a reasonably large amount of money to get that. Especially as I couldn't then use it as a modem for my laptop when I do have that with me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like