back to article Fujitsu flaunts Tegra 3 for future phones

Fujitsu aims to blow the roof off Mobile World Congress (MWC) next week when it formally launches its latest smartphone, which packs the five-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor - the best a man can get. The quin-blade razor five-core handset has yet to be officially named, but Fujitsu has followed competitors' suits and prematurely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. the-it-slayer
    Mushroom

Whaaa?

"A long battery life has been promised too, although details on just how long it'll let you talk to people are unknown."

Have they not tested this yet? Seems like a smelly, rotten part to this phone where it'll probably only last 1 - 2 hours max. Or the five cores will make the phone go boom! Go ahead and promise.

1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)
      Thumb Down

Re: Whaaa?

Whether they have tested this or not is unclear, although one would think that this far along the process of developing any new hardware, this would have been tested. All the article says is that we have not been told.

1. jai

Re: Re: Whaaa?

you mean, "one would hope"

and also, you hope that they engineers don't consider 45 minute talk time to be more than adequate and these days everyone charges their phones while driving, at home and at the office so who's going to need more?

sometimes, the people who design and make technology aren't very well versed in the ways that the technology is used by normal people in the real world

2. BillG
      FAIL

Re: Whaaa?

ICS supports hardware acceleration. On some Tegra 2 systems, this shows a dramatic increase in battery life.

But the real problem with Tegra is that NVIDIA is awkwardly stingy in allowing phone manufacturers to supply drivers for developers. Annoys developers and hurts phone sales.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Re: Whaaa?

Oh really?

I think you'll find the actual purchases who give a damn about that are <1%

In other words although it matters to you it counts diddly squat for their sales.

Sorry dude you're just not that important.

2. JDX Gold badge

Isn't the point of the T3 that it will last a long time for being a phone, but go flat very fast if you play games?

3. Code Monkey

"A long battery life"

With five cores I'd be surprised if it lasted past lunchtime

1. tmTM

Technically

The 5 cores can be shut down to just one core running at a paltry 500Mhz so when it's not being pushed it should have a decent life.

If you decide to fire up a graphics hungry game or start streaming video over the net you're probably on your own tho.

4. jai

is it necessary?

5-cores? is that really necessary? or is just like buying a sports car with a massively loud engine, reassuring for the less-well-endowed geek...

1. P. Lee
      Go

Re: is it necessary?

Depends if you can push the screen up onto the telly (widi?) or projector, connect a BT keyboard and things like that.

With 5-core tablets coming out I'd expect to see android productivity apps appearing, as Apple have done already.

In that case, it might be a portable computer as well as a phone, rather than a 4-core on-the-train gaming machine, though it could be both.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Efficiency out of the window

I'm waiting for 32 cores, 64 gig of RAM, 256GB storage and a 64 mega pixel camera.

Because all of the above will mean I have more friends and will be able to talk to them all so much better on my phone.

If the PS3 and XBox 360 prove anything it is that you can squeeze a lot out of existing hardware if you have to. It's 6 year old hardware doing what are still impressive things. It's just a shame that phones seem to get software that is becoming worse and worse.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Efficiency out of the window

The console comparison is a good one - I suppose even better would be to look at the Nintendo DS, etc... these are now several years behind the curve for smartphones.

The problem is, mobile phones thrive on apps, and a huge number of app developers have appeared who are not amazingly good/experienced. On consoles, it takes a few years to learn all the tricks and app developers won't invest that time to sell a $0.79 app!

6. min

nothing wrong with 5 cores...

..they're mostly idle unless needed..

7. LaeMing
    Happy

I'm now eagerly waiting

for this chip to go into TrimSlice-like devices. I have little use for a fancy phone, but a lot of use for a few reasonably-grunty but power-sipping home-server appliances.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HOT

So much in fact you'll have to hear gloves during a call

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like