back to article Proview offers Apple peace talks amid Shanghai iPad ban bid

In a predictable move, Asian monitor minnow Proview has decided that it is in fact now ready to hold talks with Apple over the IPAD trademark dispute which threatens to throttle global supplies of Cupertino’s shiny fondleslab. As Shanghai's Pudong district court prepares to decide whether to accede to Proview’s request and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, since Proview is still listed on the exchange

Maybe Mr Cook will open the checkbook and do a spot of share-buying. He'd then acquire some acreage of land in China. A subsequent announcement that they were thinking of building their own factories would be useful in negotiations with Foxconn.

2. RachelG

Brazil

How quickly can they get the Brazil plant up and running?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brazil

In Brazil.. Oh it depends on:

1) How sunny it is - too warm forget it, just grab a "choupinho" instead.

2) If the Carnival is close

3) How many politicians have yet to receive their "comission"

Seriously now, the Brazil plant is simply to supply the internal market without the eye-watering import duty and taxes. They just do final aasemly anyway. All a show for Brazilian politicians.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brazil

Have you ever tried to get anything done in Brazil? It'd have to be made from Brazillian components, designed by a brazillian and transported only using Brazillian petrol.

Then there are the scores of backhanders that'd be required.

Even getting a work visa when you're one of two people in the world who can fix the problem (and stop a brazillian company haemorrhaging money) is an utter pain in the arse.

Basically.... unless you can mega-bribe your way around their laws and 'customs' you stand no chance. Now Peru or Chile? THAT would be interesting. Or maybe Columbia- Apple like their shiny-backed things and Columbia's most famous export goes well with mirrors (and razor blades)...

3. SJRulez

Nice to see Apple getting stuffed in trademark\copyright war for once.

1. John Molloy

Shame it has no actual basis in fact.

"Tech titan faces tablet knockout in dozens of China's cities"

This thing is garnering a lot of publicity as the press would love to talk this up. But up until now it has managed to pull 45 iPads from the shelves. 45. So lots of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

This is all hype and bluster and the press are lapping it up.

4. Tim Worstal

Not entirely sure

that the money is being sought by CEO Yang Rongshan to prop up his failing firm, which was declared bankrupt in 2010

I think it's Yang Rongshan who was declared bankrupt. Not the company. Bankrupt companies tend not to have share listings you see....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ASUS Transformer

Is absolutley brilliant and Urinates all over the iPad.

Shiny fruity tech is now obsolete!

1. hexx

Re: ASUS Transformer

Obviously off topic!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

You sound kind of desperate to be spamming a completely unrelated thread.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: ASUS Transformer

Who knows. Maybe the Asus Transformer can also transform into a butt-ugly cathode-ray-tubed iMac-alike.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not sure if I'm interested in an urinating tablet, but thanks for letting us know the Transformer suffers from bladder control issues.

Also explains why it has random reboot issues, with all that conductive pee around... Is the promised fix going to be nappies?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news for Taiwan

Nothing to do with Apple, but if Proview is granted the rights of the name iPad in China, it implies that Taiwan is not part of China and therefore an independent country!

I am not sure Beijijn in following this with the right attention.

7. Wang N Staines
    Trollface

I hope they ban the iPad in China soon, they don't deserve to use such magical devices. Peasants!

1. Danny 14

aye

and if an export ban is produced then very few people will be buying more.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cupertino hopes the Guangdong High Court will see sense..."

Eh? That patent is valid in their territory!

1. g e

Edit

Cupertino hopes the Guangdong High Court will see American sense

1. JetSetJim
        Coat

Re: Edit

Cupertino hopes the Guangdong High Court will see American cents

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Patent?

Trademark.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Patent? You're not very bright are you?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It looks to me as though

you could buy Proview and settle its debt for around $10million

Bargain!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It looks to me as though

Their debt is more in billion territory. Why do you think the're asking for 2 bil?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why do you think the're asking for 2 bil?

To buy iPads?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't know if anyone has said this yet

Apple,

Just change the name of your product.

Not that big of a deal.

Proview.

Sent from my CECT P168

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wouldn't it end up being iProview? Someone should trademark iApple just for the hell of it ....

Oh, and a trademark database search for iPad also reveals a Siemens trademark.

The Taiwan / China question is interesting though: if Taiwan is merely a wayward province of the mainland, then when Taiwan grants a trademark it's binding throughout the entire country of China under any reasonable legal system. For a court to determine otherwise 'simply' confirms that China views Taiwan as a separate, democratic, independent and respected member of the world community.

1. Andrew Norton

not really

It could consider it a 'wayward province' but without the authority to do as it claims, such as grant TM rights. Or that any such rights are valid for that province only, just like how in the US, state law only applies to that state.

12. Friendly Neighborhood Yank

No fan of Apple, but....

I am no fan of Apple, but this is extortion. Apple made the deal, and bought the rights - anything held in reserve was a trick at best, and the worst kind of legal wrangling in all likely hood. However, China will have to tread carefully here. Everyone knows IP theft is rampant, reverse engineering other's products is SOP, and "third shifting" the manufacturing line is common. But if China tips it's hand that even top tier companies will be stolen from and have no recourse - well, I would imagine the exodus from China will be massive.

So - the Chinese party leaders (the real judges in this case) will have to decide; is this shakedown worth the potential blowback?

The world is watching.

1. Frederick Tennant

Re: No fan of Apple, but....

I have to agree with you on this one, Im no fan of Apple, but I don't like bullies, and thieves. All they have done is produce some good products for the mass public and companies are lining up to have a go, or worse try to rob them. Some people are just poor losers.

ps dose anybody remember what the smartphone market was like before Apple had a go?

We all hate lawyers and yet they are the silent winner here.

13. Local Group
    Facepalm

Out of Court settlements

"Xie said that since no final decisions have been reached in various legal disputes over the issue, both sides were "still able to sit together and reach an out-of-court settlement." Apple has shown no indication of willingness to settle."

To reach an acceptable out of court settlement, it's wise to show the other side "no indication of a willingness to settle."

14. Tony Paulazzo
    Headmaster

>We all hate lawyers and yet they are the silent winner here.<

I think Shakespeare had an idea about them and Utopia...

1. Local Group
      Thumb Up

We all hate lawyers

Until they keep us out of jail or save us a quarter of a million in alimony payments.

"You know what, they're nice guys."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like