back to article PS3 component cost halved in 12 months, analyst claims

Sony's PlayStation 3 costs just $400 (£200) to make these days - about half of what the console cost to produce when it was launched in November 2006. So claims Nikko Citigroup analyst Kota Ezawa, BusinessWeek reports. Ezawa puts the reduction down to increased volumes, cheaper components but most particularly much-reduced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reality Synthesizer?

Where on Earth did you dig that name up from? The nVidia chip is named the RSX. There is a marvellous history to the Reality Synthesizer itself (RS vs RSX), which unfortunately this margin is too small to contain.

2. Tim Spence

We want cheaper PS3s!

Why the hell aren't Sony reducing the end cost as they're able to make these things cheaper now?! Do they think we're idiots or something?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We want cheaper idiots!

They should be passing on the reduction to consumers. What a ridiculous thing not to expect. The PS3 is too expensive as a games machine, which is what i want to buy. I still hope they bring out a cheap stripped down model that just plays games. I dont need all the other crap.

4. Iain

@Tim

They already did, or haven't you noticed that a PS3 is now £300, not £425?

This piece of speculation (analysts only have access to the same data as the rest of us) is merely suggesting that they cost $400 to manufacture. Sony then sell them in the US at $400. So not exactly a huge markup to cut.

5. Alex
    Happy

LOL @ Mark

Heh! Yeah, Tim has just walked RIGHT into that one, LOL!!!

6. Brad

@Anon

But it's "all the other crap" that makes the PS3 what it is. It's all software anyway and most of the good extra features have been added after launch, with more to come for sure.

For a console + bluray + media-centre-in-the-making it really isn't such a bad deal.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Greedy, yeah

While we're at it, those bastards at Aston Martin insist on charging £100,000+ for their cars, but I only want to pay £3.50.

Life's just so fucking unfair isn't it?

8. Peter Mc Aulay

Re: Wait for the idiots...

True, but the reaction would still be understandable. That Sony choose to sell the earlier ones at a loss is their problem, not ours.

9. Tim Spence

Sarcasm

Our exports of UK sarcasm obviously still aren't getting through to the US. Damn poor sarcasm-exchange-rate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like