back to article Russian search biz grabs Twitter's fire hose, sprays everywhere

Russian search engine Yandex has laid hands on Twitter's firehouse, adding its stream of data to its search results. Tweets in Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian and Kazakh will pop up in the Yandex Blog Search results, along with top feeds in other languages. "We are currently concentrating on social networking search. This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. It wasnt me

WTF?

Why on earth would anyone want their search results obfuscated / poisoned by the endless streams of utter inanity that make up the twitter stream? Next they'll be indexing the lib-dem manifesto. (Kudos Boris).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: It wasnt me

The reason for this is that it makes it easier for the KGB (sorry FSB) to keep tabs on what anti Putin (sorry tripe) is being said on twatter.

Now all the FSB people need to do is use the search engine and bingo they have all the data they need. No warrants needed, not that the FSB ever needed one anyway.

Anon as I travel to Moscow every month or so.

3. JDX Gold badge

Isn't trying to analyse 140-char messages in such a way to properly return them as relevant results pretty hard, even for those who WANT such things searched?

I wonder if each tweet is treated as a separate page, or if each user's page is... neither approach is exactly accurate since consecutive messages could discuss Libyan politics and Australian beach volleyball.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ranking

Just how do you rank the tiwittereah ? Are 200 tweets of people expressing disgust etc about an item of new s more or less important than the news itself? Is Murdochs view on Scottish independence really news worthy and worth finding in searches?

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Mucky old hose = waste

At a wildguess, I'd say 90% of the stuff coming out of Twitters Fire Hose is pretty foul water with more than a whiff of fecal matter.

Another 9% will only be valid to small circles and in context.

Probably leaves about 1% of links that, for the most part, will have been posted elsewhere too.

All in all, fairly pointless, but no doubt some of the less savoury marketing types will be all over it like flies...

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Mucky old hose = waste

Irony FTW!!

6. disgruntled yank

Firehouse, or fire hose?

Or maybe hydrant?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like