back to article Panasonic outs dual-core Euro-centric Android phone

Panasonic today showed off its upcoming smartphone - it's first for Europe - the Android-based Eluga. The skinny - it's 7.8mm thick and weighs 103g - handset sports a 4.3in, 540 x 960 (qHD) display and packs in near-field communications (NFC) contactless payment and file transfer tech. Panasonic Eluga Android smartphone The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piloti
    Meh

Fuji...

Will be intersting to see how this stacks up against the Fuji also noted on El Reg today.....

1. LarsG

MY

Panasonic microwave lasted 11 years before it died.

Can we expect the same build quality here?

1. Tapeador

Re: MY

Mine melted its door after three months; the magnetron blew after twelve (and no I hadn't been cooking lightbulbs!). I took John Lewis pretty much to the cleaners over that one. This was in 2009.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: MY

Panasonic Quintrix widescreen TV was a complete lemon. Had so many problems with it it put me off Panasonic products for life.

So lets hope the phone build is seriously superior.

2. Spearchucker Jones

Looks a lot like the Samsung Omnia 7

That is all.

3. Ru
    Unhappy

Battery life...

Is it going to be atrocious, or merely awful?

4. Gary F

Do Europeans go swimming a lot with their phones?

Can't think why a phone needs to be able to be submerged in water. Splashproof would be good enough to cope with occasional use in the rain.

Maybe Panasonic want the Olympic swimmers to pose underwater using this new phone?

I guess people who go boating or yachting might appreciate a phone that's waterproof straight out of the box. No awkward 3rd party cases to faff around with if you want a slim touch screen phone.

1. Anonymous John
      Meh

Re: Do Europeans go swimming a lot with their phones?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20081595-71/study-19-percent-of-people-drop-phones-down-toilet/

Mind you, they could be insurance frauds with the purpose of upgrading for free.

2. Gerhard Mack

it happens

I recall a few years back taking an accidental dunk in a Montreal river with my phone still in my pocket. I would probably pay a bit extra if my next phone was waterproof.

3. Shane McCarrick

Europeans don't go swimming a lot with their mobile phones, no- however dropping the phone in the toilet is no. 4 on the insurance claim list for mobile damage in Ireland- and no. 5 in Germany.......... I don't even want to think about how/why people feel the need to mess with their phones on the bog..........

1. The Wegie

Re: Re: Do Europeans go swimming a lot with their phones?

@Stuart McCarrick -- some of us are just people who habitually keep our phones in our trouser back pockets. The iPhone that is no more had hit the toilet floor from the back pocket many times before the day when the bloody thing popped out and headed bowlwards as I was sitting down.

2. Hans 1
        Joke

Re: Re: Do Europeans go swimming a lot with their phones?

"dropping the phone in the toilet is no. 4 on the insurance claim list for mobile damage in Ireland- and no. 5 in Germany"

Must be Windows Phone mobiles, as that is where they belong!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Must be Windows Phone mobiles, as that is where they belong!

More bollox. Do you have one? Have you tried one? No!

Ah!

Next comment..........

4. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

This is probably one of the most stupid comments i've read.

"Sir, would you like your phone to work if you accidentally droped it in water, or not"

"Hmmm, no I think I'd rather it break"

WTF!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Size

I used to wonder why all these wallies went around carrying their phones in their hands. Must be just some chlldish attempt at oneupmanship, I decided. But I now realise that the reason is that 'smartphones' are all too damn big to fit in a pocket. I will continue to stick to my non-smart phone and when I need internet access use a device with a proper sized screen rather than a silly compromise.

6. Joe Montana
    FAIL

Android version?

A brand new phone, running Android 2.3.x ?

It's bad enough that phones aren't being updated, but to release a new one that runs an outdated software version?

1. Anonymous John

Re: Android version?

The specs in the article link says "Android 4.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) Update available from spring 2012". Although I don't see why it isn't being sold with ICS installed.

7. Dan Paul
    Devil

IP57 is not really a waterpoof rating, IP68 would be

I hate to be petty, but technically IP57 is incorrectly described in the specs. The first number, 5 stands for Dust Protected and the second number, 7 stands for 1 Meter for 30 minutes Immersion. A truly Water Proof, Submersible rating is IP68 (fully submersible to 30 meters, usually rated for 24 hours, See Rolex) while the stated IP57 would be considered "highly water resistant" See Timex).

IP68 also applies when the enclosure has been opened and closed numerous times. IP57 does not include the enclosure ever being opened,

Oh, And I'm willing to bet they are "Self certifying" the IP rating with no 3rd party testing.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: IP57 is not really a waterpoof rating, IP68 would be

Um, call me pedantic if you will, but I'd call a device that can survive fully immersed in water for a short period water-proof. Yes, there are devices that are water-proof to greater depths, but that's a different discussion.

GJC

2. Piro Silver badge
      Pint

Still, now you've explained it, that sounds more than good enough for a phone.

But I do agree, that would need to be clarified in the documents. You can't just take it for a dive, but a drop in the bog or the bath would be fine.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hate to be petty....BUT, you will be.

8. Tapeador
    Meh

I hope it's better built

than their microwave ovens.

Mine melted its door after three months, then blew up after twelve. Much the same story for other purchasers, reading on Amazon.

9. Arctic fox
    Facepalm

RE:"The phone uses iPhone-style Micro Sim cards."

What on earth was it about micro sim cards that required that A Certain Phone be mentioned? What on earth was the relevance here? Apple certainly love it when lazy writing treats their product as a kind of SI unit to be mentioned on every conceivable (and inconceivable) occasion but I think that we should resist this kind of thing.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharp corners?

They don't look very comfortable in, or good for, trouser pockets :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sharp corners?

I suppose you have to be careful when giving them to children!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like