back to article Nokia shutters German handset factory

Nokia is shut down its Bochum plant in Germany by mid 2008. The closure will affect at least 2,300 Nokia employees, the company said today. Veli Sundbäck, executive vice president of Nokia and chairman of the supervisory board of Nokia GmbH, says production of mobile devices in Germany is no longer feasible due to market …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hooray for Germany the worker's paradise!

Hooray for Germany the worker's paradise! Unionized IT workers!! YES!!!

Oh, the factory's closing? I'll get me coat...

2. Frank Bough
    Unhappy

Has China

overtaken Germany yet as the world's largest exporter?

3. Andrew Cannon
    Unhappy

China

China manufactures 50% of the worlds consumer goods and 90% of the world's toys.

Draw your own conclusions.

Forget learning French or German at school, you might as well learn Mandarin (or whatever dialect the Chinese actually speak). We'll all be speaking it in 30 years time when China rules the world.

Andy

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shutters? Shutters?

Why this Americanism 'shutters'? Will Nokia be carefully commissioning made-to-measure reinforced shutters for every window and door to the plant, or are they just going to SHUT it and lock the gates? Shut, not shutter, please, unless it is literally true.

I feel better now - thanks for listening.

5. Sebastian Brosig

Bochum

I studied in Bochum... They named the train station after Nokia, whcih had been known as "Bochum Graez" before when Graez made TV sets on the site that was later Nokias'. I wonder what they will call it now: "Bochum Dole Office" most likely.

6. Albert Gonzalez
    Flame

China @Andrew

Don't worry, in 30 years you'll still be speaking whatever you speak now.

In 30 years, chinese workers will earn as you now, will have unions, holidays, etc., so they won't be competitive, and production will go to other countries, that will have better work per penny ratio.

There is no way t be sure your job will last, you can only try your best.

7. Si
    Thumb Down

Typical Eastern European rubbish

Like everything it's either going to China or to Eastern Europe (where the line workers are paid in chickens). When they said they were moving manufacturing to Eastern Europe I thought they meant the UK, as that's where most of them live now. Nice to see them taking jobs off those other than the Brits for a change. I won't be buying Nokia out of principal now, especially as the build quality is set for a nose dive. Nobody builds better than the Germans.

8. Former Nokia Fan
    Stop

This company is reckless. They would stop at nothing!

Boycott Nokia mobile phones! Stop these insane managers!

They collectet in total 88,000,000 EUROs of subsidies for the factory in Germany. Since the contract ran out in September 2006 they looked for new subsidees in other countries. And they finally found a 33,000,000 EURO-subsidy in Romania paid by the EU-Council. And this is the only reason why they go there, nothing else. It is really unbelievable a company can ruin the future of 4000 people and their familes like that.

Currently there is a boycott going on all over Germany. The sales of Nokia mobile phones and other equipment went down drastically. And Germany is a very important market for Nokia, since they have a market share of tremendous 60% there !!! Now they will lose many clients among the 82,000,000 Germans. Figure out the losses! The stock price will be affected certainly. So better get rid of them very quickly.

By the way, the plant in Germany is very profitable and there is no reason to shut it down. Nokia claims the wages in Germany are much higher than in Romania - this very exagerated. But another fact is way more interesting: The labour costs make only a 5% of the total production costs!! Nokia is only going for profit which will come mainly through the subsidies. Really disgusting! So please:

Boycott Nokia! Stop buying mobile phones from Nokia!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing insane about this.

Stop being a child. What Nokia did is perfectly legal, and the insanity of the german labour system (with workers councils that have ultimate approval rights for absolutely everything) is a total disincentive for any company to employ significant amount of staff in the country.

If the contract ran out in 2006, then the company has had ever since that time - complete right to decide what to do with its operations. I am surprised they did not move sooner.

I also think you are grossly exaggerating the effect of any boycott campaign in Germany, which will no doubt dry up in a week or two, after the politicians have had their fieldday in the press.

Nokia, as any company, is constantly trying to drive their production costs down, especially as the demand for low- and midcost phones is growing. One part of this is to look for locations with the cheap labourcosts for production tasks.

With regards to the subsidies, I would assume (depending on how long the contract period was), that Nokia paid considerably more back to the Germany society through taxes, social fees and salaries to the employees. It was a lucrative, although not a permanent, arrangement for Bochum.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like