back to article Fujitsu tempts Europe to splash cash on waterproof mobes

Japanese firm Fujitsu is gearing up to launch its smartphones and tablets in Europe, taking on incumbents Apple and Samsung. The company will be showcasing two mobiles and a slab at next week's Mobile World Congress (MWC) conference in Barcelona, and said it will lob its products at the market within the year. Fujitsu is not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru

They've made interesting things in the past...

Plenty of nifty mini-laptops and the like. They've been absolutely atrocious about supporting them though. Crazy hardware with unmaintained closed source drivers are the usual problem, though hardly exclusive to Fujitsu.

2. Chazmon

A water proof phone would be great however in my experince with marine electronics (mainly small boat sailing and extensive kayaking) waterproof and capable of sitting in salt water for extended periods of time as well as put up with the vigours of knocking around in the back of a boat are two very different things.

I will take some convincing to part with my nokia 3310 in a sealed dry bag.

3. Audrey S. Thackeray

Waterproof tablet would be ideal for me - reading in the bath being hazardous for both electronic and dead-tree reading material.

4. JeevesMkII
    Go

Someone tell Amazon to make a damn waterproof ebook reader so I can buy one already. How long must we go before they realise that "reading in the bath" is their major use case?

5. Kernel

A waterproof, floating, phone has its uses - my daughter-in-law has a habit of dropping her phone when entering and leaving home, which is an expensive hobby when you live on a boat.

6. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

My previous phone...

...was a Motorola Defy. The look on the faces of collegues when I casually washed it, with liquid soap, under a running tap, was worth every penny I will have paid for it. Plus it was nifty to take video and photos in arduous weather (France's little hurricane last December) without worrying about my equipment dying. If they make an HD capable version, that may well be my next phone...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Tell that to Dick Smith, Oh, too late

http://failblog.org/2011/01/07/epic-fail-photos-floating-demo-fail/

8. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Water-resistant devices have great potential

In many areas of the world, where extreme weather conditions occur, water-resistant devices are needed even by the average Joe.

Siemens has made a reasonable income from selling such cell phones.

Tropical countries experience downpours that have a lot in common with a shower turned full on. Most cell phone holders offer little protection. Several friends have discovered another weakness with the iPhone - the main board is very susceptible to rain damage - not immersion - and replacing a main board involves a great deal of cash.

I personally use sandwich bags to protect my personal electronics, but care is required to make sure the nags are folded carefully when putting the cell in to their holster or container.

9. druck Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

"Still, a phone folks can safely drop in the toilet could well make a splash."

Brilliant pun aside, I'd rather it broke and so I could get replacement on the insurance. I don't fancy pressing something against my face that had been swimming with the turds!

1. Groaning Ninny

" I don't fancy pressing something against my face that had been swimming with the turds!"

I trust you wipe your rear after performing the rite of defecation? Hmm...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like