back to article Football rights value soars in wake of TV Now lawsuit

As previously noted by The Register, the rent-seekers of the rights industry and their rentable shills have warned of doom and dire disaster in the wake of the “football versus Optus” court case. If Optus’ TV Now service isn’t squashed by the High Court or legislation, they argue, then rights to live sports will be worthless, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a surprise at all really

Previously the TV stations bid for the "TV" rights, and the Telco's bid for the "online" rights.

Two recent Federal Court rulings (this one and the radio one) have both clearly said that the "market" is for viewers, and not the medium of delivery. So now both TV stations and Telco's are in the same market, and get to compete against each other. More buyers in the market, prices go up.

2. Wombling_Free
    Thumb Up

Thugby Plague go bye-bye?

Please, PLEASE let there be some horridly written legislation that puts Thugby Plague onto some locked-in-contract expensive pay-per-view option. What with the pokies and alcohol sales, it's the only way the poor Thugby Plague clubs can make any money at all to pay for their drug-and-prosititute-and-pay-off-rape-claim binges.

The less Thugby Plague, the better.

1. g e
      Thumb Up

Absolutely

Along with Football (soccer), Football (from Americaland), Golf and Athletics.

Perhaps Celebrity-Get-Me-Paid-For-This and Look-At-Our-Lack-Of-Talent and co could all feck off to their own channel, too.

Then I might dare to turn the TV back without selecting the PS3 input first...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thugby Plague go bye-bye?

Personally I'd prefer them to sod-off entirely to pay-per-view but without receiving any sizeable amount of money whatsoever seeing as the "stars" are merely juiced-up tattooed nightclub doormen and site labourers who cannot think past getting smashed and starting fights/assaulting women/pissing in the street. Football for shitheads is all it is - played by thugs and watched by thugs.

3. Tom 35

The end of the world

The world ended when VCRs didn't get banned, then again when MP3 players didn't get banned.

So no biggie if the world ends again.

1. NickyD
      Trollface

Re: The end of the world

I still haven't recovered from hope taping killing music.

4. Velv
    Mushroom

So if the value of the rights is going to soar, then more needs to be done to ensure the money is used in a more socially responsible manner. We have professional sports players and associated crew who are paid more than the bankers we hate.

Clubs, TV, media, etc need to spread the money better across lower level clubs to encourage grass roots sport and improve communities. It is, after all, simply an investment on their own future, something most of them haven't until now properly embraced.

If ever there was justification for an 75% tax band it is professional footballers.

This topic is closed for new posts.